If you use speakers outdoors, what do you use?

jacksonbart

These are what I use outdoors. Of course I wheel them back in the garage when I'm done.

Nice... I think we heard them cranked up, the other night, in the Dallas area... lol...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice... I think we heard them cranked up, the other night, in the Dallas area... lol...

LOL, maybe not Dallas, but at least a couple blocks. We're going to fire them up again on the 22'nd while we sacrifice some crawdads.[:P]

I updated my outdoor speakers last year and went with 2 pair of the AW-525's. I am very happy with the sound and look forward to listening to them for many summers to come. They will clash with your outdoor decor JB, but if the rock speakers don't work out, I would give these a listen.

You need to look at the AW-650-SM from Klipsch. It will do a fine job. the port is tuned at 43 Hz and you get about 130 deg of coverage from one cabinet. It can run in stereo or mono. (8 ohm's per voice coil)

You DO NOT have to bring them in for the winter, as I have tested them down to -28c....Now you will need to let them warm up a bit before using them but once the ice is gone they will work just fine.

I have played them while in water to the point of making bubbles from the port. They passed the drop test of 3 ft on concret. they don't handle tons of power, but you wont need a ton with a 94db sensitivity ratting.

These things sound good and are tough...plus that was my project. ;)

Good - glad to hear that, as I hope I don't have to hassle with bringing those rocks in.

Here they are, deployed on my deck:

KlipschRocks001Medium.jpg

KlipschRocks002Medium.jpg

I may have to go back and re-paint that red one to match the grey one. Noticed that the red one is on the right. [;)][8]

I got them hooked up to a Denon DRA-397 two-channel reciever. Works and sounds really good for this application. I am actually pretty darn amazed at the clarity of the sound I get out of these things, even in an outdoor setting. BTW, my patio furniture has since arrived. Once we get some decent weather here again, I'll have to take some pics of the complete outdoor setup, including patio furniture, grill and speakers.