Cleaning Woofers

rmlowz

Hello,

I should have my 4 MWM-S bass bins all painted by this weekend. The K43 woofers appear to be in good shape. I was wondering if it would be OK to clean them with a blower from an air compressor and to clean the woofer with a damp cloth? What do my forum friends think about this will the air or damp cloth damage the woofers?

Thanks,

Rich

Cleaning your woofers huh?

Lemme see....how do I spell r-e-t-e-n-t-i-v-e? [:P]

[;)]

What are these things made out of? Paper? Plastic? Do they take on water?

I'd be careful with the compressor if it's near them. (start far and see what happens so the air doesn't rip anything). Also...do you have an automatic oiler in your compressor system? I'd be cautious about that if you do.

Damp cloth.... I'd probably pass if they are a material that can absorb moisture. If they're some kind of poly-somethingoranotherthatIcantpronounce, then maybe it wouldn't matter.

I'd probably just take a feather duster to them and then from a distance, a short easy blast of air from the compressor.

Hello Richard,

Maybe I am being to picky but I wanted everything to be clean and painted up fresh. My compressor does not have an oilier. The woofers are made of paper I think. The surrounds are made up of it looks like rubber coated paper. I will try the stand back with the blower approach.

Rich

Just a FYI, but I had 2-3 emails bounced back to me yesterday AND today. They were regarding our conversation on Epson's.

Here's what I received back.... have you received anything from me yesterday/today?

This is the mail system at host smtp.nxs.net.

####################################################################
# THIS IS A WARNING ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. #
####################################################################

Your message could not be delivered for more than 2 hour(s).
It will be retried until it is 5 day(s) old.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<rmlowz@austin.rr.com>: host hrndva-smtpin02.mail.rr.com[71.74.56.244] refused
to talk to me: 554 5.7.1 - ERROR: Mail refused - <198.144.160.59> - See
http://security.rr.com/cgi-bin/block-lookup?198.144.160.59

Received: from richard (c-76-114-73-166.hsd1.tn.comcast.net [76.114.73.166])
(Authenticated sender: ralbright@nxs.net)
by smtp.nxs.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id CA2B01F8B6CD
for <rmlowz@austin.rr.com>; Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:27:11 -0500 (CDT)
Message-ID: <9850E4B2167547F19A8C8E20F1ACB62E@richard>
To: "Rich" <rmlowz@austin.rr.com>
References: <12A6C102A51D4809ABFE2D096D6697C5@richard> <00f201cac7ca$40f48b90$c2dda2b0$@rr.com> <5C5FB56806194668B939F332E8C01C03@richard> <007401caca1a$f990b050$ecb210f0$@rr.com>
Subject: Re: Projectors
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:27:10 -0400
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00B3_01CACB4D.53554D20"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579

Some type of feather duster or one of those wooly or poly dusters, followed by a stylus brush on the stylus at moderate volume, followed by your favorite bass shaking music for the afternoon. That should do it. Avoid moisture, you might try a microfiber cloth also.

moderate volume, followed by your favorite bass shaking music for the afternoon

MWM bass cabinets... moderate volume? At residential listening levels I doubt a laser micrometer could tell if those woofers will be moving at all.

Did you know Rich has never heard the MWM bass cabinets mated with K402's on top? He has absolutely zero idea what he's in for.

I can almost not bear the anticipation, waiting for him to get these finished, hooked up and simply astound himself with what he's hearing. I'm really looking forward to reading what he has to say after he's been physically assaulted and mauled over by his first listening experience.

[8]

Like has been mentioned, I clean my woofers with the VOLUME Control. If I think they are getting a little dusty, I turn it up and blow the dust off of them![:P]

Compressed air and moisture both sound like they could do damage! [N]

Dennie

moderate volume, followed by your favorite bass shaking music for the afternoon

MWM bass cabinets... moderate volume? At residential listening levels I doubt a laser micrometer could tell if those woofers will be moving at all.

Did you know Rich has never heard the MWM bass cabinets mated with K402's on top? He has absolutely zero idea what he's in for.

I can almost not bear the anticipation, waiting for him to get these finished, hooked up and simply astound himself with what he's hearing. I'm really looking forward to reading what he has to say after he's been physically assaulted and mauled over by his first listening experience.

Music

LOL, I knew someone would appreciate it.

I've used compressed air without any issues at all. Just don't be stupid with it and get too close. If you are still unsure get a can of spray air at Home Depot and use that (much less pressure). I wouldn't use any water, cleaners, or damp rags on the speakers.