Holographic mono?

pmsummer

Posted Image

I've been playing a lot more mono LP recordings the last couple of years (mainly West Coast and Be-Bop jazz).

I replaced my Cornwalls with Klipschorns last summer. I've been playing a lot more mono since then, because they sound so good, almost 3-D (I don't switch my receiver to mono, but keep it on stereo). The music doesn't sound "single source", but very much three dimensional.

Anyone else notice this, holographic mono, or am I just entering pre-senile dementia (maybe that's another question)?

Playing a monophonic source and using two separate speakers already set up to image 2 channel sources successfully should be expected to provide a nicely imaged presentation. It will be more coherent and consistently stable than 2 separate channels playing 2 different channels (stereo) which are then supposed to blend before they hit your ears. Personally that's why I feel a well recorded monophonic source comes across as powerfully as it does when played back over two properly placed speakers as opposed to one, which theoretically is all you would need to hear the entire recording.

On many occasions, when I had my "Belles" in my large listening room, I noticed this same effect. Many times I would play a mono album, without realizing it was mono and being astonished with the sound quality. Only then to be surprised to see that it was not a stereo album.

Now that I have the "Belles" set up in my study, with a Fisher 500C, I am considering hooking up a center speaker to see what the effect is. I see no pre-senile dementia here, yet!!

I'm curious whether part of the perceived improvement has to do with being able to better preserve the frequency response and dynamic range of the master when transfering to vinyl in mono, as left/right separation isn't necessary. In other words, there might be a positive trade off for mono vs stereo in these areas, particularly dynamic range. Thoughts?

Whilst I listen to a lot of mono, mainly 78's, and certainly prefer mono piano recordings to the generally awful miking techniques visited by most engineers on that longsuffering instrument, I cannot say I hear anything like "holographic." My system places them dead center and I've often had to get people to put their ears directly in front of the center Cornwall driver to prove it wasn't being driven (when using my 2 channel ST-70 as the amp).

OTOH, the room is quite filled and one can truly hear the individual instruments and imagine a spread...but I credit that to the Klipsch speakers being fed by a pure playback chain.

Whatever you hear, if it sounds good, it IS good...

Dave