ProMedia 2.1 - No On/Off switch anywhere...

ajl84utah

Hello All -

I purchased the Promedia 2.1 system from best buy a few weeks ago and was immediately impressed. After a couple weeks i noticed a slight buzzing during bass notes in one of the speakers (the one w/the control module) and became nervous so i had them order me a new one to exchange. I Just picked up the new one, set it up, and then wondered where the hell the On/Off switch on the back of the sub went? My unit has no switch anywhere, which is a bit of a turn off for me. I can reach my sub OK but my power strip is tucked behind a desk and not very easily accessible, so its fair to say i don't want to leave these things on all the time, especially with a bright green LED glowing at me when I'm trying to sleep.

I asked the Klipsch tech support about the issue and they said that there were some running changes to the ProMedia 2.1 and that this was the new config. Can someone please explain the rationale for making a system like this without the ability to switch the thing off???

I really love the power and sound i get out of these bad boys, but after reading about all the problems people have had with these and not being able to easily switch them off, its making me consider spending the extra cash for the Bose Companion 3 system?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hey ajl84utah, I'm in the same boat as you.

I bought my (second) set of Klipsch 2.1 Promedia speakers from Best Buy yesterday-- I accidentally blew the first set out within 3 days by plugging / unplugging the system from the electrical outlet each night before turning my computer off. Let's just say that's probably not the "recommended" way to power down these babies.

Oh well, the folks over @ Best Buy were great & didn't give me any hassel at all about exchanging them for a new set.

By the way, I swear that I saw a power switch on the back of the sub on the display unit at one store-- I checked a different store & their floor model didn't have a switch either.

I'm so confused as to why my system doesn't have a power switch at all & whether or not if it's "safe" to keep them on all the time.

All I know is that you should avoid simply unplugging them from the wall each night before going to bed-- that's how I killed my first set before "the new electronics smell" wore out-- ouch!!!

Can someone around here tell us what to do about the new models not having an on / off switch at all? Perhaps a Klipsch engineer can inform us why they deleted that feature altogether-- I'm so confused... [*-)]

Welcome to the forum.

I have owned 2 pair of Promedia 2.1s, one for 5 years and a little over a year.

(I just upgraded the second set to a 5.1 Ultra set).

Anyway, I have always left my Promedia 2.1s on. Period.

I never have had an issue.

Yes... the newest ones have no power switch.

If you decide you want to turn them off, I reccomend a surge protector strip.

(Which is what mine have been connected to for 5; and 1.5 years).....

Good Luck.

Thanks for the response Ironsave. I'm pretty sure that they'll be fine either way. For now, I'm planning on leaving them on & monitoring the speakers for strange noises, heat & other things like that.

I sure am glad to find others here that the newest Promedia 2.1s don't come with a power switch. It's very strange & I've even seen pictures of the back of the wireless 2.1s (sold only via the official Klipsch website) and they look like there is a power switch on the back of those as well.

It' very strange-- but I suppose that the engineers at Klipsch know what they're doing. If not, at least I have a 2 year warranty through Best Buy-- just in case.

I really hope nothing happens to them. They sure sound great!!!

I just got Promedia 5.1 Ultras used for $125. (They stopped making them about 3 years ago; MANY amp issues).

I figuired I would take a gamble.... so far so good. There are fan mods; etc that I am considering implementing in the near future....

My point is, I am pretty sure (for the most part) the 2.1s are solid with relatively few failures compared to the 5.1s. The 2 year BB warranty is nice.

Good Luck and enjoy the tunes. They really are amazing for computer speakers. (A good sound card enhances this immensely)....

[Y]

OK guys, I got a reply from the Klipsch folks themselves, it looks like leaving them on & not worrying about them is just what they had planned all along.

Maybe this information will help others in the future when more people get the newest Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker systems (without On / Off Power Switch).

I'll let you know if any problems occur by having them on all the time...

"Hello

I am sorry to hear about the problem you
are having with your system, however it is safe to leave those on, when they are
not being used they take up less then 1 watt of power. The new technology and
amp system it will not damage that.

When replying to this email, please include
the original message and all replies.

Derek Schultz -Product Support

Phone: 1-800-554-7724 Fax: 1-317-860-9195

Klipsch Group, Inc. Klipsch | Jamo | Mirage
| Energy

3502 Woodview Trace, Indianapolis, IN 46268"

• 10 years later...

