White Van dudes get busted! (sorta)

Coytee

They got a buddy's wife last year.They were stupid enough to come back to the same place to sell again. several guys from the condo project got wind of it and went down to have a "talk " with them. They ran a red light to get away and almost caused a wreck. The police caught a similar group- or maybe the same a few miles down the road and found outstanding warants for burgulary and check fraud. They went to jail. I do not think they were able to charge them with anything for the speakers. No law against taking advantage of dumb people who don't know any better.

Coytee,

Thanks for the link. I think it's great for these scammers to be exposed on TV.

Buying a system from these creeps ranks up there with helping the widow of a Nigerian cabinet minister get her fortune out of the country.

I suppose it is especially heart breaking for those who love audio to see folks get scammed with cheap junk.

Last summer at Home Depot two guy pulled up in a Ford Explorer and said, "we got a extra high end ht speaker setup from work, wanna take a look." Without turning around I said nope, they just drove down the next isle and stopped some other guy and he was taking a look, I just drove off.

James

Keep in mind, many of those scammed, also believed they were taking part in criminal activity.

And I have witnessed first hand, that many who are scammed, become scammers themselves trying to sell and recoup their money.

I have seen a couple of honest online ads, but not many.

There is a lesson to be learned here and it has nothing to do with knowing what makes a quality audio product.

A friend of mine knocked on my door one day and asked if he could bring his "new" speakers in. I said sure! He proceeds to carry in these large boxes that say something like "Audiofile Speakers" on them. I said "oh my" what do you have here?

He started to tell me about this great deal he just got, in the parking lot of his credit union. I told him, that is where the "BEST" speakers are usually sold. I asked him how much, he proceeded to tell me how great they are. When he pulled one out of the box, it seemed to have thin bungie cords running the front length of the speaker, instead of grills. He started to "parrot" the seller, these are for better "dispersion"....blah, blah, blah. I asked how much? He then told me about the "Piano Black" top and bottom pieces and how that helps with "reflections". Again, I asked "HOW MUCH". He then went on to tell me about the 20 way binding posts. I said 20 way? He said they could take 20 gauge wire, without a problem, in a proud voice.

We hooked up my speaker wires and turned the system on and.......................................Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, was all we heard. I was now rolling on the floor laughing! My buddy was not! His "gleefulness" was suddenly disappearing and he said.........I just paid $1000 for these, they better work! WHAT! $1000?

He drives a "Maxed out Suburban", chrome rims, black windows, custom paint, bug deflector, running boards, "DUBs" Sign in the rear side window, "SEA RAY" sign on the back window, fender flairs, etc. I think they saw him coming.

To make a long story even longer, one day I drove by his place and they were on the front lawn with a FOR SALE sign on them. Guess what he was asking? $100.00. LOL I almost offered $50, but he would have probably hit me! LOL

We all know what PT Barnum said and my buddy is a perfect example. I told him if he wants to buy speakers AGAIN, I would go with him. He now has a 5.1 Def Tech System that cost him a little over $3000. He went speaker shopping on his own again, but this time he didn't go to the credit union parking lot. LOL

Dennie

Keep in mind, many of those scammed, also believed they were taking part in criminal activity.

That's right, and it works out well for the scammers, since they never have any warranty claims that way. I've seen reports, possibly on this forum, from people who opened up these speakers and found not just really cheap crossovers and drivers, but unsafe, fire hazard type, wiring.

Reminds me of a long time back what happened at an auto store I was working. I was working in the back machine shop and two of the front counter salesmen come back to show me the great car stereos they just bought from some guy at the front counter.

They both had boxes for a car stereo in their hands and were both happy about the great deal they just got. So the first guy opens up his box and the only thing inside is a well packed brick. I'm rolling on the floor laughing and the guy with his brick is stunned and becoming disappointed and angry.

The other guy is now saying well I know my box has a stereo in it because look my box is still sealed in the plastic wrap. I say let me take a look at your box and when he hands it to me to look at I show him it was carefully cut at a corner seam and resealed with clear tape in a way so it wouldn't look as if it had ever been opened. So he opens his box and sure enough another brick.

The guy that sold them the stereos showed them a nice stereo that was not in a box and then when they bought one they received what looked as if it was the same thing brand new in the box. That guy must of flew out the door once they paid him so as to be gone before they opened up their boxes.

When you buy from the white van or other thieves you're only going to get burned and if you think your buying something stolen maybe you deserve getting burned.

I'm driving to the office after lunch and the guy in the vehicle next to me starts waving to get my attention. I don't have power windows and with my shoulder injured, it really hurts to lean over and roll down the window. Since we're in a gang filled area, I figure the guy is lost and needs some directions; and sometimes it's better not to leave your vehicle to ask. So, i bear the pain and roll down the window. The guy says, "hey, do you want a home theatre system for your house--I got two of them in the back, i got them from my work?" I'm thinking, you got to be kidding me. I wish i would have acted interested and had him pull over into a parking lot and then I would have kept driving. I guess hitting people up in parking lots isn't good enough anymore.

Awesome. I see a lot of white van brand speakers for sale on craiglist around here. I would love to have a run-in with those guys one day just to hear their pitch.

i highlighted a very obvious craigslist ad for white van specials and... MY posting was deleted....[sigh]

the story of the brick, damb, that's funny, well to me anyway. i knew a guy in my old apts that did buy a set. he never did open it up, he just asked me what i thought. at the time i didn't know of the white van sales people. i took a look at the pic and said sure it was a good deal. he only paid $50 or maybe $100. turns out he still got scammed, but not for $1000. these sales people were slick, they had a price tag on it saying it was $4800. i told him with out listening to them there was no way to tell, but "Good Luck!"

just think, those guys are only in business because we are stupid. (well maybe naive is a better word. if you don't know, you don't know. if you are being dishonest, then you deserve it - IMHO-)