Is Best Buy good for anything?

RichardP

Not a cynical question: In my medium-sized town (50K), we are getting a Best Buy, which is still under construction, having taken over space of now-defunct Linens and Things. . What do forum members get there, and are they useful for anything over other stores? Just thinking in advance of actually going there.[;)]

What do forum members get there, and are they useful for anything over other stores?

I buy Home Theater HDMI & RCA cables there sometimes (but they don't have XLR cables [8-)]). The flat screen TV section is pretty good. Speakers aren't. Cameras are okay - especially point-and-shoot types, but they have DSLRs there (not lowest price, though). I go there looking for computer monitors, but the last time I went wasn't very good. We got a "Rock Band" setup at Best Buy, but don't expect any esoteric add-ons. The GPS receiver display was okay - bought one there. Printers are usually cheaper at Fry's (we have one of those near by and I go there more often than Best Buy).

Much of what I used to buy at Best Buy I no longer do buy there - CDs/DVDs. Amazon is the clear winner for me (or Netflix if I'm in a try-to-buy mood).

Chris

Short answer- NO They suck. Only possible positive- The misprice stuff because they are stupid- Got a 1200 dryer for 550- mispriced

They discontinued Klipsch if that tells you anything. They look far and wide to find stupid employees. No offense to anyone here.

They should move all the stores to Mexico so they could partner with JBL.

Circuit City lite.

What size BB are you getting? They have diff sizes according to market with corresponding diff configurations and product lines.

I'm wondering what will go in ours once the chain goes the way of Circuit Pity. The plaza it's in is fairly nice, and I hope it will not go down hill after BB winks out.

As I mentioned before, we go there if we know they have merch we are interested in, we fondle the merch, then we run home and find best price on web. I think the last things we bought there were monitor & equipment stands. In BB's defense, one of the stands was so defective it could not be assembled, so they told us to throw it away and they sent us another.

The last time I was in a BB was the store in Kenner, LA next to N.O. airport, killing time until a buddy flew in. I really wanted to hear the Martin-Logans in the listening room but there were no employees even close by some of their most valuable merch. In all traditional brick & motor stores, it was rare you got in to the high end listening room without an employee, much less come & go as you please.

Funny you ask this question today. I stopped in one of the local BB to purchase Cd's today. If I catch the sales paper and see a new cd coming out I try to pick it up that first week since it's always $3 to $4 cheaper, movies also. They have a lot of older Cd's for $7.99 each, can't beat that, trying to get all the Cd's of certain people that I like and that price helps out. Also good to check out are the "open box" items, tv included as then can be $50 to over $100 off.

As others have also said, a good place to go and look at the items then go home and pick up on-line for a cheaper price.

James

Like most stores, they will kill you on prices for accessories. I bought a small printer for my younger son when he went away to school. The printer price wasn't too high, since I didn't have to pay shipping, but their cheapest usb cable at the time was around $15. I drove accrossthe street to Wally World and got one for $5.

It's the ingorance that bothers me the most. Managers don't really know the product or how to treat customers, so they in turn can't train other employees.

They do provide a good source for viewing/comparing TV brands. If you purchase one make sure there are no forklift holes in the box. And stay away from the long term warrantees which they will bombard you with about ten times before you leave the store. And do not purchase cables from them.

JJK

I take it your town must be well stocked with linens and things?

Well, we aren't now.

In response to the other posts, it is as I suspected. Like most of us, I am well equipped in the HT department, so no major purchases planned. My RPTV can only handle 1080i, so I probably won't get a Blue Ray player until I get a new TV.

I can see it now: in a year, my town will be rife with $50 Monster HDMI cables and other such nonsense.

Thanks for the posts.

They are OK if you know what you want and how much it costs before you go in. I never pay shelf price. I insist on a 10% discount at least if buying anything over $100 such as the new monitor I bought for my PC ($240). They balk and argue but insist to have them ask a manager. If they won't give the discount or tell me to get someone elses price so they can match it, I walk out empty handed and spend my money at a store with better prices. They are good with returns for defective product also. Not as good as Costco or Sams but OK for a chain electronics store.

We've had a Best Buy here for years. I used to buy from them all the time but don't anymore. I did buy my previous HDTV from them though about 3 years ago. I helped a friend buy an HDTV from them last year too.

I usually pick up a few Blu-Rays that go on sale cheap around the holidays and a miscellaneous CD or video game here and there.

I like to look around best buy every few months, they are great to have around. I am glad there are alot of consumers out there majorly overpaying for stuff (accessories) so i can compare various products. Went in there today to see if they discounted any klipsch speakers, unfortunately they didnt as far as i could see but there was an ISF calibrater in their, it was interesting to see him at work.