Preamp Processor recommendations? Help please

jtubbs6117

Guys I really want to make the change to using a preamp processor, if you are doing this please give me your opinion. I am leaning toward B&K I don't think i can afford a Mac pre even used. I was using Sony es unit for the preamp out on it and I liked the sound. Being that I am running a par of RF7's in the front I love good low end bass and the 7's do great job. I am just looking for a opinions I don't want to purchase a prepro and then have to buy an eq to get the sound I want. Thank guys for all the help and please email any questions or if think you can help and i didn't give enough info please email me.

There are a few forum members that use B&K so I assume it's a good match with Klipsch. Classe SSP-30 mkii are selling very reasonably on Audiogon right now and have a very rich sound with full, tight bass. I've also used a Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 with excellent results on a Klipsch system. Note: all of these lack HDMI switching and the latest codecs for BluRay, although all have 5.1 analog inputs to use with a suitable BluRay player. The Classe sells for about $500-600, the H/K about $200... great values. I've had a Rotel processor and didn't care for the sound or its complicated remote and interface. Check out NAD too. If you're looking for a new processor with the latest features like HDMI and room correction, look into Onkyo and Integra processors or use a receiver with preouts from Yamaha or Denon. Just my .02

B&K is a great match with Klipsch.

The problem with buying any pre/pro these days, however, is with the constantly changing/unstable HDMI crap. For example see: http://hometheaterreview.com/what-if-hdmi-actually-worked/. I love my B&K Reference 50, but it dosen't have any HDMI capability.

The standards seem to be in a constant state of flux, so if you want something you can hang on to & enjoy going forward - I'd say wait until things shake out. Just my .02.

James

I have a pair of B&K EX4420 power amps and THEY ROCK. running the surrounds and rears as out boards. I hav a SONY HT reciever as a pre pro running 7 channels of out board power and I think my Sony has HDMI issues- Not sure yet-cuts out for a split second at times. Cant speak to B&K Pre amps exceot to say that the name is killer and a super deal for 2nd hand E- bay prices. I would expect high quality in the preamp line as well.. Mac high end pre- pros sadly have HDMI issues as I understand it on some units. A buddy of mine bought the 8 grand model and promptly sold it. If my Sony is bad I will do a nuts and bolts search project to see whatr is the best for now. Problem is changing technology where todays flagship is tomorrows garbage.