Question on setup of ht

Shiplemw1

I know these speakers are klipsch but you have to start somewhere, please don't laugh... About two years ago my parents bought me a jvc system which had the following:

a dd receiver (100x5 and 110x2),

5 sattelite speakers (8 ohm)

a 100 or 150 watt 10" sealed jvc subwoofer

Now I have added a jvc 1028vbk which has all hte bells and whistles, a pretty decent amp (100x5 but has five seperate amps and pre-outs), and I got it at a great price so..

Anyway, I also have a set of infinity ref71mkII 3 way speakers (1"titanium tweeter, 3" midrange(I think) and 10" woofer),

Would it be best to drive all 5 of the small sats with the 1028vbk and the digital input off of a dvd player and then use the preamps out to my other receiver for the infinity's

or.

hook up the infinity's and 3 sattelites and then run two other sats through the other receiver?

Sorry this is a non klipsch question, if I could I'd get rid of the sats and buy a quintet system and a ksw12 but... college expenses do come first, thanks for the non-klipsch related advice...

One last question:

I had the chance to experience the pro-media v.2-400's which are mini-quintets and thoroughly enjoyed them, seem like the horn in them could be heard for a mile at 3/4 volume so I can't wait to get some real speakers, any reason why the horn projects so much better than the regular tweeter?

Thanks mike

As to which speaker set-up to use, I don't think there is a best way. Just try it different ways and go with what sounds best to you. But being as how you asked, I would bet that if most use is with video, you would get more satisfactory results having three identical speakers across the front. And for music, with the speakers you mentioned, I would think best results would be obtained using the Infinitys w/o center channel, and using a pair or the sats for surround. Let me modify that last sentence a bit; if your music preference is "typical", meaning mostly popular music (rap, new country, dance, etc.), then just the Infinitys by themselves even, might be best.

Horns "project" better for the same reason a spotlight projects better than a floodlight. They focus the sound into a relatively smaller area than domes, meaning you hear more signal, less room.

------------------

JDMcCall

Think of a horn kinda like cupping your hands around your mouth as you shout at a football game. Instead of letting sound disperse in all directions, you localize the sound to whom your shouting at. Same principle as a horn.