Low Compliance, "MM" Cartridge Help

MaynardF

I'm having a hard time finding a cartridge that meets all my requirements, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions you could give. I have a Thorens TD160 with the TP-16 tonearm (16.5 grams). I'll be usng it with a Scott 299 that is at NOS Valves being rebuilt. Craig @ NOS has suggested a "MM" cartridge with 2.5 to 5 mV output. Using the formula on the "Analog Dept" website, the only ones I've found that fit the criteria are the Audio Technica AT440MLa and the AT150MLX. The reviews I've read on the 440MLa say that it is "Overly bright", and I havn't found too many reviews on the 150MLX. If anyone has used or heard either of these, please give me your opinions. The problem seems to be not enough low compliance cartridges to choose from. Am I being too strict with the "Formula" , or is that the correct way to go. I listen to a lot of jazz, some rock, and a lot of female voices. Some cartridges have a problem with the female voice and sibilance, which I want to avoid. The speakers will be Cornwalls, and the price limit is $300. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have the same TT and arm, I purchased a Shure M97xE and have been very happy with it. I currently have it connection with a Mac C28, MC2105 and Corns, I've had this setup for a year

Now this is my first endeavor into TT and my first cart so I have nothing to compare it to but man, it sure does sound good.

James

I purchased a Shure M97xE and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked but couldn't find a compliance spec for that cartridge.

I also have had good luck with the Shure M97xe, but I broke mine and can't find another one anywhere, for a reasonable price. They seem to be out of stock everywhere, but used ones. [:S]

Dennie

I have the same table setup, but with an Ortofon Super OM20. I cant compare it to the others as I have never heard them, but through my Cornwalls it sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the info, that's good to know but also raises a question. The compliance on that cartridge is 25 and if I plug that and the other numbers into the formula I get 6.7 which is too low. But, it works great for you. The Shure cartridge previously suggested doesn't list the compliance, and in the specs it says, "Works with all mass tone arms". Hopefully one of the turntable experts can clear this up...