BASS ARE BITE'IN, The Spawn in On.

Gilbert

Just got back from a nice 3 day trip to Amistad lake, near Del Rio, Tx. Bass are really starting to go crazy down here, found some hidden dense hydrilla coves on the mexican side, and slaughtered them. Dang camera battery was dead, but I'll cure that on the next trip, second weekend in April. Nothing huge, but lots of quality fish in the 2 to 5 pound range, some real fighters too. Their hitting mostly from 15 ft all the way to the shallows, but some whoppers are still hiding or holding out down at around 20 to 30ft.

I've been re-spooling, sharpening hooks, tearing my reals down and scrubbing them out. New lube and inspection. I even changed out the drag washers on my old Ambassadeur 4500cbs and ran a q-tip through my guides. I got a feeling abouth this spring's fishing.

Harry

post-24628-13819556111828_thumb.jpg

post-24628-13819582217628_thumb.jpg

Nice fish Harry, sure looks like a small mouth, if it is, then that's make her all the more sweeter. Here's an old picture i've posted before, it's from back on my brother-in-laws ranch near Aguilares, Tx. (about 40 min. east, southeast of Laredo).

I'm relatively new to lake fishing. About 1 year ago I got my first real bass boat (still have the beat-up ole 17ft flat bottom Lowe), before then the only Bass fishing I knew was stock tanks fishing. Lakes are a whole new animal.... same, but different. Fish fight significantly better, but seem much more finiky about taking the lure.

post-12381-13819556113628_thumb.jpg

post-12381-13819582219248_thumb.jpg

11# 4oz Indiana largemouth. Nailed a 13+ in Seminole a few years back.

Here's some smallies from Dale Hollow a few years back. Both over 5 lbs. That day my friend and I had 14 smallmouth over 5 lbs, 2 over 7 lbs (neither by me dangit), and another couple dozen up to 4lbs. Freezing rain, sub zero temps, and 50-75 feet of water.

I fish.

Harry

post-24628-13819556116638_thumb.jpg

post-24628-13819582222068_thumb.jpg

Nice fish Harry, sure looks like a small mouth, if it is, then that's make her all the more sweeter. Here's an old picture i've posted before, it's from back on my brother-in-laws ranch near Aguilares, Tx. (about 40 min. east, southeast of Laredo).

I'm relatively new to lake fishing. About 1 year ago I got my first real bass boat (still have the beat-up ole 17ft flat bottom Lowe), before then the only Bass fishing I knew was stock tanks fishing. Lakes are a whole new animal.... same, but different. Fish fight significantly better, but seem much more finiky about taking the lure.

Gilbert, what is the creel limit down there? I am an avid Bass Fisherman and have been for years and taking fish of during the spawn has always been a NO/NO. Catching bass during the spawn has always been a touchy topic ( some say absolutely NO other say its fine ) but that was in light of letting them loose immediately so they could return to the nest to guard it. Here in PA the law does not allow the taking of bass during the whole spawning period.

Not trying to rain on your parade. I also enjoy harvesting Crappie and the occasional Bass but being new to the sport thought I might bring it to your attention.

I've been re-spooling, sharpening hooks, tearing my reals down and scrubbing them out. New lube and inspection. I even changed out the drag washers on my old Ambassadeur 4500cbs and ran a q-tip through my guides. I got a feeling abouth this spring's fishing.

Harry

Where I come from we call a fish that size:

bait

Harry

bait

Do you hook your bait fish thru the nose or behind the dorsal fin thebes? I'd like to see a picture of some of your fish, but I only have a 42" monitor.

If those Ambassadeur reels are very old they have a lifetime warranty. A service center would probably service them for free.

Harry

bait

Do you hook your bait fish thru the nose or behind the dorsal fin thebes? I'd like to see a picture of some of your fish, but I only have a 42" monitor.

If those Ambassadeur reels are very old they have a lifetime warranty. A service center would probably service them for free.

I do my own reels, build my own rods, and build most of my own lures except for plastics. It seems to make it more personal between me and the fish.

I stocked up on old Fenwick HMG blanks in the late '80s to build my own rods with Fuji guides and Fuji graphite reel seats. Lebanese cork for my handles. I underwrap all of my guides, file my guides to fit the blanks snugly, and file the upper part of the feet to let the upper wraps walk up the guide feet in a uniform manner. Nothing fancy on my wraps to speak of.

Bait eh? I've done some fishin' in them big deep ponds too. I lived on Catalina Island for a while and me and the big blue marlins done some dancin' a time or two.

