Go from Forte II up to Chorus II?

BILL MORSE

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Chorus II speakers (asking $700). I have been in love with my Forte IIs since 1990. Just wondering if I should move up; would love to hear from other Klipsch devotees?

Also, I saw a subject line that said "I heard the Adcom pre-amp is weak link..." I power my Forte IIs with Adcom. Can someone tell me how to get to that forum OR can someone answer that concern?

I am SO glad I found this site!!

Thanks in advance,

Bill Morse

Bath, Maine

lmorse@gwi.net

Don't know about the Fortes, but I have Chorus IIs and they rock. I prefer them over Cornwalls because they are more slender and tall verses just plain big and they sound about the same. It seems to me the Forte is just a smaller version on the Chorus so I'm not sure you are going to experience a big change in sound? Probably just more bass, but I'm just speculating.

Bill....Basically what you will get if you decide to go that route is louder speakers. I suspect the chorus speakers are tuned for sounding better at louder volumes. But you will lose the nice sound at lower volumes as you get with the Fortes. For my 12x12 living room the Fortes were much better than my chorus II's were..

If you have a nice big living room with vaulted ceilings and can space them out about 12' apart...The Chorus II's will be a great choice

I have both in my living room now and have switched back and fourth between the two with an avr and now a higher power amp. Both sets are stock. with the avr my preference was the forte IIs but with the new amp I prefer the Chorus IIs. The avr was rated at 125 wpc and the amp is stated to put out 250 in 2 ch. Where the volume levels are pretty much the same between the amps the sound is not. I would say the Chorus IIs have more presence and just seem to deliver the music smoother. I did prefer the F IIs with the avr, I would believe that it was due purely to it being fuller on the bottom end. With the new amp that is not the case. As far as pure loudness, specs would tell you that the C IIs could out db the F IIs, but either would play louder than I would care to listen.

I have both in my living room now and have switched back and fourth between the two with an avr and now a higher power amp. Both sets are stock. with the avr my preference was the forte IIs but with the new amp I prefer the Chorus IIs. The avr was rated at 125 wpc and the amp is stated to put out 250 in 2 ch. Where the volume levels are pretty much the same between the amps the sound is not. I would say the Chorus IIs have more presence and just seem to deliver the music smoother. I did prefer the F IIs with the avr, I would believe that it was due purely to it being fuller on the bottom end. With the new amp that is not the case.

You have hit the nail on the head. Some folks don't get it because they haven't experienced it.

For the OP, I tried for a few years to warm up to Adcom with my Chorus II's and I personally could just not do it. I had about every adcom ever made. Theres another world of gear out there that really makes these speakers shine.

I have both in my living room now and have switched back and fourth between the two with an avr and now a higher power amp. Both sets are stock. with the avr my preference was the forte IIs but with the new amp I prefer the Chorus IIs. The avr was rated at 125 wpc and the amp is stated to put out 250 in 2 ch. Where the volume levels are pretty much the same between the amps the sound is not. I would say the Chorus IIs have more presence and just seem to deliver the music smoother. I did prefer the F IIs with the avr, I would believe that it was due purely to it being fuller on the bottom end. With the new amp that is not the case.

You have hit the nail on the head. Some folks don't get it because they haven't experienced it.

For the OP, I tried for a few years to warm up to Adcom with my Chorus II's and I personally could just not do it. I had about every adcom ever made. Theres another world of gear out there that really makes these speakers shine.

Yeah!!! It's called "Sunfire"[Y]

I'm sure there are amps out there that my new newer Emotiva XPA-5 sound weak. But on a low budget and for HT use as well as 2 CH, it made a huge difference over the avr. I will not make another upgrade until next time!

As long as corners are not a problem, I would much rather have 4 Forte IIs than a pair of Chorus IIs.

As far as the Adcom is concerned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with an Adcom 2 channel pre-amp, period !!

I am specifically talking 2 channel, or stereo pre-amp, or multi channel stereo here, as surround sound processer pre amp is another animal altogether...

The amplifier section is another story. I have seen it posted here time and time again that a different Pre amp, and more specifically a tube pre-amp will make more of a difference than an amp. I am here to tell you that those people are full of crap. If you need to spend money, you need a better amp, not a better pre-amp period. There are alot of people on here with a higher post count that will argue and again I say they are full of crap and are talking out of their sphyncter!

Roger

I will not make another upgrade until next time!

