5CH Stereo vs. DTS mode

CheeseHead

I've watch about a dozen DVD's so far, all in 5 Channel mode, works/sounds great. I rent a movie that has the DTS option (Amercian Beauty), so I figure I'd give it a try. It's less compressed, so should sound better, right? What a difference. It seems that EVERYTHING wants to come out the center channel. Anyone know if this is normal?

Denon 3801

Klipsch Reference RF3, RC3, RS3, KSW12

Toshiba DVD2200

I have the audio out on the DVD player hooked up through the optical jack. I was playing with the Denon toggling back and forth between 5Channel and DTS modes using the remote. I can set the Denon to 'Auto' mode, but I'm not sure if it will automatically detect that I chose DTS instead of 5Channel. I'll check next time I rent a DTS movie.

i think ch is talking about dolby digital vs.

DTS. w/ movies that have both u have to choose DTS in the dvdp menu like languages.

for auto, most default to dolby.

DTS on my system makes it much easier to hear the dialog from center w/ less breakup. no overload there for me.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

My 3801 is set to Auto and that's where I leave it.

In the dvd menu,I switch it to dts and the Denon detects it.

DVD player is a Sony DVP-C650D,but I doubt that will make a difference.

All my levels have been set using AVIA and I've never noticed my center being louder or everything being directed to the center.In the surrounds is usually where the difference is in dts DVDs and the bass is a bit deeper

and/or louder.

thanks stone - I missed that too. then the answer is 5 channel stereo is for 2 channel material

enhancement w/ 5 speakers like music CDs. for 5.1 channel material(HT) use one of those modes, unless one likes downmixing 5.1 discrete channels to 2 channels. i sure don't.

american beauty probably has a lot of the mix in the center (a lot of dialogue - don't remember that movie having a lot of surround effects material).

movies are all mixed differently w/ different material - ch, try an action packed movie like U-571 or Gladiator in DTS w/ an HT mode on the denon. that should give u different results.

True, the topic is 5 Channel stereo vs. DTS...On the Denon 3801 it displays 5CH ST DVD when I'm playing a movie in 5.1 Dolby Digital. (The little Dobly Digital LED is also on in this mode.) I'll definitely have to get some more DTS movies. One of the features I was looking for in a DVD player was a DTS pass-thru so I could actually take advantage of DTS. But so far, I'd give Dolby Digital a 10, and DTS a 4...granted it's only been ONE movie, and I haven't tweaked the DTS parameters yet.

ch, i believe u have to change the mode yourself. basically if u put in an HT dvd u choose an HT mode, if u play a CD(analog 2 channel) choose 5 channel stereo.

i think the auto function automatically decodes at the highest level of the material.

it doesn't automatically change the dsp modes- u have to do that. or is this wrong?

CheeseHead,

I think I see what the problem is,you are in the wrong mode.Hit the "Dolby/DTS Surround button on the remote.You might have been listening to 5 channel stereo instead of Dolby digital.

The DD light will be on anyway.The readout should display"Dolby D"when watching a DD movie and DTS when it's in DTS.

What ever mod you were in last,it will remember and stay in that mod till you change it.

I listen to my music in Direct DVD mod and the Dolby Digital light will still come on with a DD movie till I switch it back to DD.

That would explain the problem with dts.

Check it out.Hope this helps.

Steve

Getting back to the original question, the reason that when you are running the Denon 3300 in DTS that most of the sound comes from the center is because that is what is supposed to happen. ~ 85% of the signal comes through the center in 5.1 channel (DD & DTS) the other speakers play at a lower level until they they are called upon when the signal level to those channels increases. You will notice that during periods of dialogue the sound will eminate more from the center, but when action picks up or music is played in the background output to these channels is increased and becomes louder. I sometimes enjoy watching a DVD in the 5-channel stereo mode (Analog) using my DBX gear and a time delay unit rather than in Dolby Digital 5.1 for the very reason that all the channels are more balanced or equal. Alot of DVD's are heavily compressed and have to be turned up considerably to get to the enjoyment level this is where my 3BX-DS Dynamic Range Controller with Impact Restoration comes into play, it will enhance playback to the point of stunning realism but unfortunately it only works in the Analog domain. I have tried a few DTS encoded discs and do find them superior sounding to the DD ones, it all depends on how well the DVD recording was mixed. Hope this satisfactorily sums up the original question.

------------------

If it's too loud, your too old :)

yea like we said. biggrin.gif but the original question ended "is this normal". as ch described it & if he was listening to DTS DVD in 5 channel stereo mode then the answer is: no.

there's a big difference between answering a question (w/ tech data, etc.) & solving a problem.

Damn, I need help figuring this out. When I'm in 5 channel stereo mode, it says 'digital' on the receiver, and I get 5 separate channels, not a bogus creation from 2 channels. Now, when I hit the Dolby/DTS surround button on the remote, it will only toggle between Dolby Pro Logic and Neo 6 modes. So I try this...I put in the Aliens DVD and put it in Pro Logic mode...it STAYS in Pro logic mode, until the THX screen comes on, then the receiver says Dolby D! But right after that, it goes back to Dolby Pro logic! Is this because the receiver is on 'Auto'?

OK, follow up to my follow up...I put in the Matrix DVD, and it stays in Dolby D mode on the receiver. I guess even the the Aliens DVD says 'Dolby Digital' on the DVD jacket, it's actually not? And that's why it goes back to Pro Logic? At any rate, definite difference between DD and 5-channel modes. I liked 5 channel mode because it 'disguised' my center channel more, right now it sits up too high on top of the entertainment center, I had no room right on top of the TV. In DD mode I can definitely tell the sound is coming from ABOVE the TV. Looks like it's time to build a custom entertainment center.

No,it's not the Denon unless it has a problem.

Does the DVD when it comes on give you a choice?

Does your DVD player setup menu give you any choices on the play back default?It might be in there.

About the center speaker,angle it down so the tweeter points as close as it can at your head while seated.

My bed room Ht center is almost 32"above head hieght and works fine pointed down,just put something under the back of it.

Glad to see the Denon is not at fault,these things can be a pain to set up and all of the manufacturers do it different.I'm very used to the way Denon is and have found that reading the darn manual over and over might get it.

I use the 3801 in installs and have done 3 and getting ready to do the 4th one today.I still look through the manual.

Good luck.

P.S.Look close at the Alien box,the DD can be decieving,does it actualy say 5.1 on it?

Ah, good call. The Aliens box and Matrix box both have the DD logos, but only the Matrix box says 5.1 next to it. So, another question. When watching Aliens, should I let it go to Pro Logic mode? Or should I switch it back to 5-channel stereo? Never used Pro Logic so I don't know what it's capable of. Thanks for all the help, u guys rock.