LaScala Crossovers wanted

Jim Gieringer

Does anyone have a pair of LaScala Crossovers they would like to sell? I picked up a pair of solidly built homebrew LaScala's for $20! but one is missing its xover. The ALK's are Very Nice but TOO nice for these, new ones from Klipsch are listed at $152 ea., I'm hoping for a budget-priced pair to get these playing!

A few people have referenced kits for the LS - could someone pass along internet sites that have the plans? I'm curious as to their origin. The fiberglass mid-horns are pretty nice but thin and seem larger than original Klipsch. The crossover doesn't look like other Klipsch X/O's I've seen. The mid compression driver is an Atlas PD-20. The highs are a metal horn Radio Shack, larger than the EV T-35's. I'm not sure what make the woofers are, haven't figured how to get into the chamber yet.

I posted some pictures & drawing with dimensions of these spkrs at http://www.cyberhighway.net/~jpg/LaScalaCopy/

Thanks, Jim

I have a pair of Type ALs either of you can have. I'll take 1/2 of new. You should be aware that the Type AL is designed for a 109 dB, 16 ohm midrange driver, like the K-55-M. You can use it with another driver, but you may have to modify it. Several of us, esp. Al, can help with that.

John

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Gieringer:

Does anyone have a pair of LaScala Crossovers they would like to sell? I picked up a pair of solidly built homebrew LaScala's for $20! but one is missing its xover. The ALK's are Very Nice but TOO nice for these, new ones from Klipsch are listed at $152 ea., I'm hoping for a budget-priced pair to get these playing!

A few people have referenced kits for the LS - could someone pass along internet sites that have the plans? I'm curious as to their origin. The fiberglass mid-horns are pretty nice but thin and seem larger than original Klipsch. The crossover doesn't look like other Klipsch X/O's I've seen. The mid compression driver is an Atlas PD-20. The highs are a metal horn Radio Shack, larger than the EV T-35's. I'm not sure what make the woofers are, haven't figured how to get into the chamber yet.

I posted some pictures & drawing with dimensions of these spkrs at

Thanks, Jim

LA SCALA

K-33-E WOOFER 121501 100.00

K-55-M MIDRANGE ***'Y 128005 186.00

K-77-M TWEETER ***'Y 129001 198.00

K-401 HORN 130117 196.00

NETWORK (AL-3) 116005 152.00

A friend of mine owns a Ferarri.Sort of.Its actually a Fiero with a kit car body.If he needs a fuel pump he goes to the Pontiac dealer.Your cabinets look pretty well built for home made.But you can't just buy a pair of Klipsch networks for them.That looks like an Atlas PD4 not a PD20.It doesn't matter because neither will work well with a stock LaScala network.Ditto the tweeter.I cut and pasted the MSRP for the parts you need up above.Remember you need two of everything.I have a used pair of AA networks and the matching tweeters,mid drivers and mid horns.The tweeters have new diaphragms.I would drop them off at a pack and ship place for $350.Buy a new pair of K33E from Klipsch for $200 and you are in business.$1664 for new LaScala parts with AL3 networks or $550 for used K55V mids and AA networks with new woofs and tweets.

quote:

Originally posted by Al Klappenberger:

Hi Guys,

yes, the K55V driver will require a tap on the T4 transformer that isn't there. You will have to replace the T4s with the UTC T2a upgrades and use tap #4. Th T4 only has tap #3.

Al K.

Al,If you look at Jim's photos closely you will see that the top plate is pinned to the magnet so it it most likely a PD4 and not a PD5 which has six screws on top.The PD4 has no phase plug,no high end,no efficency,and is no longer made.It is possible to make work with a tweeter that goes to 2khz and a whole different network.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Gieringer:

Here's pics of PD-20 drivers.

Point well taken on choosing the correct parts. Consider my friend with the rusty old AMC Gremlin... he puts on $10 used tires when he gets a flat and doesn't buy $200 Pirelli's!
smile.gif

Jim

Very good shots.A PD20 has a 1 1/2" coil and no phase plug.Its frequency response looks like a 1kz bandpass filter.No high end ,no low end.

Jim,

Fow whatever it's worth, before I had my Belle Klipsch I had a set of Altec "Malibu" speakers which used the 800 Hz crossover sectoered horns. I think it might have been the 811, but I an not sure. Anyhow, they had the 500 Hz driver on them (511?). It was a fine speaker, but I think the Belles sound better. It was a two-way system. The bass was two 12 inch drivers in a bass-reflex cabbinet.

Al K.