Which bands make you hurl and why?

oldmako

When I was started to amass my Dead collection, I was hungry to trade tapes. Any and all. After a 1000 hours or so I begin to get particular about quality so trading slowed a bit. Then August 1995 happened and I lost interest in trading and music in general. Couple of years ago I decided to convert my tapes to CD's which is still an ongoing process.I've burned out to TASCAM's in the process but I now use a Teac recordable CD deck. I'm happy with it so far. I've been filling out my Dead collection with music from the Archive web site. Being a fan of live music Archive has expanded my music collection greatly. It has also rekindled my love of music. I'm assuming you've taped into the Archive web site. If not, let me know and I'll guide you throught it. Anyway, I haven't been in the trading mode since 1995.

I will most definately pull up some WSP and moe.

Thanks.

Jeff

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My brother gave me a loaded hard drive about 4 months ago from the website. I still haven't brought it in from the car.

I suppose I still have about 500 or more tapes in the basement. I also lost interest in obtaining live shows many years ago (with the exception of Dick's Picks) after spending so many years collecting, trading, etc. I spent the 70s, 80s and much of the 90s listening to not much else. Now I go on occasional Dead binges but also sometimes go months without listening to any. And no, it has nothing to do with drugs.

After Jerry passed, my musical interest really took a nosedive. But a couple of things have rejuvinated my interest in music. Got back into a couple of bands, Sirrus Radio and the web site Archive.com. I can spend hours listening to the different bands that have posted on Archive. Great stuff.

Take care garymd.

jeff

My brother gave me a loaded hard drive about 4 months ago from the website. I still haven't brought it in from the car.

I suppose I still have about 500 or more tapes in the basement. I also lost interest in obtaining live shows many years ago (with the exception of Dick's Picks) after spending so many years collecting, trading, etc. I spent the 70s, 80s and much of the 90s listening to not much else. Now I go on occasional Dead binges but also sometimes go months without listening to any. And no, it has nothing to do with drugs.

You're right. It's Bobby Goldsboro you need drugs for...

Bobby%20Goldsboro.jpg

I am not a dead fan. However, Mark1101 introduced me to Mickey Hart's other projects. I picked up Rythm Devils Apocalypse Now sessions and they are absolutely incredible. Everything I have heard from him so far has been superbly recorded and produced. I don't like guitar noodling but percussion tangents are what I dig and he is becoming one of my favorite percussionist.

Thanks a lot guys for talking about Archive. I had never heard of it until a few posts ago and now I'm hooked! They have tons of shows from my favorite band of all time (Guster) and loads of other shows from bands I love.

Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up. How could I have gone this long without knowing about that site?!?

Same here, thanks for the heads up on the Archive site! I wasn't aware of it either.

Hey jrod, have you ever seen the performance Guster did with Peter Frampton? It is on a DVD called Best of the Jammy's Vol.1. Top notch performance.

Archive really got me back into the audio mode. It is kind of like having your own music server. My brother turned me on to it a few years back. The first band I downloaded was Guster. Just picked it because I liked the name. Good band. Because of Archive, my CD collection has increased a hundred fold. I think I'm keeping TDK a float with the number of blank CD-R's I've purchased.

BTW, certain bands put restrictions on downloading. Some are just streaming only and cannot easily be downloaded.

jeff

OK in the spirit of the thread I'm chiming in with Frampton makes me hurl as perhaps the most over-rated guitarist ever.

Maybe somewhat oldT![:)] But he does have some great licks, happens to be a super nice guy, and has the Framptone!

OK, I'll probably get flamed, but I'll say it.

The number one band on my "makes me hurl list" is ... (wait for it):

The Grateful Dead.

Absolutely cannot stand them (& I lived in San Francisco for 16 years & northern CA for another 20 years). Whenever I recognize one of their "tunes," I immediately kill the radio. I know there are lots of deadheads, but I never got the point of the endless noodling.

