Awesome Two Channel Setup

Vital

Last weekend a friend of ours invited us over for a get together and we went upstairs to check out his two channel setup. The first room he had the top of the line Cerwin Vegas with the two 15" woofers and waveguide on the tweeter. I had read up on these awhile back and thought they might be cool for a cheap garage system to rock out to. Well he had them hooked up to a tube amp and I expected them to at least sound decent but wow, total garbage. Best way to describe it is "muddy". No way I would waste my money on those things.

Well off to the next room. At this point I'm thinking this guy doesnt know what good sound is lol. Well we walked around the corner into his real 2 channel system and holy crap! Here is a picture of it. Sorry for such a crappy photo, it was taken with the cheap camera on my Sidekick phone. Next get together I'll take my digital camera over there. The speakers are Focal Nova Utopia and the amps are Pass Labs I think. The CD player on top was not up and running yet, he had just bought it. Said it was close to 20k new or something like that. Anyway the sound was very nice. For the price of the speakers though, I dont see it being worth it. He said he has found what he's looking for though, he has had Watt Puppies and many other speakers and he said these Utopias are what he's been looking for. Anyway, here is the pic I took.

Posted Image

Glad to hear that your friend has found his heaven. After all, this hobby is subjective and there are always different paths to get where you want to be.

Are the speakers the first generation Utopias or the second generation Utopia Bes (for Beryllium tweeters)? If the second generation, the Bes are going for $35k+.

I can think of some interesting cars that I could tool around once I get in that price range or higher.............

Carl.

Are the speakers the first generation Utopias or the second generation Utopia Bes (for Beryllium tweeters)? If the second generation, the Bes are going for $35k+.

There is alot more money than that sitting in the room pictured. Double that to start.

Yeah, that there is some BIG MONEY!

I would have loved to hear those speakers, as they are supposed to be pretty darn amazing. For those prices, they better be! [:P]

Thanks for posting the pic and keep us posted.

Dennie

There is alot more money than that sitting in the room pictured. Double that to start.

Absolutely, at least twice that amount of money in that room - I was just focusing on the speaks.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear the setup. I love my horns, but also appreciate other topologies.

For example, I had to make a place for my Andromedas in the garage.......

Carl.

That room is very small, only one recliner in there too, just for him! I would guess the room is 12x12 at the most. The Nova's are the second gen. Some of the music he was playing was a bit harsh but I don't know if it was the CD, the amps or what. At one point he played something and I look over with a huge smile on my face and my buddy is grinning ear to ear as well. It was pretty funny. I still "imagine" a pair of khorns or Jubes setup right with the right tube gear could at least give it a run for it's money. Maybe I'm just dreaming but I like to "imagine" that's what they are capable of. I don't know, I'm still running these low level RF-7s but you know as soon as I got home I popped in a cd and sat down - still love the sound of these RF-7s so they didnt ruin me by any means.