Which Heritage for Rock Music Listening?

rockhound

Long time lurker....even longer Klipsch lover although I've never owned any heritage line products now is the time. I listen to all kinds of rock music from classic to modern to heavy. Which heritage speaker is best suited for this style of music? Also if you recommend a speaker please recommend a amp as well. All advice appreciated.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an open ended question that will get you a LOT of different answers... So, I'll give you my choices based on Klipsch speakers I've actually owned and listened to in my home (rock music only... Van Halen, Judas Priest, Disturbed, Pantera, etc.):

1) KLF-20... 1a) Chorus II... 2) Cornwall... 3) Forte II... 4) Forte...

I would have included my La Scalas, but their bass output or should I say lack of low bass output (below 80Hz) would prevent me from including them. If you have a very good subwoofer, then the La Scalas would probably go to the head of the list.

To power them, I've used everything from an old Carver 6250 receiver, a relatively current Denon receiver (AVR 4800), a McIntosh MC 7270 and more recently a Parasound HCA-1205A amplifier. I think these speakers in particular benefit from having good, high powered amps to drive them when listening to rock music... I'll leave the definition of what constitutes a "good amp" for others to banter about.

Long time lurker....even longer Klipsch lover although I've never owned any heritage line products now is the time. I listen to all kinds of rock music from classic to modern to heavy. Which heritage speaker is best suited for this style of music? Also if you recommend a speaker please recommend a amp as well. All advice appreciated.

Coyotee poses good questions. I think Cornwalls are a good speaker to start with...affordable, upgradable,sound good with all kinds of music

My favorite speaker for loud rock & roll has to be the Chorus II's, i love the way they slam but you need some good clean power to drive these with authority.

If you include a sub, La Scalas are hard to beat for clarity and presence.

Another good choice as long as you get a sub(s) to keep up and not mud up the sound.

+ 1 on cornwalls for starters

I've never agreed with the logic of using something for starters unless the person has some stated reason for that approach.

I'm not picking on Chris... primarily because he's a mean SOB and is about five feet taller than me..... ok... maybe I'm am kicking him in the shin and running like a coward...[A]

Chris... if you were looking to buy a hot sports car and I said you should buy a Mustang for starters, how does that correlate with the fact that you have a budget that will go a little higher and (evidently) have a desire for a car that many consider a higher performance car.

Unless someone says they have a size/monetary or some other specific constraint, I honestly think they could be done a disservice with 'starters'.

I think People should be educated as to what is out there and when doing so, you might as well start them at the top of the food chain and let them move themselves down the food chain (for what ever reasons fit them).

I suggest they will end up in a more fitted location for them rather than if they start at the lower end of the food chain and get caught in the upgrade cycle.

Buy once, buy right and be done!

Lots of good suggestions and I was thinking of the cornwall's the K-Horns are a bit out of my budget at the moment. So I guess the question is should I go ahead and pursue some cornies or save a little longer and just get the flagship speaker?

I've been given free reign on what I buy WAF does not play into this decision as this is going in my room 19x21 dimensions. WAF is why I have the YSP 1100 instead of some nice klipsch in the living room.

What you guys/gals think?

Cornwalls are great speakers but I still just dont see how they are such great rock speakers. They will rumble under extreme power. I actually got mine to flutter. Plus that midrange gets aweful shrill unless your the type that doesnt mind finger nails on a chalk board. But my experience is with 500 WPC SS. I guess its possible a nice tube amp could change the characteristics of the Cornwall. A high damping factor obviously isn't the proper way to run a Cornwall because they do start to rumble. I laugh when people talk about how their receivers make Cornwalls sound the best in the world. I'm willing to bet that Winchesters setup is about the best you can ever make a Cornwall sound and I still rather doubt it would be what I call a heavy metal setup.

Buy KLF 30's or Chorus II's and rock out.

Lascala's or RF 7's with mandatory sub.

I've heard KLF-30s are great rock speakers but I've never heard a pair. Cornwalls in a good setup sound great with about everything. Not as picky as Khorns or Lascalas. If you don't listen at ear bleeding levels, the Corns are tough to beat for a great all-around speaker. Khorns and Lacalas are much better at really high volumes.

You really need to find a couple different setups to audition! You know what they say about opinions and all of us here have one.

Good luck.

Chorus IIs do rock, and are easier to place than the LaScalas, considering their narrower cabinet. Older Corns do have an upper bass peak that can certainly muddy things up. The LaScalas are great for higher volume for sure, and being fully horn loaded are nice. Opinions around here are split pretty even on whether or not a sub is needed with the LS. If I didn't have my LS, the Chorus IIs would be my next favorite. Or a pair of each. [:(]

Bruce

Chorus IIs do rock, and are easier to place than the LaScalas, considering their narrower cabinet. Older Corns do have an upper bass peak that can certainly muddy things up. The LaScalas are great for higher volume for sure, and being fully horn loaded are nice. Opinions around here are split pretty even on whether or not a sub is needed with the LS. If I didn't have my LS, the Chorus IIs would be my next favorite. Or a pair of each. Sad

Bruce

I bet I would really enjoy a pair of LaScalas with a nice sub.