ProMedia 2.1 - No On/Off switch anywhere...

ajl84utah

On 2/10/2023 at 4:48 PM, rickkb02 said:

What volume knob are you referring to? I am assuming it is the main volume knob. It will not push in at all, but only turns from left to right and vice-versa. This system is the ProMedia 2.1 THX.

Then you have an older ProMedia 2.1 system.  There's no real need to turn them off, however.

• 3 months later...
On 2/16/2023 at 6:44 PM, The History Kid said:

Then you have an older ProMedia 2.1 system.  There's no real need to turn them off, however.

I've had my Promedia's for years but I guess with the newer systems there's a power button somewhere but on mine there's no power button either and i've read customer reviews that lowered their rating due to there being no power button which is silly because Klipsch obviously designed them to be left on 24/7. Having unplugged them a couple of times over the years has resulted in little power surges after plugging them in because there's no power button but that didn't seem to hurt them.

The new Heritage Promedia's turn on automatically via Bluetooth when they're given a signal, in my case opening my laptop

• 5 months later...

I am also in the same mind as others that question the 1 watt standby draw, because my subwoofer is always warm! The carpet under it is also warm! I think I will add a switch somehow. I did find the schematics on another posting, so it shouldn't be too difficult I wish I had a heat gun, but I suspect I would read about 110F on the back of the sub, even without any sound going to it. 

I do wonder if having the sub connected via a 1/8" analog stereo cord causes a load and my system is actually not ever going into Standby?

• 2 months later...

This thread has two different specs for the unit's power draw when idle. One says 1 watt and another says 1 amp(ere) - two very different things. Based on the heat that it's putting out, I'd guess it's closer to the 1 amp which would be about 110 watts. Where I live, it probably costs about $0.40 a day in electricity to keep it powered on 24/7. 

I just got a refurbished set directly from Klipsch. It's the model without a power switch on the subwoofer and the volume on the satellite speaker does not function as a power switch. It doesn't seem like it automatically goes into standby when it hasn't received a signal for a while. The amplifier plate was warm to the touch when I got into the office this morning.

I like the sound from these little speakers, but as a greenie I wish they were easier to power off when not in use. That said it's not that hard to unplug or use a a switched power strip.

• 2 months later...

My switch solution:  Cordinate Designer On/Off Switch Plug, 6 Ft Braided Power Cord, 3 Prong, Slip Resistant Base, purchased from Amazon for $13.

The switch assembly consists of: plug, cord and switch. The plug is standard 3-prong, and can be inserted into a wall outlet or power strip. It has some built-in electronics and an outlet for plugging in the device to be switched on/off. The 6 foot cord carries low voltage to a small weighted disc containing a micro switch. The disc can sit on your desk or table, or even be wall mounted. The micro switch triggers a relay in the plug that supplies power to whatever is plugged into it. The switch assembly is rated at 125VAC/8A/1000W/60Hz.

• Like 1