Long cable run

tromprof

I currently have a second pair of speakers (Forte II) hooker up in my family room. This requires about 30 feet of speaker cable to hook them up to my Yamaha CA-1010 in my studio where the main system is. I am planning on swapping out the Yamaha with a 20 watt tube amp. Would it be better to run the output signal from the studio and place the tube amp close to the speakers or to leaver things set up as they are now? The Fortes sound fine with the current set up but the Yamaha has a lot more power than the tube amp.

Thanks

With tube amps, due to the relatively high output impedance, you need to use short connections to the speakers or you will notice definite frequency response differences. Given the 30 foot run from the amps to your source components in the studio, be sure to use very heavily shielded cables to avoid hum and noise pickup.

Any suggestions on a good long cable? I measured the speaker cable today and it is more like 40 feet. Monoprice has a 50 foot one that is reasonably priced and I have been pleased with their stuff in the past.

Thanks for the advice so far.