Curious about an amp

mbr311

So I'm sorry I'm a noob when it comes to this but I'm always hearing people talking about amps. Would this be something (down the road) that would be a good investment to drive my mains and keep my center, sub and surrounds on the Yamaha? It has 220wattsx2 so it would be able to handle a speaker upgrade as well. Now mind you I don't plan on buying this in the near future but just curious if I am on the right plane of thinking here.

Behringer A500

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-A500-Reference-Studio-Amplifier/dp/B000CZ0RL0

Thanks fellas!

Mark

So this would make my sub THUMP but you dont obviously like it for handling my mains? Do you have a specific QSC amp that you are referring to? I am gonna do some searching but you sound like you know what you're talking about so you could probably cut my research time in half if you have a specific amp you are referring to. Now remember, my mains only handle 125 watts so it's not like I'd need to go spending an arm and a leg here down the road (at least I don't think I'd have to). Just something that would make my mains "shine" and bring out the best in them is what I'd eventually want to buy I think. Might end up being a better investment than dropping a ton of money on the mains is kind of my theory I guess. If I'm satisfied now with a receiver that's putting out 90watts per channel..and from what I've heard its probably not even 90 watts....well you get where I'm going with this? Thanks!!!!

Edit: I mean I'm looking at the QSC RMX1850HD and it's got 360W per channel @ 8 ohms, 600W/channel @ 4 ohms, 900W/channel @ 2 ohms,
1150W bridged mono @ 8 ohms and 1800W bridged mono @ 4 ohms. Isn't that kind of overkill for what I have? Sorry I am such a noob lol

the A500 will not make your sub thum but many people are using the EP2500 from Behringer or the EP4000 (rebadged EP2500) from Beri as well this will shake your sub :-) .

The A500 is a rip off ALESIS 500 that is a ''studio amplifier'' convection cooled no fan noise. Many people are using them full range they are not bad ( i do not like Berhinger this is a moral issue for me about ripping off other's design) Most pro amp are fan cooled and can be noisy, if you do a search on google you will find tons of threads about swapping the fan with a quiet one on the EP2500 that is a rip off (reversed engineered aka Chineese blue print) of the QSC RMX2450. Thing to keep in mind going from 90 watts to 200 watts will not do much for you this is only about 3.1db louder, To be twice louder you need 10 times the wattage.

Edit: The A500 is rated 125 watts a side @ 8 ohms @ 1khz so this about 100 watts a side 20-20khz, got to love those false advertise of burst peak to peak power [+o(]

The QSC PLX series seems to be what people prefer that use them for a full-range audio signal rather than as a subwoofer amp.

The PLX's are incredibly smooth powerful amps that work great for full range speakers. The 2 downsides are the fans, which can be easily changed out and the price. QSC also makes a GX series. I've got a GX3 running a pair of KP250's (Professional Heresy's) and I really like the sound of the combo, The're much more affordable than the PLX's.

The QSC PLX series seems to be what people prefer that use them for a full-range audio signal rather than as a subwoofer amp.

The PLX's are incredibly smooth powerful amps that work great for full range speakers. The 2 downsides are the fans, which can be easily changed out and the price. QSC also makes a GX series. I've got a GX3 running a pair of KP250's (Professional Heresy's) and I really like the sound of the combo, The're much more affordable than the PLX's.

Interesting, I did a quick price check and on amazon.com you can get that gx3 for $277.99. And you think that would be sufficient to manage my mains (125 watts)? I have to assume so since you are using it to run your Professional Hersey's and those have got to be better than my measely RB-35s. Like I said this is for research purposes so I know what to do down the road and instead of dropping $800 on new mains I thought why not look into maximizing what I already have? Does that make sense? I would presume this would make my mains sound much crisper for lack of a better term and allow me to use them at their full potential and then my Yamaha could deal with the CC, surrounds and sub? Thanks guys you are so helpful!

Mark

A GX3 will drive your mains without breaking a sweat. You WILL need to swap the fan out, but that's no biggie. Worst case scenario, you can always sell it if you don't like it and not be out much cash. A seperate amp normally really wakes up your mains. I'm assuming you have pre-outs on your receiver?

A GX3 will drive your mains without breaking a sweat. You WILL need to swap the fan out, but that's no biggie. Worst case scenario, you can always sell it if you don't like it and not be out much cash. A seperate amp normally really wakes up your mains. I'm assuming you have pre-outs on your receiver?

It says in the specs " the RX-V665 also has a set of preamp outputs for multi-zone operation." Is that what you are referring to? It also says that "you can still run an additional 2-channel system in another room by
using the Zone 2 preamp outputs. However, you will have to add a
secondary amplifier to power the speakers in Zone 2."

Wicked thanks for confirming. I only had the receiver a few days before I was back in the hospital so I really haven't had time to study the booklet and all the ins and outs of the unit. So that's good to know. As I said, it's not something I'm planning on doing right away or maybe anytime soon but it's good to know that I can upgrade the quality of my speakers - or should I say maximize the abilities of my speakers - and spend a lot less doing so than I had originally thought by buying an amp and not an entire new set of speakers. Thanks when the time comes to buy one you know I'm gonna be asking a ton of questions [;)]