Getting my 2ch rig started!!!

samson

Well, I've been looking for a nice vintage receiver for a long time and yesterday I stumbled on this beast for 40 bucks on Craigslist. I hooked it up to my KG 4.2's and it sounds outstanding. I've got a lead on a pair Fortes and a new turntable.

post-31463-13819583294266_thumb.jpg

Love it. I'm old school when it comes to 2CH.

I picked up a mint Sansui G5700 (75wpc) off CL for 45 bucks. He lived less than 10 mins from my door.

Last week I got an Academy Center, a pair of 3.2s and a nice old Yamaha receiver all for $95. Can't wait to see what's next.

Well, I've been looking for a nice vintage receiver for a long time and yesterday I stumbled on this beast for 40 bucks on Craigslist. I hooked it up to my KG 4.2's and it sounds outstanding. I've got a lead on a pair Fortes and a new turntable.

With all the apparent interest in vintage solid state receivers among forum contributors, I haven't seen any discussion of checking the DC offset before hooking them up in your system. Often, for a variety of reasons, the DC offset (the DC voltage mesured between the (+) and (-) speaker terminals, with speakers disconnected, the volume control all the way down, and no signal input) can be very high. This not only results in greatly increased distortion, but if high enough, is potentially speaker damaging. I'd start to get concerned if the offset is greater than 50 millivolts, and would recommend that the units be serviced by a qualified technician who can set it for you. Ideally, the DC offset should not exceed single digits. Turn on the receiver and wait about 10 minutes for things to warm up and stabilize before measuring.

Good point, I hooked it up to assure it worked. I scheduled an appointment with my "amp" guy for this week. He's going to fully test and clean the unit and take care of any bugs that pop up. I can tell you that the volume pot is going to need to be cleaned/replaced as it is a little scratchy. I am a tech for a living, but I work mostly with industrial equiptment, servo/stepper drives, plc's, etc. I just don't have the time anymore to do all the repairs myself. The family takes priority nowadays.[;)]