Use subwoofer without preamp pod

I have a set of Promedia 2.1 speakers that have a bad din plug. The sub would work but the left speaker would not and if you moved the dom plug it would pop. I am now using the subwoofer for my home 5.1 system. I was just running the pre amp signal from my home reciever through the pod with the volume controls since the sub still worked. I recently moved the sub and bumped the already damaged din plug and now nothing works.

Is there anyway I can bypass the pod? I would like to run the preamp signal directly from my home reciever to the sub amp. I only want the subwoofer to work, I dont care about the other speakers. Is there a set of pins on the subs input that is used for the sub preamp signal?

You should get a new DIN plug from Ebay; this forum, or Radio Shack.

You kinda need that volume and sub gain knob..... My sub has these functions; why would you want to disable them?

It would be a PITA to have to change sub gain on your receiver everytime you are listening/ watching something else......

It is a simple soldering job to remove and replace with a new plug......

Good Luck.

I was trying to avoid spending any money on this. I know its only $15 shipped but if I can make it work for free then why not. Its quick and easy to adjust the subwoofer with my receiver by the remote so that isnt really a problem. I may end up buying a new plug from Mr. Clean off ebay anyway.

I did try replacing the din plug with one that had 2 less wires coming out of it. I wired everything up using diagrams found here and google but bypassed the left and right signal wires. I figured i didnt care about those anyway so it wouldnt matter. Well, it wont do anything with it like that, I dont get any signal to the sub. I guess it uses those also even though the sub has its own wire?

Thanks for the help.[Y]

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...