If you use speakers outdoors, what do you use?

jacksonbart

I am looking for rock speakers but am open, although being able to blend into the surroundings is important. I would like something that can take the weather. I know many forum members actually will carry out large indoor speakers for special events and yes the sound would be best, but I would like some nice speakers to position on the hill facing the house for decent sound. Cable has already been run so the rest should be relativily easy.

post-16829-13819555754596_thumb.jpg

post-16829-138195819365_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

decent sound

I think that's the crux of your question/issue/problem. If for example, you carried a single Heresy out there and listened to it.... would that suffice sonically? Could you go 1/2 size Heresy? 1/8 size? How about a transistor radio?

If the Heresy would not suffice, then you start to see the issue of getting a 'rock' speaker that is smaller than the Heresy. If you want ambient "sound" as opposed to some high quality sounds, the Rock speakers might work.

I'm in the camp of obtain some industrial Heresy's, Cornwalls, LaScalas and drag them back/forth. After all, the wire is already there so it's not like it's going to be laying across the yard as a tripping hazzard.

You must discount my thoughts, because I'm lusting to get a pair of MWM's so I could carry them out for a nice yard party.

I'll shut up now.

[:#]

• Moderators

I am the wrong person to answer this question.

What ever you use it would probably be best to bring them inside in the winter, I remember a pic of your yard in the winter, only a rock could survive that cold.

Great looking yard !

I have a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers. I think they're SA-2s or something similar. They're white and can take any weather but probably wouldn't blend in too well. They don't look like rocks but they do rock! The rock speakers don't sound as good but they do look like rocks!

I use KG 4.2's outside that I only paid $150.00 for the pair. They're light and sound great outside. If I get too hammered and forget to cover them up or bring them inside and they get damaged, oh well. It must have been a great party at least. [:o][D]

I am the wrong person to answer this question.

What ever you use it would probably be best to bring them inside in the winter, I remember a pic of your yard in the winter, only a rock could survive that cold.

Great looking yard !

Oh yes Elden! MCM stacks and bring them in. [:|]

Here's another thought on this subject:

From the Home Depot...

Headphones.jpg Headphones picture by Boxx44

Ryobi
Tek4 4V Noise Suppression Headphones

Model RP4530

$69.97 Ships FREE
with $249.00 Order

Inexpensive and easy to use. Not only can you relax in the back yard with excellent AM/FM music, your ears are protected if you decide to mow the grass. You can beat that!!!

Until I found a pair of A/D/S L400s I was using a pair of A/D/S L300e's (e=environmental). These speakers are roughly 10" tall and 8" wide and 8" deep. If you were to try a pair I know you would be impressed. I think it would be easy to incorporate them into your landscaping by painting them to match the stone color. I like the ADS speakers so much that I have collected 1pr of l200e's 2pr of l300e's and 1 pr of l400's. I also picked up 1 L310e and it is as good as the l300e but with a slightly different enclosure.

Maybe hang a pair of palladiums from the big tree in tree in the foreground?????????????

Then have a couple of vodkas- put on some Marie Osmond- and pop squirrels with a pellet gun with when they come out to see where all the noise is coming from

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![D]

• Moderators

Then have a couple of vodkas- put on some Marie Osmond- and pop squirrels with a pellet gun with when they come out to see where all the noise is coming from

Hey, you have him confused with that trouble makin', dog face paintin', trouble makin' Coytee guy that hangs around here![;)] You know the one that has those plug ugly Jubs and is now lusting after MWMs. Well guess what Coytee.....even if you do get MWMs we aren't letting you on our list of MWM owners, it's a "private" list and you aren't invited.[;)] Now where did I put that list..........

I use some old cornwalls out on the basement patio when I want outdoor tunes. They are the biggest speakers I can still pick up and carry by myself. Otherwise I'd have my lascalas out there. The MWMs can't be moved. They are just too stinking big and are stuck in the house. But anytime I have the outdoor system running the indoor one is on too thanks to the dual outputs on my Jolida CDP.

Forget about the looks, someone will steal your rock speakers if you leave them out there. Just carry the speakers out when you want tunes. Go as big as you can handle.

To all of you disrespecting Marie Osmond... all I have to say is, where did your parents go wrong.... [:#] [:#]

JB, I didn't notice any comment from you yet.... are you looking for some background 'sounds' as you and some guests clink your wine glasses together or, are you looking for something with more bark?

If I'm working outside I'll open up my windows and crank the volume to 11. I'm here to tell you that it sounds fantastic while outside. It's a visceral aural assult if you are INSIDE but outside, it's pretty freaking fantastic.

This is without having to move anything other than a window pane and my two fingers to turn the volume.

This would not work during a wine tasting type event. It might however, work during one of your by invitation only rock climbing parties.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I will be playing Marie Osmond outside or inside. Shooting squirrels, downing vodka martinis (no more than two, or three, more than three and I loose count), having a fire in the fire pit and enjoying a cigar are some of my favorite hobbies. For me outside listening is never going to critical listening, so I am comfortable with a few compromises, as there is too much background noise of birds, crickets, wind, squirrels in the throws of death, etc. The idea of having to crawl up into the rocks to take indoor speakers back inside does not thrill me. I play music outside on a pretty regular basis as I putz around the in the backyard. I try to be courteous to my neighbors and find I can enjoy music at higher volumes localized if the speakers are pointed towards out house rather than pointing away from it. The Rocks in the back yard also offer a way to get them close to ear level. With the current set up you can play them at a decent volume and you can’t really hear it at the property line. The wires are already run, in fact you can see the current speakers in the picture above, but they are shot. I have the wires running into the basement connected to an old receiver and an Olive music server. I then control the server outside via a laptop and have full access to all of my music/playlists. I have ordered a pair of larger rock speakers on-line, taking a shot not have listened to them. Hopefully they work out. I also brought some olive green flat mat spray paint to add a little green (moss) to their grayish color.