kg 5.2 vs. Chorus II better purchase value?

Will_W

I am losing my front speakers which are currently kg4's - so I am looking replace and/or upgrade. Locally, there are two sales that are piquing my interest and I am curious as to your expert opinions on how I would be better served spending my money. There are a set of 4 kg 5.2's and a kg 4.2 (as center) available for $400 or there is a pair of chorus II with a kv-3 available for $825 (Chorus II's are $650). What do you think? And if I go with the KG's does keeping the kg 4.2 as a center make sense or should I get a true center and and another 4.2 and go to 7.1?

Thanks for any advice!

I can't speak about the KG line but I sure do like my Chorus II's. They do need a fair amount of power to bring out the bottom end. I was not happy when I pushed them with a Marantz avr rated at 125 wpc but when I upgraded to a Emotiva at 200wpc(250 wpc in 2 channel mode) it made a significant difference from the bottom to the top. I believe the speced center channel would be the Academy. $650 is certainly not a steal. Others should give a better price point, I tripped on mine for $325 and they are in great condition.

I have Quartets and H2s in my HT and have had Fortes in there also these speakers are slightly smaller kin to the Chorus but sound very much the same. I bought my Son KG 5.5s with a KV3 center for his room in the Navy. I can say for sure that I would be VERY happy to have the KG line in a HT setup.

The KG series are an awesome speaker to themselves. They do have a little different sound than the Chorus but not worse, just a little different. For my $ the KG deal would be the best bang for your money and I would leave the 4.2 as a center as it blends very well, perhaps better than a KV would. Seamless sound is ideal for the front 3 and I think that this setup would be very good indeed. All you would need to do to go with a 7.1 would to pickup a pair of bookshelf speakers for the back two. There is not a lot of content that comes out of these and the perfect match is not a big deal with sides and even less with rears.

The KG set is a lot of speaker for the money. $825 is a bit high for Chorus IIs even with them being rarer than Forte IIs on the used market. If the Chorus' were $500-600 then I'd give them the nod. I'd go with the KGs if I were you.

Another vote for the KGs. For that price you are getting a whole HT set up that will sound great together. If the 4.2 is too big then find a 2.2V or a pair of 2.2s and just use one of them.

I had 5.2s in front with 3.2s in the rear with a KV-2. The KV-2 was the weak link there. If I had had a 2.2V I dare say I might have stayed with the KG HT set up a lot longer. In my search to replace the KV-2 I found an Academy which started my move over to Forte IIs.

I think the Chrous IIs you're looking at are priced a little high IMHO.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Unfortunately, I had to travel and the kg package sold. I am going to give the Chorus' a listen and see what kind of shape they are in and see if I can't talk him down a little. I've found a pair of kg 5.5's as a back-up plan... Of course, now I need to find a center...

hey Will, you must be in CT? i am the lucky bastard that took the (4) kg5.2 and kg4.2 package for $350. [:P]

they were for my brother in law, and he was absolutely amazed. i haven't got a chance to swing by his house to demo yet, but i am looking forward to it.

650 for a pair of Chorus II's is a descent deal if they are nice. Excellent condition should yield 750. These people and their price assumptions crack me up. Some haven't even heard a pair but "wait I heard Leroy got his for a couple hundred bucks so heck you sure wouldn't want to give over 400 for a pair". Kg line doesn't deserve to even smell where a Chorus II sat. Wake up people.

So you're the one! Nice get! I had to "settle" for a pristine pair of Chorus II's - these things are immaculate and sound beautiful! You should have seen everything this guy had big, beautiful Kuro, all kinds of toys - he played his k-horn's for me, too (WOW)! Now I just need to find a center...

So you're the one! Nice get! I had to "settle" for a pristine pair of Chorus II's - these things are immaculate and sound beautiful! You should have seen everything this guy had big, beautiful Kuro, all kinds of toys - he played his k-horn's for me, too (WOW)! Now I just need to find a center...

I might have an Academy for sale soon. Oak oil and in good shape. Not sure yet but will probably decide tonight or tomorrow which direction I'm going with my set up. PM me if you're interested.