Decently price surge protector

SuBXeRo

Imn sure this has come up before but i am looking for a decently priced surged protector. Ideally it would be a shelf mount system not one thats on the floor. I have looked at panamax and furman and i would lovet to hjave one of those but ^200 is not my ballgame right now. I am looking to spend around 100 for my main system and 50 for my bedroom system. The bedroom one can be a floor one i suppose,

Well, the Isoblok above is rated for 600j. I live in a very high lightning strike area and have never had one fail, nor has anything plugged into one failed either. You can buy spike suppressors that go up into the thousands of joules; whether you need that much protection is hard to say. But, for a few dollars more you can get a similar plug-in unit which is rated for around 1400j:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=74&EID=345&txtModelID=3980

You also need to consider the clamping voltage, or the voltage at which suppression becomes effective. Some units out there clamp at over 300 volts whereas these clamp at 140 volts. You want the clamping voltage to be as low as possible.