Which bands make you hurl and why?

oldmako

OK, I'll probably get flamed, but I'll say it.

The number one band on my "makes me hurl list" is ... (wait for it):

The Grateful Dead.

Absolutely cannot stand them (& I lived in San Francisco for 16 years & northern CA for another 20 years). Whenever I recognize one of their "tunes," I immediately kill the radio. I know there are lots of deadheads, but I never got the point of the endless noodling.

James

If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Jerry Garcia once said on a rare Tonight Show?? appearance in 1981 (I remember watching like it was yesterday), “Our audience is like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any Rock from the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s?

Rush, Queen, KISS, AC/DC, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones... Bands that make you hurl? Endless Noodling?

ERROR! ERROR!

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

I think that everyone in that group needs to expand their boundaries and listen to some truly awful, terrible music.

I agree 100% wth skonopa, "brokenCYDE" stands alone on a pedestal of horror. They are almost willfully bad. Anytime I see one of their CDs in a retailer, I'll take the entire stack and hide it behind a row of Mozart or Pavarotti. That way, I can be sure that their target audience will never find them. However, I'm sure that Myspace is more to blame for their proliferation and success.

This thread reads like a classic Beavis & Butthead episode.[:D] One of their worst bands was Grim Reaper, and the videos were far worse than the music. The lead singer looked like a 80's Cabbage Patch Doll.

Saw Jerry Jeff in Austin years and years ago. Wouldn't mind hearing the story behind that picture sometime. Very cool Josh!

I have a picture similar to that. You know, of me and Josh. We weren't playing guitar, though...

PS How does one imbed a link??? I am a stoopit luddite!!!

I typed "Like this."

I highlighted it.

I clicked on the chain link icon right above the box you type in.

A little window pops up. Paste the URL into the "link url" space, then hit "insert."

That's it!

No flaming here at all James. The Dead were always a "You get it or you don't" type band. From a early age I happen to get it and love being a "Deadhead". I do believe that to enjoy the band, one has to have attended their concerts. There is certain ebb and flow to the whole Dead experience that is not for everybody. A fact for which I am very glad as it was always exteremly difficult to get tickets to their show as it was, let alone if there were a couple of million more people trying to see them. I guess the band is a little like Scotch, and aquired taste. A good friend of mine, who happens to be the best guitarest I've ever heard, told me he went to a Dead show and just couldn't understand what all the hubbub was about. So you are not alone in your opinion of the Grateful Dead. In fact, you may be in the majority.

On the other hand, I've built my soundsystem around the couple of thousand of hours of live Grateful Dead music I've collected over the years. Yes, they have played Truckin 1000 times but it has either suttle or major differences each time it is played. The endless noodling is one thing I live for. You either get it or you don't.

Thanks James for stepping out there with your comments.

Jeff

Any band that has two percussionist, explores midi on the guitar, has a large bass player and occasionally uses a horn section gets a go pass in my book. I haven't listened to much of Widespread Panic but as of today I will. The little I have heard sounds pretty darn good.

And you are very correct, it is not a drug thing. The Dead's misic can stand on its own.

Thanks askbob1 for the WSP tip.

jeff

No problem. I always try and spread the good around! You ever do any tape trading? WSP's first dozen or so albums are the best due to the original guitarist before passing a few years ago. After he (Michael Houser) was missing, it was clear that he was a major influence on everything the band did up to that point. They have had a few guitarist since then and continue to press on as usual. Most of their recent albums are pretty good as well. I've seen them about a dozen times since '92. Depending on where you live, they have a very broad touring schedule almost all year long.

Not to detour from discovering and listening to WSP, but you might want to check out and band named moe. Spelled just like that with the period. They are slightly different but still quite the jam band. They put on one hell of a live show.

Both of these bands are what I would call modern day Dead'esque bands. My main staple of tunes.