No longer Klipsch

My beloved totally original 1984 K horns are now officially non Klipsch heavily modded examples of Klipsch type speakers. 2 " clone trachorns-ALK clone universal crossovers- Jbl 2440 Drivers- Crites 125 tweeters. OMG what a difference. The horns are totally transformed- much more open- sounding better at all volumes. this is a cold chills OMG mod from the word go. No comparison. At some time in the near future I will be enclosing the bass bins to keep up with these monster horns. These mods have tranformed a totally great set of K horns into a beast which puts a scare into the upper envelope of price no object audiophile speakers IMHO. This is close to as good as it gets. Thanks to Cigarbum for making this deal happen. Enjoy your preamp buddy!!!

I ended up modding my stuff to the point where I'm not using the Khorns at all. See my avatar. I like larger throats on ALL of my horns, period. The lower midrange/midbass from about 200-1,000 hz. is handled my the Peavey horn with a 12" driver with a 4" voice coil going to about a 6' THROAT with a phase plug. The upper mid/treble is the giant JBL 2360 horn with the excellent 2447 J drivers that have a 2" throat, both of these horns are CD. Double B&C tweeters get me to the requisite 109 db efficicency, Which is about 3x better than Khorns. For the bass I'm using Kllipsch MWM clones, which have the bass clarity of a LaScala, but go much lower. I like either straight axix horns or horns with only 2 folds for maximum clarity. Also the MWM throat is much larger than a Khorn.

Next will be a LAB subwwofer or Tapped horn.

so I can see the appeal of the large throat drivers that you have come to prefer. Probably all newer horns from Klipsch are mofified Tractrix.

Claude - How are those 2360s working out? I got a pair of 2365s from jwc, and hope to be trying them out soon. I'm not to worried about the 60x40 in my room, and think the coverage will work out ok. Also not too worried about throat overload, since I'll be using my 2A3 amps.

Bruce

What you need to get to finish off the missing link is a Tuba HT and 100 watt plate amp, it really adds depth and realism like nothing else.

Anything under 70 or 80 hz is perfent, in fact i was thinking of installing the horn mouth braces on my LaScala's to see if it gets rid of the next weakest link, great sounding bass but some frequencies do not sound very natural and i think it may just be the cabinet, it seems to be more apparent at higher volumes.

Claude - How are those 2360s working out? I got a pair of 2365s from jwc, and hope to be trying them out soon. I'm not to worried about the 60x40 in my room, and think the coverage will work out ok. Also not too worried about throat overload, since I'll be using my 2A3 amps.

Bruce

Bruce, would you be interested in a trial swap?? My midbass horns are 60x30, so I want to see if I can match the polars, and in theory, your horn lenses would be better at this than my 2360's, which are 90x40. The2360's are the best sounding horns I have ever owned, which includes K5J's, Altec 511's,K400's, K401's, Old EV's, EV 9040's (very close to the JBL 2360's), EV 1240's, EV 640's, EV 940, JBL 2380, and a few clones.

So I would be intrigued about the polar match the "sister horns" of the ones I have..............keep it in the family so to speak.

What you need to get to finish off the missing link is a Tuba HT and 100 watt plate amp, it really adds depth and realism like nothing else.

Anything under 70 or 80 hz is perfent, in fact i was thinking of installing the horn mouth braces on my LaScala's to see if it gets rid of the next weakest link, great sounding bass but some frequencies do not sound very natural and i think it may just be the cabinet, it seems to be more apparent at higher volumes.

I have I have 2 Peavey MX-1 CD treble horns, and 4 FH-1 bass cbinets. They are a wider version of a LaScala type design with heavy dutyBlack Widow woofers which perform about halfway between a K-33 and K43 Klipsch woofers. The FH-1's are availble really cheap, are built like tanks, and have the braces built-in, which the LaScala lacks. Early versions of this are the SP-1, which is like and MX-1 and FH-1 in a single cab, before they decided to split them and and a midbass.

Anyway, I used to have K-33P's in one pair of FH-1's with EV940 horns and DH-1a drivers. As a 2-way with the Behringer DCX 2496 Active Digital Xover. With all the PEQ and time delay, knocking down the inherent 150Hz. peak in the bass cab, and doing the CD Eq. at 12-15 Khrz. that setup sounded amazing. What was more amazing is that it went down to 30Hz. in my small room. I have moved since and sold the driver to a forum member here in favor of the big JBL stuff.

yes, bracing makes a HUGE difference. So how low do those Tubas go? What about the Titan 48 vs. the Tuba???

As we discussed the other day, I share some of your feeling about " No Longer Klipsch ". I still feel if it had not been for Klipsch and PWK we would never traveled down the road we have ventured down.

I think he would have been proud to see that some expanded the envelope slightly.

Very happy you like your new Klipsch inspired Khorns

CigarBum

The Tuba is great for music, my Dayton 240 watt amp rolls off under 22 hz .

The Titan is geared for live shows

What i like about the Tuba HT is the sound, never have i been happy with a subwoofer, all can pound and boom to make things shake some better than others but since hearing the Tuba its like stepping into a whole different category of sound and takes getting used to, like pulling the cotton out of your ears and hearing it all over again.

Bass notes so clean and do not seem to roll off on the bottom like normal systems i heard in the past

Of course not all music benefits from having a good subwoofer but those that do want to hear it like never before should at least look into one of these big horn loaded units.

Very easy to blend into your system, midbass does not become sloppy.

Next i will build the Table Tuba, a smaller version subwoofer for more experimenting and room positioning options.

As for the brace in the LaScala i think it will be a good and easy task to get done sometime soon.

Bruce, would you be interested in a trial swap??

These might be a good match up for you, but I'm not really interested in trying to ship these up your way. That's the reason jwc gave them to me, since I could pick them up from him. The shipping gets to be a real deal breaker.

