Help !!! Too Many Remotes..!!!

mjjr1956

There is only one way to solve this right - Logitech Harmony remotes. There are other brands, but Logitech has got many things right with Harmony. if you are lucky - you can pickup a brand new one, with color LCD, from Costco for $90. Otherwise - look on the web for good deals.

There are a variety of good universal remotes and they range from pretty cheap to very expensive. Harmony is probably one of the most common brands people are using here, however I prefer URC myself and there are many others.

Here is a good site to learn more about remotes

http://www.remotecentral.com/

With a good remote not only can you eliminate the clutter of remotes but you can really have a much better experience operating your system. With a good remote you can do things which might take many complex button presses all with just one or two pushes of a button. For example say you want to watch TV, with a push of one button you can turn the TV ON and change it to the proper input, turn your receiver ON and change it to the proper input to watch TV and also set the listening mode, turn ON your cable/satellite box, etc and this only took one press of a button. The same for turning OFF your entire system turn OFF everything that is currently ON with just one press of a button.

The same goes for watching a DVD or Blu-ray, listening to a CD, etc., turn ON everything ON that needs to turn ON and adjust for what you want to do, something which could take 10 or more presses of a button can be done with only one or two.You can now really feel in control of your system and enjoy it much more. Also even a complicated system can now easily be controlled by anyone in the house.

Other options include things like no longer needing to point the remote at what you wish to operate, maybe having some components inside a closed cabinet or not in sight yet still be controlled by the remote. Also controlling lighting, heat, air conditioning, drapes or other options are also available.

You might be surprised at how much a good universal remote can do.

Ditto on the Logitech talk. I fought hard against getting onr for years, but the remotes just kept adding up. I finally broke down and bought an 880. Now I kick myself for not doing it sooner. Logitech's customer support is great also. You can get an 880 for $150.00 or so and it'll do everything you need. It even works my lights.

• Moderators

Although it is nice to remove the clutter of 4 remotes, it takes me more time to switch back and forth between the sources and menus to get to the options. It was definitely faster to grab the original remote. Guess that is one of the trade offs.

Although it is nice to remove the clutter of 4 remotes, it takes me more time to switch back and forth between the sources and menus to get to the options. It was definitely faster to grab the original remote. Guess that is one of the trade offs.

Youth if it is faster or easier to grab the original remote you definitely don't have your remote set up correctly. A well set up programmed remote will do pretty much anything faster and better than the original remote. I know you are new to having a good remote, I think you probably need to learn a little more about what is available in programing. The remote should do most of the work of changing sources with macros etc.and eliminate a lot of needed button pushes.

I push one button (let's say to watch TV) and all this happens, My display is turned ON and to the correct input source, my receiver is turned ON (amp & sub triggered) the receiver is tuned to the correct input source volume set to my usual listening level, sound mode etc., my sub is changed to my HT listening mode, my Sezmi/DVR box is turned ON, my remote is changed to my remotes Sezmi menu and now ready for me to select what channel I am going to watch, I have still only pushed one button on my remote once.

I can turn OFF my entire system no matter what is ON or OFF with one button push or whatever I want to do watch a Blu-ray, listen to a CD, my music server or whatever my system is up and ready with usually one or two button pushes of my remote, far faster, far simpler and much better than using any of the original remotes, everything the original remotes could do my one URC MX-850 can do much better.

I have a Harmony 670 I'm going to put up for sale with all the necessary thing s to go along with it (CD software, USB cord,etc...). I loved it, very easy to use, but since I got my Yamaha receiver and its HDMI switching I find it much easier to use the receiver remote along with my DTV remote than the Harmony one. So I'm going to sell it here soon on this site if you're interested. Feel free to PM me if you are maybe we can work something out before it even goes up for sale.

Mark

• Moderators

Thanks Rich, I'm sure I do have a lot to learn with the Harmony One. I will started a new thread so I don't hijack this thread. I would love to have your input and suggestions.

I do recommend the Harmony One, I just wanted to state what I saw as a limitation.

• Moderators

I'm new to universal remotes but some of your statements are incorrect....

The Logitech Harmony One...Can't define your own button shape.

Not that I'm aware of but why do I need a different shape for a button?

Can't
name your button.

Sure it can

Can't add color to your button.

Nope, it can't do that

Can't move the location of
your button.

Sure it can

Can't program a single button to turn on/off all related
components at once.

It does have the capability to turn everything off with one button, already preprogrammed.

• Moderators

The Logitech Harmony One doesn't even compare with the Philips Pronto 7000/7500 as far as customization is concern.

It probably does...but I would expect that from a remote that cost twice as much as the Harmony One.

And you'll probably need a magnifying glass to see the tiny screen.

Only if you are blind. [;)]

Got My Philips Prestigo off Amazon for $35 shipped.

It does up to 16 devices......

It can learn other remotes functions......

Maybe not as good as a $200 Harmony, but definitely good bang for buck.....

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/remote-control/prestigo-sru8015_10/prd/gb/

Reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-controls/philips-prestigo-sru8015/4852-7900_7-32609574.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

• Moderators

I know it is done correctly and didnt get frustrated trying to get everything to work properly.

I'm just the opposite. I would rather do everything myself instead of someone doing it for me in case something goes wrong, I know how to fix it. Same is true for running wires, installing cables. When someone else installs something, you are only guessing as to what they did (ex running wires behind drywall).

I am a fan of URC products. I am currently using the MX900. Only downside was I had to have a dealer program it, but I know it is done correctly and didnt get frustrated trying to get everything to work properly.

I also think URC makes the best remotes, you really do not need a professional installer to program them they are very easy to program for anyone who likes to do things themselves, in fact after owning many different universal remotes my URC professional model remotes were the easiest I had ever programmed and the first remotes I've owned that were capable of doing everything I wanted my remote to do.

I own two remotes the MX-800 and MX-850 with 2 RF base stations. The typical professional installer price for just one of these with base station plus the programming is often $700-$900+ for my system (that's for 1 remote). I didn't pay anywhere near that, I think for my 2 remotes I paid about $330-$350 total for everything (that's for 2 remotes). I shopped for great deals, I programmed everything myself and wouldn't even think of paying someone else to program my remote for me.

A lot of people are scared of using URC professional remotes because they hear that they must be professionally programmed, while it may be too much for a complete novice, for anyone who knows what the remotes are capable of doing (macros, discrete ON/OFF/inputs, workarounds, etc.) or willing to take a little time to learn and who can operate a simple computer software program, (I have many programs on my computer similar to URC's programming software) these remotes are really pretty simple to program. If you can set up your own computer you should be able to program your own remote.

The quality, customization and abilities of URC remotes are much better than Harmony, but Harmony is marketed at the hobbyist who wants to do things themselves. More hobbyists should try URC's professional remotes.

Ok let me clarify. I tried to get the dealer to release the software to me and he wouldnt budge. It was then that I decided I didnt want to hassle with it. When he was finished doing his programming with the remote and MRF-350, I went and uploaded the program and software to my computer. I can now go in and tweak my remote. I am usually a hands-on person and technical but I had no desire to fiddle with the programming. It was actually nice to sit back for a change and be catered to.