Harry

I use mostly clear blue stren

Just got in from a day on the Big G. yeah that's Lake Guntersville. Great day for fishing with full sun. Water temp a nice 60 deg. F. and just a slight breeze. We caught some smaller bass and I did manage to catch a 3lb catfish on a Rattlin Roe (crankbait) of all things. Main thing was that the boat ran good and there is nothing to "fix" once back home. Hmmm, when can I go BACK!

You're probably catching that chum cause you're wearing camo.

The big fish hate camo. They do, however, love pink . I've had my best success wearing a pink body stocking with matching tutu. Sure the guys start laughing when you pull up to the dock. That is until you reach in the boat, hook up your catch to a tow truck lift, and haul it on shore.

Great pics Harry-I had a bass boat of some sort over a 25 year period and fished tournaments all the time. FInally got tired of the politics of bass torunaments and sold my boat.Now i get a guide every so often if I want to go. Just joined a club with 2 huge lakes where the fish have automatic timed feeders. Hopefully some pics to add if the muddy water ever clears up.

My oldest son - also on the forum- idratherhunt-has never been to fla- he gets an invite from a college buddy to fish with a guide on the Fla west coast. The little sh-t catches the largest snook caught in 25 years in that area of Fla.Ends up on the cover of Fla Sportsman magazine. I hate him.I have never seen anybody so lucky as he is at fishing.

Dang Marty,

I'll have to stick to bait fish then. Pink is NOT my color at all.

Where I come from...If'n it's got a "NO HUNTING" "NO FISHING" "NO TRESPASSING" sign it should read

"WELCOME HARRY"

I found the biggest pot field ever like that once. I got some polaroids with 16' tall plants but I can't post them 'cause that's against the rules of "LYING" about your fishing. NO pics allows you to tell the "TRUTH" about how big the fish really was.

I smoked some of that stuff and I had to quit fishing for a while as me and the fishes gots to be best friends. Some of the conversations 'tween us got reel educational and my fishing bloomed. I learned fish behavior first hand that night.

Yes sir, it's fishing time. Nothing like it.

Where can a fella find pink camo? I'll do about anything for a big fish.

Lying? Why my lips are moving. I couldn't possibly be lying.

Sorry I know of no source for pink camo, (I'll check with the French and Italians fashionatas) but I'm sure I can trick you out in with something in a petticoat.

As my reward you can chop down a few of those 16 foot plants, load them on top of your car and drive them cross-country to me. Hey, what could possibly go wrong?

Lying? Why my lips are moving. I couldn't possibly be lying.

Sorry I know of no source for pink camo, (I'll check with the French and Italians fashionatas) but I'm sure I can trick you out in with something in a petticoat.

As my reward you can chop down a few of those 16 foot plants, load them on top of your car and drive them cross-country to me. Hey, what could possibly go wrong?

I see numerous flaws in your plans. First, the French and Italians are not known to involve themselves in a fight so the camo would probably be decoration and not real functional camo. I'd have issues with wearing "knock offs"

Second: IF and that's a big IF....I'd probably have to smoke some of the stuff to make sure it's in proper working order before making such a long road trip. And from past experience I'd just about bet that I'd forget where I was headed and end up lost as usual. I know I'd miss all my exit ramps and the trip would be extended to the point I'd have to turn around and head back to Indy. Of course I'd miss the ramps on the return trip too!

Third: IF (big IF again) I did test smoke some (only for test purposes only) I'd have to have some iced down long neckers. Drinking and driving is against the law and I try to be a law abiding citizen whenever possible.

Fourth: I checked with USPS and the length of the plants are too long to ship.

Any reasonable suggestions for shipping or alternative transportation would be considered.

IF the fishing is as good as you say though, I might have to reconsider and attempt the initial suggested road trip.

I'll back 'ol thebes up, cause I've seen a picture that he sent me. I thought he was kidding when he said he would ship the fish pic motor freight, but the picture weighed 154 pounds.

Keith

Now see there Harry, you just haven't discovered the other use for a fishing poll. You see, you tie a glazed donut on end of that pole, and suspend it in front of the driver's side front window. Start heading east and just keep your eyes on that donut. When it is suddenly grabbed by me, well you're there!

Listen to TK, we grow'em large in the east. Why I remember the time Herman Melville came for a visit and I took him fishing. He hasn't been the same since. Keeps calling me Ishmael, instead of my proper fishing name which is:

The Lunker King.