Another digital camera question - Point & Shoot

Amy

• Moderators

Looking for recommendations for a simple less-than-$200 "point & shoot" digital camera for my mom. Keep in mind she's not a computer person, or a camera person for that matter. The whole idea of "uploading" pictures freaks her out. This needs to be as simple as they come, but still takes nice pictures.

She's been using nothing but disposable cameras for the past 15 years or so ... I really need to break her of that.

Kodak has some REALLY easy point&shoot cameras at WalMart; you can get them with a charging/interface base that connects to the computer so you just sit the camera on the base & it automatically downloads them to the computer & charges the camera. They used to have a base with built in printer that was awesome, but I haven't seen one of those in a while. Prices are very competitive.

Amy,

I just purchased the Nikon L20 (newer version is the L22). Got mine on sale at Office Max for 89.00 + 14.95 for a 2GB Memory Card.

The only thing I discovered is to Buy a Good Quality Long life AA Batteries for the Unit. Panasonic Ultimate Batteries.

If you could get her interested, go to , BB or Wal Mart. Have HER pick up and try out the different cameras. This way she hopefully pick one that

is comfortable to Her.

JMHO.

I've got a Kodak, it takes great pics. I don't like the software that came with it though. It's too confusing when you're trying to get pics threough the docking station to your PC. I ended up buying a card reader and pulling the SD memory out of the camera and using the reader to transfer pics. It's much easier that way. I also have a little Canon at work. It's software is much easier to use.

The Canon A-series (A480, A560, A590, etc.) are good, and in the $100-$200 range; they give complete control to who wants it or can be left in fully automated mode. Pull the card out, take it to the Walmart photo kiosk, and print the ones you want. I selected this model for my 80 yr old father to give to his 75 yr old girlfriend, and she loves it.She does not download files to a computer, just prints from the memory card directly. I have one myself, but I use it in manual mode with specific settings selected for the shot.

Update: One of the positive things about it is it takes 2 AA batteries, instead of an expensive dedicated battery. I have only used 2650 mAh NiMH rechargables, and they last a very reasonable amount of time. Regular alkaline AAs may not last a very long time in any digital camera.

The Panasonic Lumix is the best sub $200 camera in my opinion. I have an older Lumix that I love and I just bought the DMC-FS7 for my girlfriend after an exhaustive amount of research. Lumix uses a Leica designed lens that is better than any other sub compact, it is durable and built very well, it has longer battery life than most any other compact, it has a large 2.7" screen, it uses SD cards, it has an incredible image stability feature (for those with less than steady hands) and it is incredibly easy to take good pictures thanks to its Intelligent Auto feature which I use most all the time since it works so well. The best part is, no matter what changes you (or someone else) has made to the camera settings, getting back to iA (Intelligent Auto) is just a button press away. And it's a clearly marked button near the shutter release. $140 from Amazon. Two big thumbs up. [Y] [Y]

The Panasonic Lumix is the best sub $200 camera in my opinion. I have an older Lumix that I love and I just bought the DMC-FS7 for my girlfriend after an exhaustive amount of research. Lumix uses a Leica designed lens that is better than any other sub compact, it is durable and built very well, it has longer battery life than most any other compact, it has a large 2.7" screen, it uses SD cards, it has an incredible image stability feature (for those with less than steady hands) and it is incredibly easy to take good pictures thanks to its Intelligent Auto feature which I use most all the time since it works so well. The best part is, no matter what changes you (or someone else) has made to the camera settings, getting back to iA (Intelligent Auto) is just a button press away. And it's a clearly marked button near the shutter release. $140 from Amazon. Two big thumbs up. YesYes

[Y]

I bought my mom a Panasonic Lumix not long ago, great camera takes excellent pics and is about as easy to use as any digital I've seen. I did a lot of comparison shopping when I bought it.

My family buys Canon everything. Printers,scanners and Camera's. But here lately Canon is lacking something in there point and shoots in the $200 range. We bought my mother-in-law one in that range and it was terrible. Eats batterys. Terrible in low light (in doors)even with a flash. If you kick in another $100 amd get a Sony DSC H20. It has a good flash. Rechargable batterys and that were you will make up the $100. Big LCD. and the menu I believe is in full sentences. Very easy to use. Very good pictures indoors as well as out doors. I don't recommend many things but I fell strongly about this. I think when Camera makers went to 2 AA batterys they made a mistake. I don't think its enough juice to run a good camera, so it sucks them dry in a hurry. Thats my 2 cents. Good luck Amy.

