RCA Cables

CapZark

Looks like Radio Shack no longer carries the RCA cables i have been purchasing for years, (the gold ends with spring tensions attached), though i forget the stock # i will try something different if more are needed in the future i guess, they have served me well but its time to move on.

In my view, the RS stuff or PartsExpress stuff is more than enough.

And I've described the mechanical issue with Monster before. The collar is so tight that it can damage the component to which it is attached.

The high priced connectors do cause different high frequency response and low frequency response in two instances.

1) The seller's cash register makes a wonderfully full, ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching.

2) The buyer's wallet makes a distressingly empty, ka-thud, ka-thud, ka-thud.

Smile.

Wm McD

1...Quality of the cable (capacitance, impedance)

2...Quality of the assembly of the braid to the connector (must be fanned out perfectly)

3...Quality of the soldering

4...Quality of the connector (material, tolerances, design)

5...Quality of the jack that the connector is plugged into.

6...Impedance of the sending unit.

7...Impedance of the recieving unit.

8...Cable length

9...Ground loop anomolies

JJK

and 10... Must be able to fit my Scott amp! Those darn RCA connects are too close!

I just found that these new Dayton cables won't fit my Scott 299B. I even cut the rubber grip off (substituted some electrical tape) and they are still too big! Anything good you folks know will fit a Scott ??

I think this picture shows that there is simply not enough space between the RCA jacks on the amp to connect both cables. I guess I could listen to one channel at a time but that might ruin the fun! (wasn't thinking... don't mean to hijack!)

post-38437-13819556124052_thumb.jpg

post-38437-13819582227002_thumb.jpg

Nice detailed picture, never had that problem myself, maybe somebody with older equipment can chime in to recommend cables with smaller ends.

I found some of the cables Radio Shack used that i liked so much, they are made by RCA and are on buyout at Parts Express, i may get a few before they are gone.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=249-210

Dont buy em all on me now. [:o]

And I've described the mechanical issue with Monster before. The collar is so tight that it can damage the component to which it is attached.

McD

The monser collars are sooooo tight ...... How tight are they? At the time of the earthquake of '89 (the largest in my lifetime in the S.F. Bay Area) I had Monster interconnects, and all the cables went behind and around a wall attached shelf on their way up or down to the next component. It took me 24 hrs to get home from work, and when I did, I found my Luxman, Lexicon, Nakamitchi, Yamaha, and dBx hanging from the cables ... apparentlty unharmed.

• 3 weeks later...

That is just soooooo right. Do you think that the studios which record your marvelous masterpieces use Monster Cable? From the ones that I've been in it looks more like power cable. There is no difference in wires in the couple of feet that you are running. If you want to run cables 200 miles well maybe but 10-20 feet, get real. The same thing goes with the fabulous snake oil of bi-wiring. The logic seems to be that one run of cable is good, two must be better. That barely works on paper and in the real world Tektronix will be working on a new meter that could remotely support this.