Comparison of the RC-7 and RC-64. Probably covered before

Fast1

My system is listed below. Obviously I need a better matching center. I have been searching for an RC-7 so long that the RC-64 is more common now. Seems I can get the 64 in near the same price range. Just curious if anyone has done an A B comparison of the two to determine differences of the two? Just wondering how they compare.

Thanks. I had planned to mod the 7 anyway so that might make the 64 a better value because I would end up buying the 7 and spending about 200 on it with all the components.

I am curious what makes the 64 "difference" in sound? Are they brighter, more laid back, more bass, etc? I would love to hear an A B comparison but will have to settle with views from others.

Thanks

I am curious what makes the 64 "difference" in sound? Are they brighter, more laid back, more bass, etc? I would love to hear an A B comparison but will have to settle with views from others.

The 7's were supposedly harsher than the 64's and the crossover mod addressed that.

I cannot help but think there would be performance or tonal differences with the quad 6.5s as opposed to the twin 8s. I run my system in 5ch quite a bit and like to push on them a bit. I have found that smaller cones tend to not have much head room or extension. I realize a center's job is to be accurate for dialog, etc and that is my primary goal here.

From what I have gather so far, it seems like trying to "pick the fly shit out of the pepper" on major tonal differences. The 64 certainly gets points for looking aggressive...

I have found that smaller cones tend to not have much head room or extension.

That's why the 64's total cone area is larger than the 7's. Approx 132 sq. in. of cone area for the 64's and 100 sq. in. of cone area for the 7. More cone area needs less movement for the same output. There's more that goes in it than that but you get my point.

I like the pepper analogy also.

There are fundamental design differences between the RC-7 and the RC-64. The 7 is a vented box design intended to be used above your video display. The 64 is a sealed design intended to be used below your display. The sealed design eliminates echos from your cabinet and the smaller woofers fit in a narrower but longer shelf. The 64 does not go quite as low as the 7, but works well with the crossover in your processor.

Both speakers need to be angled up or down at the ear level of the listener to get a seamless front sound stage.

The down side to the 64 is that you may later want to upgrade to RF-83s. With room correction processors that are properly run, both speakers will work well. Make your pick based upon whether it will go above or below the display is my advice. I have owned both systems.

Bill

I think the biggest difference as McGoo stated is the 7 is vented and 64 is sealed. I have not heard the 64 so I cannot comment on how it sounds, the 7 without mods is one heck of a speaker and really sound good when pushed in 5ch or in mono. If added bass response is something your looking for vented is hard to beat.

I'd love to hear an 83 and 64 combo so that I could see what people are talking about as far as being more laid back. I love the sound of my unmodded 7 system, and I have hardwood floors.

There are fundamental design differences between the RC-7 and the RC-64. The 7 is a vented box design intended to be used above your video display. The 64 is a sealed design intended to be used below your display. The sealed design eliminates echos from your cabinet and the smaller woofers fit in a narrower but longer shelf. The 64 does not go quite as low as the 7, but works well with the crossover in your processor.

Both speakers need to be angled up or down at the ear level of the listener to get a seamless front sound stage.

The down side to the 64 is that you may later want to upgrade to RF-83s. With room correction processors that are properly run, both speakers will work well. Make your pick based upon whether it will go above or below the display is my advice. I have owned both systems.

Bill

Not so much above or below the display, more inside or outside a cabinet. The rear port could be a problem inside some enclosed cabinets where the RC-64 has no port to be concerned with. I have my RC-7 below my display and prefer it this way.

Placement above or below will be greatly affected by the complete system and rooms setup. As to above or below the display it is usually best to try to keep the speakers as much in line as possible and keep voices to seem to come from the actors on screen and effects to move smoothly between front and center speakers.

Both the RC-7 and RC-64 are excellent speakers, I would keep them matched with the fronts, RC-7 with your RF-7's and RC-64 with RF-83's/63's

The RC-7 has two threaded internal bolts at the rear to allow legs to be added to raise the rear of the RC-7 to aim it at the ears of the listener. The RC-64 has a single bolt toward the front to use a leg to raise the front to aim it at the listenrs ears.

An owner can always find other ways to aim the speaker, but most folks do not want to bother to reinvent the wheel. These two speakers are about the transition from RPTVs to flat panel TVs. Both are good speakers, but I'd give the edge to the RC-64. However, dialog is better from above than below even if the speakers are well aimed.

The RC-64 is a better match to the RF-83 and 63 series. It did well with the RF-7s, but the four RF-63s disappear better with the RC-64 than the Rf-7s could.

Bill

Thanks for the input guys. Keep in mind as McGoo pointed out, I modded my 7s wtih the Dean mod. I think I used theta caps IIRC. They really seemed to lay down better. They seemed harsh to me before. The 7s will straight get busy with my RB1090 on them... 380wpc keeps there very controlled at high volume.

Sounds like both speakers are very close. I think anything would be better than my RC3...

Both the RC-7 and RC-64 are much better than the RC-3. The center channel is over used by the mixers so it is by far the most important speaker. Seamless pans across the front are also important.

The RF-7s that I used the RC-64 with were modded. The 7s had more presence than my RF-63 array, but the 63s have a better attack are more neutral and are more seamless.

Bill