What a deal, I'm officially freaking out!!!

handrewmoore

Thanks guys, makes me feel more justified in my purchase. I've been moving the speakers around the room and have found a pretty sweet spot, toeing them in at 45 degrees made a big difference. One is in a corner proper the other I made a false corner with a shelf (best I could do given the room). I'm still tuning in the amp's eq, just when I got it right last night, I moved the speakers and now have to change the eq again.

I think I'm going to leave everything as is for a while, get used to the sound before I decide to start refreshing caps and diaphragms.

I am having an issue with the stereo channels though, I'm not sure what is going on. The channels are correct, right and left are as they should be, but when I move the balance knob to the right, the sound shifts to the left and visa versa. I've tried switching the L&R inputs and different components, checked the speaker wires, checked the different phase selection. Makes me think that it's something internal in the Mac. However, when the balance button is at noon, stereo is perfect and right and left are in proper places. I've checked some songs on another stereo and my computer to make sure the channels are right, and they are. I can live with it, but I'd like to know what is going on. Someone mentioned a guy named Terry Dewick that does Mac refurbs, maybe I should give him a call.

Any ideas?

Thanks again, I'm pretty pumped.

Great find on such nice Forte IIs!!! Like others have suggested new caps in the crossovers or maybe titanium tweeters for future upgrades but nothing wrong with enjoying them the way they are now.

I've heard a lot of people on this thread saying 45 degrees of toe in which sounds like a lot too me. I've read it here and found for myself that if I have them toe'd in that much the the horns sounded a little too hot for me. Just a few degrees toe in and I get great imaging from them. This was before the crossovers and tweeters were changed so I should revisit playing with placement and see what I think now.