Hope I didn't step on anyones toes. I'm no expert thats for sure.

The Pentax E80 (and now E90) was designed for use by seniors and people with less than ideal vision, so the buttons have large clear markings and a straightforward layout. I got an E80 last Fall as my first digital camera and I hardly even needed to use the manual.

The E90 is improved over the E80 by having a rubberized body with a shape that's easier to grip and the camera costs under $100. It can shoot HD video and can stitch together 3 images to make a panoramic photo. I've also been able to make some good pictures indoors without flash for a natural look. It uses a pair of AA batteries which is handy both for occasional users and travellers who may be away from a handy power source to recharge batteries.

The camera came with image-sorting software, but I haven't bothered to use it yet, just transferred pix to the computer with the included cable. I just put a pair of batteries in the camera and started using it. I'm well pleased with it.

It also comes in red or black. More info here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_E90_Black/

In red: http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_E90_Red/

Another plug for the Lumix. I had/have a Canon S60 Powershot, 5MP camera that my brother gave me when my wife was dying. He sent it and said take all the pics you can. Canons are wonderful cameras, and I just bought my fiancee the equivalent of an SD1300. Great camera and optics, 4x optical zoom, 12MP.

But I digress... My Canon died, although they may fix for free... it may be a cable came unglued from the sensor. In the meantime, I bought a thinner Panasonic - Lumix DMC-LZ8. Once I learned what to do with it, the pics are great and I can still put it in my pocket. It is always compromise, and I wanted something I could always have with me. This works great. I am always using it at work for documentation, whether it be capturing drawings on a whiteboard or equipment racks and patchbays. However, it eats the double A batteries, although not as bad as I would have expected.

However, it eats the double A batteries, although not as bad as I would have expected.

The newer Lumix models have a rechargeable battery that last a pretty long time, and a nice small charger. Also, Lumix cameras are made in Japan, whereas most all the other companies outsource to China.

Another plug for the Lumix. I had/have a Canon S60 Powershot, 5MP camera that my brother gave me when my wife was dying. He sent it and said take all the pics you can. Canons are wonderful cameras, and I just bought my fiancee the equivalent of an SD1300. Great camera and optics, 4x optical zoom, 12MP.

But I digress... My Canon died, although they may fix for free... it may be a cable came unglued from the sensor. In the meantime, I bought a thinner Panasonic - Lumix DMC-LZ8. Once I learned what to do with it, the pics are great and I can still put it in my pocket. It is always compromise, and I wanted something I could always have with me. This works great. I am always using it at work for documentation, whether it be capturing drawings on a whiteboard or equipment racks and patchbays. However, it eats the double A batteries, although not as bad as I would have expected.

I would stay away from cameras which use double A batteries, they have a short battery life. The Lumix I bought my mother did not use double A, it had it's own battery and charger and has a very long charge life and a quick charge time as well.

A great point and shoot camera with just about all kinds of easy access options is the Olympus SP-570UZ. Awesome camera. I have one for sale Amy if you are looking for one. This one is still new in the box. I had purchased two of them, one for me and one for my daughter, for my trip to Chicago. My daughter did not want it she leaned more towards the little pocket size cameras. I would sell it to you at a price you could not refuse.

post-34995-1381958299444_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I would sell it to you at a price you could not refuse.

Those look really nice, but might be a bit much for mom. Shoot me an email any way so I can weigh all my options. [:)]

Thanks!

If you weren't averse to buying used, my wife has a Canon SD800 IS, and it produces stunning photos. Very easy to use. It was one of the first subcompacts to have a 28mm (35mm equivalent) low end on the zoom. Check out the linked review. I would be more than happy to evaluate any used one you find on eBay, Craigslist, etc.

Oh, and to weigh in on the battery debate, I am a huge fan of OEM (as opposed to AA/AAA) batteries. IMHO, they simply last longer. Buy two batteries (I have not) and you will be good to go.