Ping jason str

Olorin

Until he chimes in...

I had a pair of Chorus II for a month or so, while they were in transit to another forum member. Easier placement in your room, with nice WAF. The tractrix mid is a plus. Nice tight bass, goes lower than the LS. Perhaps needs a bit more power to strut its stuff. I didn't try them with my 2A3 amps, only powered them with a 75wpc SS amp. I've wanted my own pair ever since, but only as an addition and not as replacements for my LS. I could live with either model.

I felt they are head and shoulders above Cornwalls. Great slam, fine detail.

Bruce

The Chorus II's are great speakers that love to rock, they offer a great front row concert sound that can really slam when powered up properly though they lack much of the finesse, detail and soundstage the LaScala offers.

I find myself in front of the LaScala's much more since adding the Tuba sub, at first i missed the slam factor the Chorus II offers, as many know the LaScala offers great bass response but lack the ability to produce the lowest frequencies that now is picked up by the Tuba to offer the best of both worlds.

You looking for some new audio goodies and not sure witch way to go ?

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I find myself at a crossroads. I have a fine setup with my Chorus II/Academy/Quartet set and do really like the way this generation of Klipsch sounds. However, my Choruses were damaged pretty badly on their way to me, and while I've lived with it up to now, lately when I push them I can hear the damage. One cabinet definitely leaks and the other one probably does, and it's clearly audible, so I'm weighing rebuilding the Chorus cabs versus parting out the Choruses and selling the Academy and Quartets to fund some La Scalas while using the Heresys I already own for surround.

So yeah, I'm curious, and I'm noodling. Either path is a fair amount of
work, and I'm the kind of guy who likes to have some idea of where I'm going to end up before I start a project. Since I've never heard Scalas in person, I'm not sure if I'd be going from where I am (or should say where I could be, were my Choruses in proper trim) to someplace better, someplace almost as good, or someplace that's the same only it's different. My use is about 50% casual TV watching, 35% filling the house with music while I do things, 10% movie watching, and 5% really listening to the music.

I do love the way the Choruses sound. They have tremendous detail and clarity, and can create an expansive sound field. No only that, but they can really crank. They get loud, they get really loud, they get ridiculously loud, they get stupidly loud, and then they get louder, and they never really lose their composure.

It's interesting you mention the detail of the Scalas. The Heresys were the first good speakers I owned, and I'd always been under the impression that the Heresy shares a sonic signature with the Khorn/Scala/Belle/Cornwall family. When I switched from them to Fortes, I immediately thought one of the great things the Fortes offered was clarity, finesse, and detail that the Heresys lacked. They didn't exactly stomp the Heresys, but they outdid them in that respect -- they were just clearer, more open. On the other hand, the Heresys had more midrange impact in most movie sound effects than the Fortes had. The Chorus then did everything the Forte did, just bigger.

I know it's not really fair to compare Heresys to Choruses and the La Scala would be a better head-to-head. If the Scala has all the detail and expanse and finesse that the Chorus has, though, while retaining that big high-impact signature, and they don't give up anything in the sheer "how much air can I move and how hard can I move it" department, they might be just what I'm after.

I'm not exactly sure where there could be any leaks, the cabinet is sealed unless its around the drivers and thats an easy fix.

You could part out the drivers if needed, they are worth a mint but i would not do that unless there was no other option.

If just loud is what you are after the LaScala will stomp all over Chorus, just not with as much deep bass.

Since completing my fully horn loaded system and hearing how good music can really sound i wont be doing much more than fine tweaking from here on out.

Sadly, they were dropped hard enough in shipping that the top right edge is separated on one speaker, and the other speaker has some scars and probable separation. I've considered removing all the drivers, pulling on some nitrile gloves, and caulking all the interior seams with PL or a silicon caulk; it would be an easy fix, and if it's a fail, I'm out about eight bucks and three hours of time, but if it succeeds, I'm a veneer and stain from some really cherry looking and fantastic sounding units. I guess I'm thinking as I type here, but when I look at it that way, trying to save them seems like a no-brainer.

I have to laugh a little, since in reading your reply I think I must have overemphasized the "loud" in my preferences. I do love that I can take them to club levels, but what I love most is HOW the Chorus IIs sound, and a huge bonus that they sound that way all the way up to stupid levels of output. They just sound great at any volume, and most of my use is really pretty moderate.

I'm getting the impression that the Scalas aren't better than the Chorus so much that they're just a different kind of really good. If that's the case, I'll put the effort into saving these cabs and carry on being happy with what I've got. I really would love to hear an all-horn system some day, but having a
system that's at the level of the one I have, I think getting to the
next level might be a whole lot of resources that will yield just a
little gain.

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in and give your perspective. I really appreciate your helping fill in some of my knowledge blanks.

I would use some WEST Sytem epoxy or something similar to 'glue' thecabinets back together. Saturate from the inside and they will certainly stay together and be sealed.Just make sure the pieces are clamped in the correct position before doing the work. [:|]

Chorus II vs LaScala? They do not sound anything alike to me. BTW I had the ChorusII/Academy/Quartet combo for a very long time in my HT (I put another Academy in the back for 6.1). You need to hear LaScalas to see if you like the sound before you make an un-doable decision.

Chorus II vs LaScala? They do not sound anything alike to me.

I totaly agree, with LaScala's the mids are much more convincing , the bass is more refined for a general description + the crossover frequency from woofer to squawker is lower on the LaScala giving the midrange a cleaner, sharper feel the Chorus lacks.

• Moderators

You're in central California, try to find some LaScalas to listen to, I think you will like them especialy with a sub to help out there only weak spot. The LaScala has the same midrange as the Khorn, to me that's where the big difference is.

I would also try to fix the others, you could always part them out if the glue does not work.

I find myself in front of the LaScala's much more since adding the Tuba sub, at first i missed the slam factor the Chorus II offers, as many know the LaScala offers great bass response but lack the ability to produce the lowest frequencies that now is picked up by the Tuba to offer the best of both worlds.

Hey Jason, i am in the process of building a Tuba HT Sub to run with my LSI's. Got all of the wood cut yesterday, can't wait to hear this sub, but i'll take my time and do it right.

Hey Jason, i am in the process of building a Tuba HT Sub to run with my LSI's. Got all of the wood cut yesterday, can't wait to hear this sub, but i'll take my time and do it right.

Very nice, the build will be well worth your time and you will be impressed.

Follow the plan and you will have no issues.

I have both Chorus II and La Scalas and I can tell you they are both great speakers. However, the LSs will hand it to the Chorus IIs in both their mid range and overall loudness. Don't get me wrong, Chorus IIs are still really freakin loud and can actually handle more juice than the LSs. The LSs are louder at lower levels for sure. If I had to give up one, for me the choice would take less than 5 seconds - bye bye Chorus IIs. Fortunately, I don't have to make that choice. I really love them both.