Copying, ripping music CD's

greg928gts

I've got a couple of CD's that I'd like to make copies of. I went through the process of ripping the CD using Windows Media Player, set to the highest quality, lossless format. I then burned a new CD using Windows Media Player. Everything went fine, but when I took the CD into my living room and put it on my system, the sound quality wasn't nearly as good as the original CD.

Is what I experienced normal? Is there an easy way to copy a CD and get the same sound quality as the original?

Greg

greg, you will probably get a lot of input on this from some forum members (dave I think is the resident expert). I have not ripped cds in a long time...I can suggest that a lot of people on this forum use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) as a ripper and I would recommend using a quality disc...not the free after rebate ones at office depot...I have had great luck with Verbatim....I think some people only use ones made in japan..maybe picky, may be worth while. Since I don't have or even pretend to have ears like many of you have, I would thow out suggestions such as, use a quality disc...don't rip or record at the max speed or use any error compensation. I am a computer vguy...I know digital = digital on a copy....the only other variables are media, software and speed (which may tie into error compensation when you are trying to throw out a disc in 2 minutes) ACE

greg, you will probably get a lot of input on this from some forum members (dave I think is the resident expert). I have not ripped cds in a long time...I can suggest that a lot of people on this forum use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) as a ripper and I would recommend using a quality disc...not the free after rebate ones at office depot...I have had great luck with Verbatim....I think some people only use ones made in japan..maybe picky, may be worth while. Since I don't have or even pretend to have ears like many of you have, I would thow out suggestions such as, use a quality disc...don't rip or record at the max speed or use any error compensation. I am a computer vguy...I know digital = digital on a copy....the only other variables are media, software and speed (which may tie into error compensation when you are trying to throw out a disc in 2 minutes) ACE

Thanks ACE. I chose the best format I could to rip. I wasn't given a choice ofr format or quality level when burning.

I used a FujiFilm CD-R 700MB.

Greg

I gave up on perfection in copies a long time ago...I know there is are way better options out there now than when I was in my music copying frenzy, I don't pretend to be an expert on them...for me digital music is an easy way to spread music from point a to point b, I have a touch screen jukebox with about 45,000 songs on it...quality is not my main concern...having any song people want is. When I want to listen to good music, I have vinyl and cds for that...the copies are for convienence. Like I said...some more people will let you know the better ways to get the most out of your copies...what I recommended is just what I recall hearing from them in random reading and a hint or two of personal experience.

I use the very simple Sonic software which came with my laptop to make an exact copy of music, operating systems, applications, and data CD's.

To my way of thinking: The copies of everything other than music CDs work perfectly and therefore no data is missing. Therefore, there is no data missing from the music CD's either. I suppose I should find a way of determining whether the data files are exactly of the same size -- that should prove pretty much whether the data are exact copies

Wm McD

If you are just copying, that is what you need to is just copy the disk. You don't need to rip it at all. What software are you using?

Bruce

I used Windows Media Player, Windows 7. I only have one DVD/CD drive in my computer, so wouldn't I have to rip the CD then put a new CD in to copy to it?

What I have is a CD that a long lost friend sent me, that he had someone make by transferring from a tape cassette to CD. The content of this CD is music from a garage band that I was involved with when I was seventeen years old, and I mixed down a bunch of demo tracks for them. Really crude equipment back then, but we still managed to get a decent sound on tape. I had forgotten about this until this CD showed up in the mail. I'm supposed to send the CD back to him, so I'd like to make a copy to keep for myself. The first trasfer from tape to CD probably dropped the sound quality once, I hate to do it again on this copy.

Greg

You do not need to rip it because you only have one cd rom,

what gonna happen is the program will copy it for you on the hard drive(temp image) then pop out your drive

insert blank and burn i the process should be transparent.

When i was using windose i was using feurio with great sucess.

I've got a couple of CD's that I'd like to make copies of. I went through the process of ripping the CD using Windows Media Player, set to the highest quality, lossless format. I then burned a new CD using Windows Media Player. Everything went fine, but when I took the CD into my living room and put it on my system, the sound quality wasn't nearly as good as the original CD.

Is what I experienced normal? Is there an easy way to copy a CD and get the same sound quality as the original?

Greg

Greg, WMP doesn't allow direct copy. What you did is the only way you can do it using WMP. You need software that will allow direct copy. I use Nero simply because it came with the computer but there are lots of good programs available at a good price.

Frank

You do not need to rip it because you only have one cd rom,

what gonna happen is the program will copy it for you on the hard drive(temp image) then pop out your drive

insert blank and burn i the process should be transparent.

When i was using windose i was using feurio with great sucess.

That is the exact process. The program will see that you only have one CD burner and process from there.

I use Nero for exact copies, works great every time. I believe they have a free lite version if you want to try it out.

James

I went through the process of ripping the CD using Windows Media Player, set to the highest quality, lossless format. I then burned a new CD using Windows Media Player.

Just an afterthought: are you sure you chose WAV (lossless format)? Your comment "set to highest quality" leads me to think you used mp3 format. Check to make sure you have chosen the WAV setting under the Rip button.

Frank

"Ripping" is for making compressed MP3 or WAV files, typically using Windows Media Viewer. "Copying" with no compression or added artifacts needs something like Nero. As another poster mentioned about his computer, it was bundled with mine, so I haven't tried any other programs. It seems to make good copies.

How about for Macs?

Fini, I love Rip for ripping and Max for converting; both are at sbooth.org. I like to set Rip to use iTunes as the metadata provider, then extract to a single .wav with a .cue file. Then, open the .cue file in Max and convert to Apple Lossless. If you set up Max right, it will create a playlist in iTiunes named for the album, and then it will drop your .m4a files into the playlist. It's really slick.