If you use speakers outdoors, what do you use?

jacksonbart

Yeah, I think I see them. Those little gray things? I'm sorry.........I thought you wanted to play some music. [:D] The birds probably eat out of those feeders with those little things playing right there next to them. The rocks should be better.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah when I want to play some music, I retire to the movie room in the basement.

When listening outside, the birds still hit the feaders, I have no idea what they must think of it.

Cardinals favor Classic Rock

Finches enjoy the blues

Crows like heavy metal

Wookpeckers prefer Southern Rock.

I have rock speakers in my back yard. I have the outdoorspeakerdepto.com RS790(HF9). They are 8" Rock Speakerss and go for about $280/pr. These speakers really surprised me with how great they sound. I mean really suprised. If you want to spend more they have a huge selection including larger ones and even subwoofer rocks. After about 5 years outside in the weather, rain and snow, one of them got filled with water, so I ordered another pair, but I made a mistake and ordered the RS670(HF7) which is about the same thing, but a smaller 6.5" rock speaker that goes for only $130/pr. A step below the RS790, but still impressive for the price. To me, outdoor sound is better coming from the ground, rather than the typical outdoor speakers mounted high on the back of the house.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I will be playing Marie Osmond outside or inside. Shooting squirrels, downing vodka martinis (no more than two, or three, more than three and I loose count), having a fire in the fire pit and enjoying a cigar are some of my favorite hobbies. For me outside listening is never going to critical listening, so I am comfortable with a few compromises, as there is too much background noise of birds, crickets, wind, squirrels in the throws of death, etc. The idea of having to crawl up into the rocks to take indoor speakers back inside does not thrill me. I play music outside on a pretty regular basis as I putz around the in the backyard. I try to be courteous to my neighbors and find I can enjoy music at higher volumes localized if the speakers are pointed towards out house rather than pointing away from it. The Rocks in the back yard also offer a way to get them close to ear level. With the current set up you can play them at a decent volume and you can’t really hear it at the property line. The wires are already run, in fact you can see the current speakers in the picture above, but they are shot. I have the wires running into the basement connected to an old receiver and an Olive music server. I then control the server outside via a laptop and have full access to all of my music/playlists. I have ordered a pair of larger rock speakers on-line, taking a shot not have listened to them. Hopefully they work out. I also brought some olive green flat mat spray paint to add a little green (moss) to their grayish color.

Perhaps your longest post ever, congrats!

Playing Marie Osmond outside might negate the need for you to shoot squirrels. Then again... perhaps it will cause you to shoot your neighbors?

Interesting choice. You don't work for the postal system, do you?

post-15072-13819556128072_thumb.gif

post-15072-13819582230442_thumb.gif

Crows like heavy metal

This is probably thier favorite album:

Tarot - Crows Fly Black:

51kd0yePBRL._SS400_.jpg

41e90wS9v4L._SS400_.jpg

Anyway, I just use a couple of the AWR-650 "Rock" speakers on my deck. They sound quite good for my needs plus I could just leave them out there as opposed to dragging out a pair of LaScalas or something like that everytime I want to listen. Right now, I don't have it hooked up yet. I wanted to this weekend, but Easter kinda got in the way (you know - gotta go visit the parents and what not). Will have to try to start getting that all hooked up this week and upcoming weekend.

Open the windows and crank it up.

My first choice as well.......but the siding on the house rattles, hums and vibrates to the point that it's extremely distracting.

Gotta go with brick next time. [:^)]

• Klipsch Employees

You need to look at the AW-650-SM from Klipsch. It will do a fine job. the port is tuned at 43 Hz and you get about 130 deg of coverage from one cabinet. It can run in stereo or mono. (8 ohm's per voice coil)

You DO NOT have to bring them in for the winter, as I have tested them down to -28c....Now you will need to let them warm up a bit before using them but once the ice is gone they will work just fine.

I have played them while in water to the point of making bubbles from the port. They passed the drop test of 3 ft on concret. they don't handle tons of power, but you wont need a ton with a 94db sensitivity ratting.

These things sound good and are tough...plus that was my project. ;)

I use a single AW-800SW subwoofer which is a dual cone woofer (takes both channels in one cabinet). It is mounted in the eave of the shop aimed straight down to horn load against the building and keep weather out. This take care of 50-150 hz, and outputs 150Hz and above to a single Stereo ROCK speaker located some 20 feet away. They are powered by a BGW150 amp and it absolutely rocks over quite a large area. The neat thing is that you can't really tell where the sound is coming from, especially the bass, it's just all over!

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

I used the AW400 (pair) and LOVED them, but we just had to move without warning to an apartment. I had a 40w gainclone on them and it was incredible. I used to love sitting out by the fire with my son and we lately had been listening to Desifinado.I was going to get the sub but never did and these dig well actually; I can't imagine how amazing this setup would sound with the sub, especially for an outdoor rig.