Sherwood S-5000 integrated tube amplifier.

davis419b

I am seriously into 70,s solid state receivers but have always read how good tubes are with Klipshohns. I am looking to buy this integrated amp but I dont know anything about it. I figure there are alot hear that have owned one or listened to one and could give me an opinion. I realize it is not a high dollar tube amp but I dont want to spend alot just to see if I like the sound. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Don

The most important question before considering the S-5000 is whether it has been restored or not. Amps of that vintage usually need to have many capacitors replaced, the output stage bias checked and readjusted, controls checked/cleaned/lubricated, and lots more! Also, what is the condition of the tubes? If memory serves, some of the S-5000s used 7868s in the output stage- real expensive if they need replacement. Are you considering buying it from a reputable dealer/restorer who will give you some kind of warranty? The bottom line is if it is working properly it should sound terrific. But frankly, with K-horns you would probably be better off with a nice, new low powered triode amp. Unless you are into extremely high sound pressure levels, 3-5 watts is more than enough with those speakers.

Don, this one? One recently sold on eBay for quite a bit less. Not sure what they're worth in A-1 condition.

Fini, thats the one ! I ended up getting it for $300 but the problem was that it had no preamp tubes. All 5 he said were bad and he would buy new RCA tubes tomorrow morning @ $10 each or he had 5 nos telefunkin 12AX7 that he had $400 in them and I could have them for $250. After looking at ebay and some other sources I ended up buying them. I am looking at this to be a good first experience with tubes so I didnt want to cheap out. Pboblem is I still havent heard it. Were going to his tech tomorrow or tuesday to have it powered up on a variac. It has been stored away for a year. It is not in clean condition by any means. Here is a picture I took before doing any cleaning.

post-29696-13819556049896_thumb.jpg

post-29696-13819582871696_thumb.jpg

Thanks Fini ! I hope it sounds good tomorrow when we bring it back to life. I have pretty much decided to let him restore it but I want to bring it home first to see how it sounds on my Khorns. The tech has Altec Lansing voice of the theater which should make it sound nice ! After that we will see.

Looking good, and remember... you didn't have to pay/risk shipping!

Thanks pmsummer, I didnt know it at the time I bought this but he has the matching s-2200 tuner with the same case. I have looked at other tuners but none had cases. I am picking up the tuner tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

I absolutely love the top-shot, what a nicely decorated amp.

I have a Sherwood 8000 that I believe is the same amp with the addition of a tuner (it uses the same tubes). Unfortunately, five years was all I got out of the amp, and it is snapping, popping, sometimes shutting off completely, so it is out of service, which is a problem because my Yamaha Natural amp, which cost many $$$, sounds like a tin can connected to a string in comparison.

These were the amps of choice at the Music Box, the long time New England Klipsch dealer, for those who couldn't swing a Mac or Marantz. A good amp, but you might want to invest in a small fan to help keep it cool.

They seem to be seriously undervalued these days. Maybe it's the cost of the tubes.

Or warm the house -- ever wonder why tubes survived in Russia?

Undervalued, by how much: Mine was free from the NYC trash, but a replacement is going to be dicey, esp if you include shipping. I am considering just ripping it down completely, and learning how to test components to rebuild it. I have two other projects queued.

I am doing all my work on my Wikiersity HiFi page