Let's reglue a KG 5.5 motorboard

Hi there,

I just bought the flagship of the KG series for my brother.

When auditioning them in the seller's garage, one tower had a rattle when good bass was present. The motorboard (right side) had come loose from the cabinet. I strongly believe if there is a partial glue joint fail, better take the whole thing off and reglue.

Here's the rattler himself. the thin yellow line shows where the seperation is. I could start to open the motorboard like a door, hinged on the left side.

post-34666-13819583419774_thumb.jpg

Here's where the step by step kind of skips to the end. I got so excited while doing this I forgot to take some pictures of the gluing.

Here is the motorboard glued and clamped using Gorilla Glue. I've built quite a few boxes, and like its expanding quality as it cures.

post-34666-13819583423604_thumb.jpg

Here's another angle. I should be using more clamps, but we're hoping to move into a larger house and most of my shop stuff is in storage.

That's why this work is being done in our living room. [:$]

I'm getting this done quick before another house showing later this afternoon.

Well that's the repair! I have to wait a couple hours for the glue to cure, then the clamps will come off. Components will go back in, then I can try it out.

post-34666-13819583425884_thumb.jpg

CECAA850,

I made it without any drips, but yeah I probably should have used a drop cloth. So excited while repairing, it didn't occur to me.

Iron,

If my brother passes on them, for whatever reason, I'll contact you. Sound good? Don't hold your breath - it may be many months before he comes home.

Iron,

If my brother passes on them, for whatever reason, I'll contact you. Sound good? Don't hold your breath - it may be many months before he comes home.

Nuggets;

That sounds great. I will not hold my breath; but if he decides to pass; I appreciate your consideration.....

[Y]

Ironsave, an update already:

My bro and I have been emailing, and he's visiting Madison the middle of this month. If he and I have time the KG 5.5s will be auditioned, and he'll give his feedback. He doesn't know about them yet. I plan to bring him over to his storage space (where I put them), and say something like,"Where the hell did these come from?!?".

Nuggets;

Sounds great! No pressure from my end...... I hope he is floored and loves them and the thoughtfulness behind it!

If not.... we can discuss plan B..... (I am sure he will appreciate the thought regardless!).

Let me know how he likes them! (I am giddy; cuz I know he will be surprised!!!!).

[Y]

.......shut up give money load speakers drive away fast.

Haha, that's the spirit!

When I bought these we talked price and he knew they could go for more, but just wanted them gone earlier than later. I didn't haggle with him because of the cabinet rattle....didn't want to jinx the situation. He was a very cool guy, and we talked for about 1/2 hour after they were loaded in my car.

This is my 2nd pair. Sold the 1st set and always thought boy I should have kept those. They are a very good speaker for the layout of cash. I think the stock tweeter is a little bright but some have replaced the stock x-over and tweeter with Crites parts and it is supposed to help. To me they sound similar to the RF7's that I owned.