Which bands make you hurl and why?

oldmako

Pink Floyd- Thank god this is a "no flame" thread, because I'm sure some of you are looking for something to throw at your computers. I just don't get it, the lightshows and everything?? I don't know, must be awesome if you're high as a kite, but I don't do anything harder than booze, so again, I don't get it.

Now, I happen to love Dave Matthews, but I can totally understand why a lot of people hate him. He does have fantastic musicians around him. Timmy Reynolds is a pretty darn good guitar player.

Also, there are some really great newer bands out there, they are just really hard to find because they aren't played on the readio (thank god), and pop music sucks so badly right now. A band called Band of Horses comes to mind...great band, formed in Seattle but has a very southern-bluesy sound.

Jrod

It took me being much older to understand Pink Floyd, but I now know what a great musician David Gilmour is. I do happen to like DMB a little bit for their 'musicality' but certainly not the lack of talent of Dave Matthews himself.

Isn't the group Band of Horses' front man the son of Sting?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't the group Band of Horses' front man the son of Sting?

Nope, the lead singer's name is Ben Bridwell. Sting's son fronts a group called Fiction Plane??? Never heard them. Maybe Floyd will grow on me. I do have great respect for Gilmore, I know he's a great musician. I've heard his blu-ray is outstanding.

Gary I agree with the opinion that the stones may be the most overated band ever! Cant believe they have the followig they do.Harder to believe that people believe they are a better band than the Beatles. Big Joke.

Forgot to mention on the hurlometer the Dixie Chicks. Say the name natalie and Im praying to the porcelain god.

Thanks for all the support regarding the Rolling Stones! You people
got class!!

Forgot to mention Springsteen. I like the song Born To Run but that's about it.

Fini - Point taken. NRBQ is the exception to the rule during the 80s.[;)]

The ghost of oldbuckster will haunt you for that stones comment

Be afraid, be very afraid!!

I'll sleep with one eye open tonight.[;)]

Not sure the buckster was much of a Grateful Dead fan so that probably makes us even.

Thanks for all the support regarding the Rolling Stones! You people
got class!!

Forgot to mention Springsteen. I like the song Born To Run but that's about it.

Fini - Point taken. NRBQ is the exception to the rule during the 80s.Wink

I have lots of friends that like Springsteen but I never understood the attraction.

KC and the Sunshine Band and Disco in general. Yeah, I grew up in the seventies and while there was a lot of good music we veered off course there. Come to think of it that was a really odd time with cars also, AMC Pacer's, Ford Pinto's, Chevy Vega's with half a real engine, rubber bumper MG's and Triumphs. I could go on. Heard Tiny Tim for the first time in years and damn...........................................like I said, out to lunch for a while.

Old Country, Hank Williams, George Jones, etc., although these days Waylon Jennings, Jerry Jeff Walker, and Willis Allan Ramsey would be considered old country vs. the current pop country. By the way Ramseys album was good stuff particularly "Spider John". Jerry Jeff, just off the wall enough you had to like him particularly if you were drunk cause if you were seeing him he generally was. If you were drunk and puked the music wasn't necessarily the reason. Par for the course.

Alot of Classic Rock. It's been played and played and played and played. Even though I grew up with it there can be brief periods of burp and blow brought on by Irritated Bowel Syndrome.

My wife hates Gordon Lightfoot. Took her to a concert of his anyway at Ravinia in Chicago years back and inside of his first song she rolled over and vomited after finishing her Kentucky Fried dinner. I kid you not. Had to take her home and missed the concert. Probably caused by more than the music but it was all the same to her. All those folks on the grass with candles, wine, food and a woman hoarking on the side moaning I told you not to bring me here.

See if the vocals on this don't make you crazy:

Gollbetty - uewo:

Here's some politically conscious Spanish ska, or is it punk? Ska is usually pretty cheery stuff, but these guys are real downers. They also have a pretty grim video to go with their song Intifada, and one about child soldiers, too.

Ska-P - Welcome to Hell:

See if the vocals on this don't make you crazy:

Gollbetty - uewo:

Pat, it wasn't that bad! I mean, I've heard WAY worse (Maynard Ferguson comes to mind...).[;)]

Pat, it wasn't that bad! I mean, I've heard WAY worse (Maynard Ferguson comes to mind...).Wink

Well, her voice does have more depth and range than the Chipmunks. A little, anyway. That particular clip makes her sound and look like a chirpy little robot.

Jeeze, maybe that's why I can put up with her! My daughter built robots for 4 years in high school! Plus, we had a cute Japanese girl (Yoshino!!) here for a week last year...

Jeeze, maybe that's why I can put up with her! My daughter built robots for 4 years in high school! Plus, we had a cute Japanese girl (Yoshino!!) here for a week last year...

Fini, How can I get a Japanese girl for a week this year ????????????????

KC and the Sunshine Band and Disco in general. Yeah, I grew up in the seventies and while there was a lot of good music we veered off course there. Come to think of it that was a really odd time with cars also, AMC Pacer's, Ford Pinto's, Chevy Vega's with half a real engine, rubber bumper MG's and Triumphs. I could go on. Heard Tiny Tim for the first time in years and ***...........................................like I said, out to lunch for a while.

Old Country, Hank Williams, George Jones, etc., although these days Waylon Jennings, Jerry Jeff Walker, and Willis Allan Ramsey would be considered old country vs. the current pop country. By the way Ramseys album was good stuff particularly "Spider John". Jerry Jeff, just off the wall enough you had to like him particularly if you were drunk cause if you were seeing him he generally was. If you were drunk and puked the music wasn't necessarily the reason. Par for the course.

Alot of Classic Rock. It's been played and played and played and played. Even though I grew up with it there can be brief periods of burp and blow brought on by Irritated Bowel Syndrome.

My wife hates Gordon Lightfoot. Took her to a concert of his anyway at Ravinia in Chicago years back and inside of his first song she rolled over and vomited after finishing her Kentucky Fried dinner. I kid you not. Had to take her home and missed the concert. Probably caused by more than the music but it was all the same to her. All those folks on the grass with candles, wine, food and a woman hoarking on the side moaning I told you not to bring me here.

Gotta love Jerry Jef Walker. Here is a photo of Jerry Jeff and me picking it a few years ago ( like 16 years ago- but who is counting! ) I thought he was in remarkable condition given all the conditions he's been in!

post-12293-13819583537512_thumb.jpg

OK, I'll probably get flamed, but I'll say it.

The number one band on my "makes me hurl list" is ... (wait for it):

The Grateful Dead.

Absolutely cannot stand them (& I lived in San Francisco for 16 years & northern CA for another 20 years). Whenever I recognize one of their "tunes," I immediately kill the radio. I know there are lots of deadheads, but I never got the point of the endless noodling.

James