Interconnects

lucky5115

I picked up a pair of AQ Columbia DBS interconnects to go with my Corns and MC2505. They sound really good. Here's a review I found that kinda sums it up. I too auditioned the Diamondbacks and King Cobras; then settled on Columbia.

So here it is:

I have been reviewing the new Audioquest audio interconnects from Diamondback, King Cobra, Columbia, Colorado, Sky and Golden Reference from Cardas the last 14 days. Started out with Diamondback and was very impressed. The soundstage was open, big, clear, detailed and very dynamic. Just like I like it!
Continuing to King Cobra It just got better. I started wondering how that could be. There were something supernatural in that such a good cable like the Diamondback could be improved on...
Furthering my Audioquest review sessions with the Columbia I fly in orbit! It was more than I could believe. The phrase: "I couldn't believe my own ears" filled the bill. I was not that impressed by the Colorado, Sky and Golden Reference...
How could that be? Ahhh, he has not got the money for the the 3 big ones...
No no, Actually for ones in my life, I do have the money- But I have been involved with HiFi much too many years to be fooled by the glamour.
So I sat down in the hot spot with my precious equipment and started the lengthy A-B testing. To my big surprise the 3 top notch didn't make it...

Columbia Has got several traits to offer.

1.The ability to display reverbs and echos in the soundstage is incredibly. For me that is very
important because A.it gives you a very realistic view into the soundspace and B.the hithero displayed "hard sound" from other cables, like some Tara Labs, were just reverbs and echos lost in translation...
The 3 other cables look alike in that area, they were not at all bad, nearly as good as the Colombia, but not quite there.

2.Unbelieveable transient strengths. I have yet to hear a more realistic sounding, fullbodied, nuanced, colourfull and "fleshlike" transient virtuoe than this cable has to offer. In fact it was so powerfull that I had to turn the volumen 10-20% down on most records to arrive at the same total output the other cables had to offer. Turning down the volumen willingly! - It opens up a hole new world for me. The very detailed, living, subtle nuances and quiet play in the deep space of a grand orchestra makes the feeling of being there so much... more...
Colorado had much of the same, just lesser.
Sky had a better low end, firmer and just as deep. The treble was very detailed and dry! Very much to dry. It was like the Columbias transients were made of beautyfull colours and the Sky of just black & whites.
And the Sky's midrange is awfull! Pardon me, but it is. It is dry, lean - totally missing upper bass and lacks attack throughout. I really can't see how anyone can like that.
The Golden Reference had quick, beautyfull transients with enough colour, but lacked the body, upper bass and glance of the Columbia.

3.Compared to Colorado, Sky and the Golden Reference the Columbia is more quiet and calm. That is another speciality about the C. I cannot live without to day. It introduced a deep calm and quietness to the music I never thought possibly. It is by the way essential to the above mentioned virtuoes. Without this "black" calm thing, none of the beforementioned trades would be that outstanding and amasing.
The G.R. Sounded more like a "normal" average cable in that area. Sadly, because of its many virtuoes not being displayed then.
The Colorado and Sky had an irritating subtle unease in their presentation. Maybe the high Voltage(72 v) has something to do with that? Maybe it is to much? Who knows, maybe a matter for Audioquest to explore?

4.Neutrality pops up in my mind from now and then. The Golden Reference is also good at that, except for the upper bass which is too bloomy and blurred - something not so good for male voices and organ reverbs...It sounds a bit leaner in the lower midrange compared to the Columbia. G.R. Is also a little more foregiving and laidback. It reminds me of a power amp. Situation many years ago, where I was to chose between some big Mark Levinson no. Something and a Krell KSA 80. The ML. sounded musical and beautyfull on all records - The Krell sounded like the record... It was a magnificient power amp. - the Krell.
Golden Ref. Has a bit of that ML. effect. Painting the soundstage with the same musicality everytime, regardless of the source...
Colorado sounds the same as the Columbia regarding neutrality, but is more uneven across the freq. Range.
Sky has a ref. Bass a hopeless midrange and too much plingelíng treble though very refined, who cares about neutrality then?

5.It is Very involving.
The Golden Ref. Again not the same amount of involvement...I get drawn into the music with the Columbia. Want to hear the next piece of music and gets to bed way to late in the morning again...when do I ever learn. With the G.R. My thoughts went of wondering what to do the next day, shopping etc. My interest in the music was therefore lacking.
The 2 other big ones virtues distracted me too much to ever svim in the Ocean of Sound, I didn't even get my swimsuit on.

As the above mini review will tell you, I am indeed in love with the Columbia, combining Tara Labs clean, direct and involving sound with the Golden References nuances and the rest is Columbias all alone.

yes, cables make a difference. My 2 cents anyhoo.. I would by used from someone thats reputable and Not the Hong Kong junk. For the money; the Kings are really sweet. Columbias opened it up. Never tried the upper DBS tiers, but there has to be a law of diminishing return -vs- cost. So I'm gonna stick with the C's.

Ronnie

fullbodied, nuanced, colourfull and "fleshlike"

It opens up a hole new world for me. The very detailed, living, subtle nuances

Sky had a better low end, firmer and just as deep. The treble was very detailed and dry! Very much to dry

The Colorado and Sky had an irritating subtle unease in their presentation

Pardon me, but it is. It is dry, lean

Neutrality pops up in my mind from now and then

Is this a cable review or a wine tasting review?

In either case, about the biggest load of [bs] that I've heard in a while. [:^)]

Lol, I'm just the messenger.

ronnie.

Good Man! Frankly, your tender number of posts made me fear you might take offense to the rather straight talk around here amongst us audiophools. Welcome to the Forum! Methinks you'll do fine and be well worth reading.

BTW-I hear a REAL difference in 100% copper, and always insist on it.

Dave