James

LOL! I was reading this whole thread amazed that nobody said this earlier. I love the Grateful Dead, but as a 'head' I KNOW foks hate 'em.

Then again, not everybody reads the New Yorker either

woo

The point of the "endless noodling" is the same as it is (and was) in jazz bands. It's certainly not for everyone, and especially now, in an environment where 3 minutes is the sum-total-norm of a permissable musical thought on corporate radio these days (in addition to other "restrictions").

And much like the New Yorker, neither were intended for "the little old lady who lives in Dubuque", although I'm sure neither would mind if she partook.

My current "music I cannot stand" lies mostly in the corporate manufactured world of music....primarily that stuff they call "country" these days. That genre has become almost as comical as the "hair bands" in the '80's who were also repeatably reproduceable and predictable to the point of becoming a joke. I mean seriousleh, how many "Garth Brooks wannabees" does that industry have?? Dare I say more than the '80's had "David Lee Roth" wannabees: It took Twisted Sister and Guns 'N Roses to kill the hair band genre - I'm assuming at this point that not much short of the collapse of the empire will be required to see the current country genre off into the sunset....

^^ Exactly Nectar. I was watching a PBS program called 'Woodsongs', which I watch regularly. It has been around for years and dials in a lot on the bluegrass genre, but is very likely to have any genre of talent. Anyways, I was watching the other night when the had a group called 'The Lovell Sisters'. Atleast I think that was their name. These young and very talented girls were true musicians and were passioniate in a way about their music to give me great hope in what might be around the next corner in up and coming artists. REAL country/bluegrass roots music that blows away anything country that I've heard since Waylon and Williams. I hardly ever give country a listen! And I have heard so many other great musicians that caught my attention in a similar way that will have a hard time ever reaching the popularity that the Garth Brooks wannabes ever will. The whole time watching, I'm thinking how in the hell are these girls not at the top of the charts with such real talent? I think the one real root problem is simple: people do not venture out to see live music anymore. And they dang sure are not exposing their kids to any 'real' music. Everything is based on simple looks and exposure. Or more, over-exposure! Some of my favorite bands were by way of venturing out to see or hear something new. The type of music that has staying power of years and not top 40 overnight weight...

The whole time watching, I'm thinking how in the hell are these girls not at the top of the charts with such real talent?

I often think the same thing when I am listening to the bands from my chosen genre of music (power and progressive metal). There is one band that I JUST discovered - Silent Lapse that is actually GIVING AWAY thier album, because they want it out there to be heard! As quoted directly from thier website:

We love this album and really believe in it. We don't want a $10 charge
to stand in the way of you hearing an album that we think is one of the
best!

Of course, I went and checked it out, and was really impressed with what I heard! Like you, make me wonder why something like these guys are not at the top of the charts. This stuff blows away anything I've ever heard on the top-40 over the past several years.

I think the one real root problem is simple: people do not venture out to see live music anymore. And they dang sure are not exposing their kids to any 'real' music. Everything is based on simple looks and exposure. Or more, over-exposure! Some of my favorite bands were by way of venturing out to see or hear something new. The type of music that has staying power of years and not top 40 overnight weight...

Exactly! One of my most favorite bands to date - Sonata Arctica, was something I discovered because somebody on another forum dropped me a line about them. I checked out thier albums, and then finally got to see them live. Blew me away! I just friggan love these guys and they are so awesome, both on thier albums as well as live. Thier most recent one, The Days of Grays, is gotta be heard to be believed. In addition, these guys are so humble and just love to hang-out and shoot the breeze, as evidenced just the previous weekend.

LOL! I was reading this whole thread amazed that nobody said this earlier. I love the Grateful Dead, but as a 'head' I KNOW foks hate 'em.

Then again, not everybody reads the New Yorker either

woo

I can realate because I love Sitar music and people hate the Sitar in droves. Not all of it but Ravi Shankar or his daughter with a killer Indian percusion secrtion is amazing.

Woo are you coming to the pilgrimage?