Forte upgrades

lyeerluna

Recently got some 89 Forte's and am going to upgrade crossovers and maybe even titanium tweeter diaphragms. Could anyone recomend a powered sub to fill in the low end? Don't have much money, so looking for an inexpensive solution. Could even build a kit if you know of a good one. Thanks, Brian.

I have a pair of Bob Crites' midrange diaphragms that I'd sell for $50 shipped if you're interested.

Brands such as Hsu, elemental designs and SVS offer a tremendous value for the money when it comes to subwoofers.

I'll keep that in mind. Will probably start with the crossover rebuild first and go from there. My main problem is with the treble; just something missing since I swihched from some old so-so speakers from the same era. BTW using a brand new NAD c315 BEE amp to run these and got bass and treble cranked all the way up. Bass is solid, mid excellent, just not so crisp in the highs.

Lyeerluna,

If you want the most crisp for the bucks, get the Crites titanium diaphrams($52.50 shipped). I installed mine about a month ago and crisper and more detailed is the best way to describe the difference than with the stock phenolics. Then do the crossover rebuild or Crites crossover replacement.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. Appreciate the feeedback. What's your opinion of the before and after of the crossover rebuild?

I only repalced the diaphrams. Have not gotten to the crossovers yet. I have seen tons of very positive feedback when someone either recaps the crossovers or has Bob Crites build them a crossover board. Just refreshing the caps is cheaper but a new crossover board with all new parts is a great option if you don't mind spending a little more. Either should result in a noticeable sonic improvement.

Bill

"... BTW using a brand new NAD c315 BEE amp to run these and got bass and treble cranked all the way up. Bass is solid, mid excellent, just not so crisp in the highs..."

Do you mean that you have the preamp Bass and Treble boost controls full on and this is your ususal listening preference?

David F

San JoseCA

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say preamp, I think preamp plus amp combo. Mine is an integrated amp. I have the bass and treble turned all the way up , I guess cuz I like a good deal of bass and a good deal of high end as well. I'm about to turn 40 and have been to my share of rock concerts, so there may be a little bit of hearing loss over the years. But, in my defense, my old sort of crappy speakers had more treble than these. I'm not saying I don't like them, but I know that they could hit the highs better and want to figure out how to do that. Thanks, Brian.

Do your crossovers first. The basic caps Klipsch used were so-so to start with.

They're over 20 years old and pretty much have "had it".

I've done a pair of Forte and Forte II in the last month and the difference in top end is amazing. They tightened up quite nice in the mids also.

The Sonicaps are nice but not necessary to spend the bucks on them. About any decent cap from Parts Express is higher quality than Klipsch used.

ONE upgrade at a time.

Sorry, yes I meant the controls on your amp. I asked in order to confirm your preference for the high boost in treble and base. Klipsch speakers as voiced in original form are not known for being treble shy. Your hearing loss could indeed reduce the upper octave and maybe even the below 10k hertz. But that aside for the moment from what I am reading into your posts your previous speakers were either outrageously bright or perhaps the high range horns on the Fortes are not working.

If the tweeters in the Forte are up to spec and you still feel the need for the boost then I am not certain any form of "upgrade" is going to deliver what you expected. Same with the bass side.

Point is that if the Fortes are up to spec to begin with you may not be looking for an upgrade. More of total re-design, right?

It seems to me, from what other people are telling me, that this wouldn't be a total re-design or even an upgrade. More like basic maintenance. If you have an old car and something isn't working right you fix it. That's all I intend to do. I have a pretty good ear for details in music and the hearing loss thing was sort of a half joke. I'll probably go with the crossover first since it's less expensive and go from there. I really appreciate your feedback!

I picked up a pair of Forte 1 yesterday (BC crossover upgrade already installed). I have several fullrange speaker systems..... (VMPS Supertowers, Apogee Duetta Signatures, and Apogee MiniGrands).

After listening to my new Forte for a few hours yesterday (Rogue 120 Magnum tube monos) ....I think the Forte bass response is very good in my large room?....much better than I was expecting...... it's musical and with great impact.( I'd guess 30-35hz)

I'll be listening to the top end today with some well recorded violin music I have...but I didn't hear anything that makes me think I'm short here either?....although I was mostly checking out bass yesterday.

Dave

Let me know how it goes. Maybe it's just my ears, but I suspect these babies need to be brought back to original, or maybe better than original. Could be a personal preferen ce. It could all be a subjective thing, but I need to find out for myself. Anyone else want to share their opnion? Thanks, BTW! Youre all probably getting sick of my posts, huh?

Wuzzzer, thanks..........and I agree.

I played a lot of very well recorded music yesterday (gave them the old audiophile test)....the violins were nearly as sweet sounding as played back on my Apogee ribbons [Y]

My only real complaint so far is the box......but my other box speakers suffer the same. I don't suppose the box sound bothers most people that don't listen to planer speakers as often as I do.

On another note.......GOD can these things play rock music !............simply outstanding on Pink Floyd the Wall.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Did my rebuild from Bob Crites. Kit came with one Sonicap 1uf, two Sonicap 1.5 uf, and a standard 47uf cap (per speaker crossover). Also replaced tweeter diaphragms with titanium. Sounds much better, especially in the treble after the titanium replacements. Crossover work was a bit of a pain cuz the caps are almost twice the width of the stock 1uf's and 1.5ufs, so you have to stack one of the 1.5uf's on top of the other two caps and run the leads down diagonally to the board. Put some sort of heat shrink tubing or wire insulation on those leads so they don't short out with the other leads. And use hot glue to secure them all in place. Not as diifficult as it sounds, just takes time and make sure you think ahead before starting. I found it easiest to just remove the passive radiator in back so you can easily disconnect the speaker leads and pull the whole mess out. Hope this helps! Brian