I have read a couple of posts regarding exactly the same question. No doubt they sound great! The problem on my end safety wise is the back of the sub gets hot,  even when not using them. Being near the tower they get hot also. Not that the sub is hot enough to start a fire but it's pretty damn hot to leave on 24/7 . Usually on carpet. And also i laughed at the spotlight that the speaker has at night! In my opinion i do think there should be a sleep mode or shut off switch to be safe. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had an older set of these Klipsch Pro Media speakers and the back of the sub most definitely had an ON/OFF switch. Those speakers lasted about 10 years until I (believe) burned up the circuit board inside the sub. I just did without computer speakers for the past 2 years until I finally broke down and purchased a new set of Klipsch Pro Media speakers. I immediately noticed that there was no ON/OFF switch on the back of the sub. I looked over the sub & 2 satellite speakers thoroughly....unable to find a power switch I looked online and stumbled on this post. I can not believe these new sets don't have a power switch. I have never turned my CPU or speakers ON/OFF every single day, but every week or 2 I will shut everything down and turn them off for a day or so....and I shut everything down for sure when I go out of town. I don't understand why they would eliminate a power switch. Does seem odd that these things are supposed to be on 24/7/365 

Edited by SECAuthentics

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Two things ... 1) I have a hard time believing this only uses 1 watt of power when not in use. I simply don't believe it. 2) When left on ... the light on the speaker is so bright I can see it from another room while trying to sleep. It's ridiculous that I have to place tape over the light on a brand new pair of speakers because there is no power switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Standby mode is toggled by pushing the volume knob (carefully) inwards on my brand new set (2021 purchase). It has a micro switch like a mouse button, the LED turns red after about 1.5 seconds and the subwoofer makes a clicking noise (i'm guessing it turns off the main amp and switches the power supply to low power mode maybe).

It boggles my mind that I had to search for this feature in reddit posts, as the manual DOES NOT MENTION THIS at all (neither the online version nor the booklet provided in the box).

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2021 at 5:44 PM, DooMee said:

Standby mode is toggled by pushing the volume knob (carefully) inwards on my brand new set (2021 purchase). It has a micro switch like a mouse button, the LED turns red after about 1.5 seconds and the subwoofer makes a clicking noise (i'm guessing it turns off the main amp and switches the power supply to low power mode maybe).

It boggles my mind that I had to search for this feature in reddit posts, as the manual DOES NOT MENTION THIS at all (neither the online version nor the booklet provided in the box).

Hey DooMee, I too just bought a set this past week. I assume they were manufactured recently, though I can't confirm it. I bought a still-boxed set from a reseller on Craigslist, (so there's a chance they were sitting in his closet for a year). At any rate, he says he purchased them just 2 months ago, so let's assume these are recently manufactured. I was confused by the lack of a power switch, which brought me to this thread. Your comment is the most intriguing, as I also fiddled with the volume knob, trying to push it past the "threshold" when going all the way past "min" volume, hoping for a "click" to kill the power... but no luck. Your comment about the mouseclick-like phenomenon when you push it inward had me jumping off my sofa and giving it a try. Unfortunately, nadda. I wonder if a) I'm doing something different from you, or b) my version just doesn't have this feature. For reference, I'm sitting on a pair of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX computer speakers. Are yours the same?

Thank you,

Gamba

• 6 months later...

Walmart has this ProMedia 2.1 system on Clearance for $64, so I bought one. It is replacing an older Altec Lansing 2.1, which I will hook to my desktop at work. The sound on this system is a definite upgrade with crisper sound and a smoother bass! I, too, wish it had an off / on switch, but that is not deal killer for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I will be getting my very first ProMedia 2.1 THX system delivered this Wednesday and would like to know also if there have been any updates on the no "on-off power switch " issue. I definitely do not want to damage this thing in any way. If it is ok to plug it into a surge protector strip then i will do that, but leaving it on 24\7 does seem a bit radical. Thanks for listening and am looking forward to turning this system on and hearing what it is all about.

A rep got in touch with me and said that it was ok to plug the system into a power\surge protector strip. He says that if there is no activity of sound being used then the unit will automatically go into a standby mode. However, he did not say anything about turning it off when not in use every day but Klipsch does recommend to unplug the system during severe weather and or lightning which makes sense to anyone for that matter. He also states that the unit will only draw no more than 1 amp of current at idle or less. I do have to say that i am extremely impressed with this system and am blown away with the sound quality and loudness that this thing can go without any distortion or loss of clarity. I will definitely recommend this system to anyone who wants a mind blowing immersive experience. It is money well worth spent!

1 minute ago, rickkb02 said:

A rep got in touch with me and said that it was ok to plug the system into a power\surge protector strip. He says that if there is no activity of sound being used then the unit will automatically go into a standby mode. However, he did not say anything about turning it off when not in use every day but Klipsch does recommend to unplug the system during severe weather and or lightning which makes sense to anyone for that matter. He also states that the unit will only draw no more than 1 watt of current at idle or less. I do have to say that i am extremely impressed with this system and am blown away with the sound quality and loudness that this thing can go without any distortion or loss of clarity. I will definitely recommend this system to anyone who wants a mind blowing immersive experience. It is money well worth spent!

6 hours ago, rickkb02 said:

A rep got in touch with me and said that it was ok to plug the system into a power\surge protector strip.

Not necessary.  Read a few posts up and you will see that pushing the volume knob will turn the system off.  I also have one of these systems on a flight sim configuration and that is indeed the standby method.