Black piano finish

jason str

Anybody here have any experience with lacquer finishing ?

I have spent much of the day wet sanding the black lacquer finish on the Tuba project and managed to finish only one side, the finish looks great but it seems to be taking forever.

What has worked for me so far is 500 grit, it seems to have enough bite to get rid of the peaks and create a smooth surface. Going then up to 1500 grit seems to do nothing so i tried right from 500 grit to rubbing compound witch seems to be working ok.

If anybody has any experience that may make the job somewhat easier or better please speak up, your help will be an arm saver.

I gave up on the lacquer finish, it became too labor intensive,i guess it was better that i became a G.M. line technician than a body shop man.

Ended up with 4 coats of primer, 3 coats of lacquer, two more primer coats over the lacquer then 3 coats of satin black enamel to top it all off.

The project came out nice and is coming back in tomorrow after it has a chance to dry, i missed the low end notes anyway, thanks for the responses.

Pictures will be up on the for sale post as soon as i have a chance.

Wet sand it with #600 then fine polish it with a foam polisher . A foam polisher can be used edgewise if you have the "Maguire" type without burning through. It will be like glass with no orange peel. You can also spray aat least three clear coats over it to get added shine and depth. You can easily patch it as it is very forgiving if you make a boo-boo.

JJK

The orange peel quickly sanded out with the 500 grit, what i had issues with was the nail holes becoming visible after the polishing, no matter what i did they would come back, you could see where every nail was set.

All is well, the satin matches my black LaScala's better anyways.