KLF-20s or Forte II's

Gliderguy3

Just lost a long post, hopefully this doesn't duplicate the same questions:

I am a longtime Klipsch fan and year long or so lurker on these forums who is finally ready to start to build a system. I want to be able to do both 2 channel and eventually a home theater. I have the opportunity locally to pick up either a $500 set of Forte II's or a $350 set of KLF-20's I have seen both speakers highly praised on this forum. If money and WAF was no factor, I am sure I would be trying to get a set of 2 way Jubilees custom built but that is currently out of the question. I don't have an appropriate room and am still somewhat nomadic as my job seems to keep moving every few years.

Hit me with your opinion for either set at the above prices with the thought that these would also eventually form the mains for a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater system. I do not yet have an amp or preamp/signal processor, but like what I have read about the Emotiva equipment here. It is unlikely I will go to tubes anytime soon so if the KLF is too bright for decent solid state equipment like the RF-7 is reputed to be, that would be good to know.

I suppose Heresey III's would make good center/surrounds for the Forte II's but am not sure what of the Klipsch line might be a good match tonally for the KLF's and if it would be a long term scavenger hunt to find companions.

I have read about the aging capacitors on the crossovers, and have looked over Bob Crite's website, so kind of have a handle on the fact that some maintenance may be required on 15 year old speakers. Not sure if there is much avilability for parts/upgrades for the KLF's so would be glad to hear about anything related to that topic in case I come across a blown driver I at least know where to bargin from.

If I end up with an el-cheapo receiver for the very short term, which of the above presents the easiest load to drive? I would guess the Forte's since there is only one woofer involved. Any comments on preamp/signal processessors for 3-D TV would be appreciated. I know nothing about this topic that is not dated by 20 years or more, but I understand just about everything is going to HDMI. I don't know if the 3-D signal requires anthing special about the preamp or if all the magic occurs in the Blu-Ray player and TV. (and active glasses)

Well, that is only like 20 questions or so, so I guess my game is up. What say you all?

forte II's better be mint at 500 but the build quality is very good and the sound is way above its price. I paid 525 for some very mint forte II's a few years ago and well, I have 3 pair of this model. A center for the klf's would be the klf c7 I think and the center for the forte II is the academy both of which are not real common, but there are other alternatives if you have the space.

The forte II's are very easy to drive, and like any speaker really shine with quality amplification.

KLF 20s @350~.....

That is the better buy....

Around here, these go for $600-$900.....

Well these have been on Chicago craigslist for about 3 months.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/1665838917.html

I would say 350 is a good buy but at 600 you will be holding on to them for a long while. Hes even resorting to trades and asks what ya got?

As a certified Legend Head - I am partial to the KLF's and in particular the 20's. Mine started life in a dedicated 2 channel and have been pressed into service as the mains in a 7ch stereo/HT. At $350.00 US, that is a very very good price.

With some KLF's (mine included) the back panel may separate and present vibration noise at higher volumes. A little Gorilla Glue however takes care of this is short order. Very minor fix.

FWIW - many KLF owners find the 20's to be particularly enjoyable. Great rock and roll speakers (fond of J Giles, Cream and Doors), fine with country, and Jazz like 3rd Force just talks to you - sax and piano sparkle. Vocals like those of Clannad are clear, crisp, and clean.

eta: Movies tracts like the Dark Knight will stir your soul. Great speakers.

First, that's a great price on the KLF-20s. I recently saw a pair go for $850 where I Ilive. Second. I'm another Legend lover. I have both Forte II's and KLF-20's and I have spent time comparing them on lots of music and in different rooms. The KLF-20s always win.