Forte Crites Upgrade

Southern

I installed my Crites titianum diaphragms in my Forte's. I immediately noticed that the guitars are more articulate and clearer sounding. I am very pleased with the Crites tweeter diaphragms.

Saturday SWL is bringing over his Crites midrange diaphragms for me to try out as well. Then we will have a RF-7 (with DeanG crossovers) shoot-out with the Forte's (with Crites diaphragms). This will be the first time I will have both sets of speakers in the same room to compare. I will be powering both with my 2 channel setup (Dynaco pre-amp with the Pioneer driving the woofers and Dynaco driving the mids/tweeters).

If you have not upgraded the Forte crossover caps with Bob Crites' crossover repair kits, that should be next on your list. You'll be very pleased with the results.

The first upgrade I did was replace the stock caps with Solon's. I replaced these myself and at the same time divided up the crossover network to allow my Forte's to be bi-amped. I noticed the most improvment in the midrange, with the original caps the midrange appeared to be 1 foot in front of the highs and lows, after the re-cap the midrange appeared to be in the same plane as the highs & lows.

After listening to the Crites tweeter upgrades more, the impression I have is that I have traded in my Forte's for an improved model.

After comparing the Forte's to the RF-7's, the Forte's were the favorite. The RF-7's has a tighter low end and a silky smooth high end but the midrange appeared muted, especially with vocals. This was the impression after listening to the RF-7's immediately after the Forte's. After listening to the RF-7's for an extended period, they held their own with their "unique" sound.

I didn't have a chance to install the Crites midrange drivers since we were busy doing comparisions with different speakers and gear.

Thanks to Jim who brought over his Eastern Electric tube pre-amp, I verified that the hum I have is due to my almost original PAS 2 pre-amp. Thanks to Mike for bringing over his modded Dynaco MkIII monoblocks, they had made the mids sound less distorted on my Fortes. Thanks to Scott for bringing over the Crites midrange drivers, I will try them out when I bring my system back down to the basement (wife thing) and thanks to the other Scott for bringing over his Emotiva CD player.

Ray's combination of equipment with his Forte's sounds excellent. The best Forte's I've heard to date except for SET 12's......which are in a league all of their own. The RF-7's can certainly hang with the Forte's......just a different flavor. Mainly due to the lack of midrange in comparison. When they come out with an RF-7 in a three-way design with dual 15's.......I'll be the first in line. [;)]

I'm curious to hear your impressions of the midrange diaphrams.

Thanks for a great time on Saturday. Ray is a great host. He fed us smoked ribs that were dynamite along with appetizers, etc. [Y]

I'm curious to hear your impressions of the midrange diaphrams.

Scott, the Crites mid drivers are keepers. It tamed down the vocals in the midrange to match the Crites tweeter very well. I can turn it up louder without the midrange vocal distortion I was getting with the original mid drivers. They make my RF-7's midrange sound more horn like. The vocals were running too hot compared to the Crites midrange drivers. Now I need to work on my pre-amp to get rid of the hum.

I'm curious on how your KLF 30's sound Scott.

The RF-7s have good midrange performance. The plots show a fairly smooth and flat response. The Forte doesn't have "more midrange", what you heard is simply the difference in sound between a cone and a horn. In my experience, preference is largely determined by source material.

The Forte doesn't have "more midrange", what you heard is simply the difference in sound between a cone and a horn. In my experience, preference is largely determined by source material.

Could you elaborate Dean, The Forte's have a horn midrange and tweeter.

The comparison was done with the Fortes's first followed by the RF-7's, listening to the RF-7's separately tend to grow on you.

Scott, my next objective is to work on my pre-amp. I would like to remove the volume control along with the bass & treble controls since I am using them on the Pioneer. I'll wait for you to pour sand in your walls first to see if I wan't to do the same.

The Forte doesn't have "more midrange", what you heard is simply the difference in sound between a cone and a horn. In my experience, preference is largely determined by source material.

Could you elaborate Dean, The Forte's have a horn midrange and tweeter.

The comparison was done with the Fortes's first followed by the RF-7's, listening to the RF-7's separately tend to grow on you.

Scott, my next objective is to work on my pre-amp. I would like to remove the volume control along with the bass & treble controls since I am using them on the Pioneer. I'll wait for you to pour sand in your walls first to see if I wan't to do the same.

What Dean was likely referring to was the fact that the RF-7s do not cross over to the horn until you hit 2200 hz. Therefore, a good portion of what is traditionally known as the "midrange" is covered by the shiny cones.

Carl.

• 3 months later...

Well read this post and a couple of others and got the BUG and ordered new crossovers and titanium diaphragms for the tweeters and will order the Crites midrange diaphragms in August.

That will be the last upgrade I ever make on the Fortes[;)] , really the last. I guess it would also help not to read any more post about upgrades.

That will be the last upgrade I ever make on the FortesWink , really the last. I guess it would also help not to read any more post about upgrades.

That's what I told myself, I ended up installing spikes on my Forte's, inexpensive improvment that was worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

The new crossovers have been in allmost two weeks now. I am not sure if the midrange is overpowering the tweeter or the tweeter is not running as hot as with the old crossovers but the higs are not as good as with the old crossover.

I am going to install the titanium diapghrams Thursday and see if that helps the tweeters come alive and hopefully balance everything out.