Mike,

That's funny. I think that is a motto most of us with this hobby subconsciously live by.

Bill

After I caught myself saying "Now the system is complete!" after yet another upgrade (I think it was the third or fourth time), I decided to stop saying it, because I realized I was not likely to stop upgrading, although the next step won't be for quite a while (I think).

Some people come to this site to ask for help and opinions. Not listen to arguing and bickering back and forth. Everyone has there opinions and perspectives. So pls respect them ..can do without your sarcastic feedbacks..furthermore..there are plenty of places to chat on this site, but when a user comes asking for our help and opinions pls keep the thread on their subject, and just help them out if you can....Especially a new forum member.......ty

Monty

Listen FORUM CAPTAIN,

The only one with an opinion here on this thread so far is you, and you did not even address ANNNYTHING on the orriginal posters question, where as I did, so the opinion needs to stay in your court as what I stated IS fact. There is a large contingent on here that keeps spouting that a pre makes more of a difference then an amp, and that is just plain incorrect. These members have sold themselves a placebo and believe it, and would have a guy like this sell his pre for a perceived improvement that is not there. I attended a blind A/B listening comparison of a used Adcom GFA-565, a older pre amp that can be had for arround $100 on Ebay, and a brand new Juicey music tube pre amp, and more of the guys picked the Adcom when done blind! [:o]

Roger

Some people come to this site to ask for help and opinions. Not listen to arguing and bickering back and forth. Everyone has there opinions and perspectives. So pls respect them ..can do without your sarcastic feedbacks..furthermore..there are plenty of places to chat on this site, but when a user comes asking for our help and opinions pls keep the thread on their subject, and just help them out if you can....Especially a new forum member.......ty

Monty

By the way Bill,

I forgot to welcome you to the forum, and I hope that you realize that I was looking out for your wallet on the stereo Pre-Amp issue. I have owned several Adcom pieces as well as more expensive ones as well. I currently have 4 Nakamichi PA-7 stereo amps for my surround sound amlifiers as I believe the build quality on these two channel amps to be better than the multi channel stuff that is out there.

Again, welcome, and I hope I did not scare you away, as I have seen your exact kind of question before and wanted to keep you from letting someone talk you into something you may not need like designer wires for instance. Good luck...

I lived in and went to school in Bath, Ohio, and have been to Bath Maine, does that count?? Wow, Bath Maine was pretty small as I remember... Roger

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Chorus II speakers (asking $700). I have been in love with my Forte IIs since 1990. Just wondering if I should move up; would love to hear from other Klipsch devotees?

Also, I saw a subject line that said "I heard the Adcom pre-amp is weak link..." I power my Forte IIs with Adcom. Can someone tell me how to get to that forum OR can someone answer that concern?

I am SO glad I found this site!!

Thanks in advance,

Bill Morse

Bath, Maine

lmorse@gwi.net

Welcome to the Forum...or "Family Fued" . LOL!

Nothing wrong with your Adcom gear.

IF IF IF you have loads of reserve power the Chorus II is a heck of a speaker IMHO.

For lower listening levels I prefer the Forte II. For "Rockin' Out" at higher levels I love the Chorus II. It takes a little/lot more horsepower to drive the Chorus II on the bass than it does the Forte II.

I've had 3 pairs of Chorus II and 3 pairs of Forte II. I have both large and small listening areas.

I originally did NOT like the Chorus II but in my conversations with STORMIN ol' Randy enlightened me to the fact that the Chorus II just has to have the power to make them work properly on the bottom end. With the power they are a heck of a speaker.

One last issue you bring up. $700 on Chorus II....For that price they'd better be "MINT". Not that they're not worth it but more along the lines of the current market values. I see a lot of them selling in the $400-$550 range.

Condition and location on large speakers....

Harry

there is a pair of cornwalls for the same price in your state

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/133899.aspx

I think most here would say to keep the fortes and to get the CW's too

+1 based on what I have owned you won't be disappointed. I can't comment on what you'd be missing on the Chorus IIs since I've only heard them but never owned a pair. I think you have to own something and spend some time with them before you can get a good feel about a pair of speakers.

One last issue you bring up. $700 on Chorus II....For that price they'd better be "MINT". Not that they're not worth it but more along the lines of the current market values. I see a lot of them selling in the $400-$550 range.

I've seen them go as high at $900. $400 models will likely be Chorus Is. Quality Chorus IIs usually go $600 to $800 in most cases.