Stromberg Carlson tube amp.

Hi guys, I just bought an SC SP-902M console radio at an estate sale. It has the ASR-333 amp (which works fine) along with a very good tuner and a turntable. I planned on gutting it and using the mahogany cabinet as a "pretty" subwoofer shell. It has 2 LK-480 speakers (8" woofer and 3" cone tweeter) in a cork cabinet. Looks like old particle board but it is light weight and appears to be cork!!! I'll post photos later.

Anyone have any experience with this amp? I think it is around 16 watts. Has an A and B channel and has RCA tape deck inputs which accept a cd player and sound good. The highs need to be a little brighter (may new caps ???). Anyone have an idea what the amp is worth? Thanks.

It's hard to put a value on amps like this, but if it sounds nice, why not keep it? But, if you keep it, it should absolutely have a total restoration- i.e. replacement of all electrolytic caps, all paper/ceramic caps, all out of spec resistors. Amps like this are capable of very nice sound and make great companions for Klipsch speakers. Can you post a large picture of the underside of the chassis? That may be useful in determining if anyone has worked on it in the past.

There'sa 433 restoration project on the tube audio group over at AudioKarma right now.

I myself have been looking for a 333/433/444 for some time. I wound up with a ChannelMaster 6601 that I'm just beginning to restore now.

Check this site for info, schematics, the SAMS folders, etc: http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/MadeInRoch.html

If the files are in DejaVu format, I recommend Irfanview and its' plugins... by far the best image file viewer IMHO.

STROMBERGCARLSONASR-333AMP002.jpgThanks for the responses guys. I'm considering putting the console back together after I complete the cabinet refinish and putting it in my office. I have some horn mids and tweets with 2 10" woofers in the office so 16 watts should be enough. Powering them with a Sansui AU-101 integrated amp now and it's more than enough at 12 wpc.

I've tried to post some photos but not sure they will show up. The amp has a bottom cover on it so I haven't explored inside yet. Have seen some on ebay for around $150 or more. I do have the SR-445 tuner with the amp which has great reception.

BTW what the best source for the parts listed above to replace? Thanks

STROMBERGCARLSONASR-333AMP011.jpg

STROMBERGCARLSONASR-333AMP011.jpgSTROMBERGCARLSONASR-333AMP002.jpg

Do you have experience working on this type of electronics? If not, I urge you to refer to a qualified service technician. Testing this unit will expose you to potentially lethal voltages; and if the components are not replaced properly, a hazardous condition could result as well as an improperly working unit.

Thanks TF. I don't have any experience on this type redo. I just listed it on ebay so I'm going to sell it and the tuner and not mess with it. I have some other amps from RCA, Magnavox, and Zenith that I removed from other vintage cabinets that I'll probably list as well. I am more interested in the cabinets usually. I gut them and install a powered sub in the cabinet shells. Here's a pic of a couple I've done recently.

001-1.jpg

magnificientmagnavox007.jpg

Well, I'm sure you will have no problem getting a decent price for the amps on Ebay. Did you consider listing them also in the Garage Sale section of the forum? I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be interested in those amplifiers. Your cabinet work looks great! Do you run into any problems with the cabinets resonating from having all of that low frequency energy in there?

Thanks for the compliment TF. No problems with the cabinet pull handles or shell vibrating. I usually lined the cabinet with 3/8 to 3/4" mdf and then install some tool drawer foam liner on the bottom to help deaden the vibration. I usually don't physically connect or anchor the sub box to the cabinet shell. I've got several of these vintage subs completed in the ole garage and my wife would like me to move (sell) them. Cherry, lacewood, ribbon mahogany veneers look great. The old cabinet makers used great lumber core veneers that still look great. The one I posted has a to lid that opens, the top fornt opens and the two lower doors open to show the sub.

Hey post some pics : )

Ebay is a good way to judge the market.

eBay "Advanced Search" "Completed Listings" will give the last 90 days of closed auctions, altho you can search only by auction title (can't search the body.)

Thanks JT. I checked that and found a few similar SC amps that were in the $160.00 range as I recall. I saw the same tuner sold for $145.00. I've got it listed on ebay as well. The tuner has a unique tuning meter - two "lights" converge from the top and bottom and meet in the middle to show the best tuning position. Pretty neat. Those tubes produce some heat!!