Replacement Heresy Cab questions

I bought 2 Heresy speakers... the Cabs were rocked and had my cabinet maker make a set of newones to drop my parts into.

I got the wise idea of using slightly larger measurements (Internal) 21"tall x 15" Wide x 14" deep. ~2.5cu ft instead of ~1.8cu feet.

Is this going to mess things up? I can add material to 2 sides... Its 3/4"mdf + 3'4"oak ply on the sides, top and bottom and only 3/4" oak on front and back.

So I can add alot of matterial if needed... Do I need to? This are stock, using the old parts.

Thanx, Justin

I remesured things... I was working in the ER... hard to concentrate.

Internal measurement is 21 tall x 14wide x 13deep

21x14x13=3822cu in = ~2.21 cu ft Is .2 over too much?

If I have to bring down. I can add a 3/4" mdf panel to the rear... making is 1.5" thick on all side but the motor board.

21x14x.75"thick=220cu in

3822cu in minus 220cu in = 3602cu in = ~2.08cu ft Seems very very close then :-).

21x13x12.25 = 3601.5 ~ 3602 = ~2.08

Heresy I specs: Outside 21.4" (54.36cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.2" (33.53cm)

~ Inside 20” x 14 x 11.5 =3220 cu in - ~ 1.8cu ft

From what Ive read… many feel the cab could func. Well as a 2.0 cu ft cab.

At 2.2cu ft (as is now) is .6 larger than stock.

If I reduce to 2.08cu ft is .22 larger than stock

Thoughts?

Thank you

Bob Crites figured the internal volume of a Hersey @ 3339 cu.inch as I was building a center speaker & a hersey cab didn't fit into my entertainment center .So I had to build one& I wanted the horns side ways with the woof off to the side

add some 1/2" x 1/2" bracing to the internal seams & that with your added panels will get you very close the that volume

the Volume all has to do with the sealed woofer as it's tuned to that volume , this worked for me ! :)

OK to drop the volume down, I have cut a back panel .75thick (20 15/16 x 13 15/16) and top and bottom panels .5 thick (13 15/16 x 12 3/16)

So new internal measurements are 20x14x12.25 = 3430cu = ~198cu ft.... Im done... Good I hoep it sounds good.

I bought garilla glue and 1 5/8ths deck screws... the inside of this cab is wayyyy tooo thick... I love heavy but wow...

Side are 3/4" mdf + 3/4" oak ply.

Front is 3/4 Oak ply, read is 3/4 oak ply + 3/4 MDF.

Top and bottom are 3/4" oak 3/4" MDF + 3/4" MDF The top and bottom have 3/4" MDF+3/4 oak, glued and screwed. I now have to glue and Screw the additional 3/4 MDF to the 3/4" MDF.

I soooo hoope no resonant sounds happen.

my rebuild Hersey's are 1 & 1/2" thick all they way around as I added 3/4" oak Plywood to all surfaces but the motor board , even added 3/4" to the back panel(which I M H O was Way too filmsy) as stock I could feel that back panel vibrate

the sound of the Bass response improved greatly after added the thickness & Yeah they be some heavy beasts ... I sealed everything tight

They sound GREAT !

i learned this all when I rebuild my Cornwalls into CornScala's as I had added 3/4" Oak plywood to all surfaces there also

the bass response was a Huge difference with the CornScala's over the Stock Cornwall's @ the time I was told I was doing an OverKill & wasting my time ,money but that did not happen it really made a very noticable difference ........

Look into the Bob Crites CS-1 mod for those cab's You Will Not Be Sorry!

see this post of mine as you seem to be doing the same as I have done as your CornScala build was exactly like mine same horns & drivers that I used

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/134111/1361773.aspx#1361773

last post

I sold all the Klipsch Heasy parts for about 2/3 what the CS-1 mod cost me , Soo it not really that expense & the outcome was Jaw dropping !

the same thing happened with my Cornwall drivers & woofs they sold fast for about 2/3 what the new Crites drivers cost me to convert to the CornScala mod

Im just trying to get these Heresys sorta back to basics... went overbaord on the new cabs.

I did call Klipsch today and found out I can buy a K401 for $50.... WOOWOOWOWOOWOW amaging. After my weding May 1 I will be buying just to hold on to :-). G/F is a bit unhappy with the number of large speakers... let alone tube amps. :-)

Are these the original Heresy parts? Or from a Heresy II speaker?

My son built new mid horns for his original Heresy speakers, put the mid and the Crites tweeter on the outside of the cabinet. The original hole for the mid is covered and the original hole for the tweeter has been turned into a port. I can't remember the depth of the port. They sound GREAT! The bass is deeper, too.