The2360's are the best sounding horns I have ever owned, which includes K5J's, Altec 511's,K400's, K401's, Old EV's, EV 9040's (very close to the JBL 2360's), EV 1240's, EV 640's, EV 940, JBL 2380, and a few clones.

Considering all the horns you've had through your system, that's a positive and encouraging statement. I can't wait to finally get these in place and have a listen. Not very aesthetically pleasing, and I won't be a bachelor for much longer. I may end up getting a pair of the Goldwoods to try out. PE is out of stock until May.

Bruce, would you be interested in a trial swap??

These might be a good match up for you, but I'm not really interested in trying to ship these up your way. That's the reason jwc gave them to me, since I could pick them up from him. The shipping gets to be a real deal breaker.

Talked to JC the other night. He thinks I should keep the ones I have, but he's not going by measurement, just gut feel.

Yeah same hear ==> 4 CornScala's all new crossovers ,drvers, horns, woofs,diffrent grills & 3 of the Crites CS-1 Hearsy mods , one even a self-build cabinet (center) & 2 SVS PC12-NSD's driven all by a Onkyo TX-NR807 Damn the rig sounds Killer ,heard things I never heard before on my favorite albums now !

put a HTPC & a Blu-Ray with the Direct TV 7.2 goodness NOW I never leave the house , recorded a Mark Knofler show this week & it sounds better that than when I was there

Not even gonna put the Klipsch badges on them I got !

Bob- the install went perfectly- had to remove another brace to install the drivers- those are some monsters. like I said huge improvement.

I used an alignment tool on the holes and built a nest of wood and cardboard to support them during installation. Definitely a 2 man job- but I was able to pull it off by myself.Of course the woofer section wires were too short to reach the crossovers- had to make up some out of speaker wire.

I have pretty much decided to close in the bass bins at some point.

No Longer Klipsch.....B.S. I will always consider mine to be Klipsch. I think of it this way but you are welcome to your own opinion. PWK built them the way he could sell them given the economics of the era in question. I have his production run and tuned them to my taste.

My '69 Z-28 needed a little tuning to get the best E.T. as well. What size headers (horn throat diameter), crossover = cam lift and overlap and on and on. Why? It was de-tuned to meet the 'times' and sell at a price point. Once I changed the carburetor, ignition and exhaust I guess I should have called it a Mustang or a GTO or a Barracuda (if you're anal replace models with brands; Ford, GM, Mopar.......)

As I have swapped out parts and rebuilt cabinets I have often wondered at what point did I no longer have the right to display Klipsch badges on my La Scalas. I came to the conclusion that as long as I had the bass bins with the serial numbers stamped in the edge they were still Klipsch speakers and worthy of wearing the badge.

USNRET ...After your input I accept You are right & I was wrong ! I will be putting the badges on Proadly !

the Hot-Rod metaphor was the tipping point "Yeah I soupped the B*tches up & they be doing a 10 second run now ! " But they still be a Klipsch !

the Cornie Cabs even those are modded (1" thicker) as well as the Hearsy's (1" thicker) which are a 2 way now they still are Klipsch !

Anyone out there should look into turning your Hearsy's in Bob Crites CS-1 mod , It truley was a OMG moment when I got them up & running

the pix is not the finshed speaker as the horn driver is not in place but it's the only pix I have on my PC

Add three of those CS-1's mods to my 4 CornScala's then run in 7 speaker stereo ,It's tear in the eye moments when listing to alblums that I loved 30 years ago

I now hear things I never heard before on those Classic albums.............

post-41965-13819583112622_thumb.jpg

USNRET,

You are entitled to your opinion as well, but it makes you no less wrong!

Two different perspectives on this with your own car aknowlogy.

1) Claude J1 built his MWM single bins himself. Now if he used all the propper dimentions, and orriginal drivers, does that make them Klipsch?

Answer is no, yet they are closr to the real thing than a modified orriginal, just like an aluminum bodied kit cobra that the frame was built on orriginal Cobra Jig is still a Kit car, and the orriginal highly modified Cobra, while still a Cobra, is worth less after modifications, than it was prior to modifications.

2) Lets take a propper look at the modifications you are talking about in a relative perspective to what you are truely doing to your speakers. Changing out drivers in a speaker is not like changing headers or a carbeurator in a car PERIOD!

A driver is an electric motor, this is fact not conjecture. If we change out a Klipsch driver for another driver that came in a Klipsch, it is still Klipsch... Think small block to big block conversion. However, if you change a driver out for a driver that was never ever a Klipsch option, It is like putting a Ford engine, mopar engine, or Merlin WORLD products all aluminum engine in your Camaro. See, your Camaro may still be a Camaro, and your Corner Horn may still be a Corner Horn, but your camaro has an engine witch doesn't have a single piece that GM ever produced. Therefore, your Camaro is not a Chevy any more, and your Cornerhorn is no longer a Klipsch.

I have an orriginal cast iron 427 SOHC Ford Hemi engine and an all aluminum aftermarket brand new Cammer without any stock pieces. I am not dumb enough to believe that my aluminum engine is a Ford.

Roger

No Longer Klipsch.....B.S. I will always consider mine to be Klipsch. I think of it this way but you are welcome to your own opinion. PWK built them the way he could sell them given the economics of the era in question. I have his production run and tuned them to my taste.
My '69 Z-28 needed a little tuning to get the best E.T. as well. What size headers (horn throat diameter), crossover = cam lift and overlap and on and on. Why? It was de-tuned to meet the 'times' and sell at a price point. Once I changed the carburetor, ignition and exhaust I guess I should have called it a Mustang or a GTO or a Barracuda (if you're anal replace models with brands; Ford, GM, Mopar.......)