My vintage Pioneer SX-780 pics

Yura

This is my latest addition to the vintage (70s) set which now consists of
the three AM/FM receivers with integrated AMPs .

Pioneer SX-780 is rated at 45w per channel, but as well known - old watts
were much healthier than the ones in the new electronics. So it has no problem
pushing my speakers. I can't really turn the volume knob past about 25% as I
still need my hearing. The FM reception is excellent and locks in into stereo
signal easily.

One fun feature of the unit is the power meters for the speakers - i can
spend a lot of time just watching the needles jump. One can also get visual
confirmation of music playing in stereo as they start moving just slightly
different.

The unit is quite unmolested and had power packs upgraded, all lamps
checked, all knobs cleaned, all contacts cleaned. While I love the "blue
face" look of the older Pioneers and Marantz units, there is something
very appealing about the simple lighting in this Pioneer and all silver face.

If you open it up (or even lift it up) you will quickly understand that it's
not a miracle that vintage gear works for a long time. Equipment made back in
the day is really solid. Most of it is slightly to seriously overbuilt. It's
all real steel, aluminum, wood, well space components and attention to design
and detail.

At first I've got the "good sound" bug. Then it was the Klipsch bug and now it is retro receivers and AMPs. Oh boy....

DSC05464.jpg

DSC05478.jpg

She's a Beauty Yura! [<:o)]

And your right, it does look good with the soft white lights and it is always fun to watch the power meters! [:P]

Very nice, thanks for posting the Pictures!!

Dennie

"This is my latest addition to the vintage (70s)" Yura, I can defiantly relate. A few years ago when a man could still often find vintage SX & other assorted "Works of Art" at reasonable prices I had a thrill playing with all the great old receivers. Finally one day I looked around the room & I said what in the ----- or you doing...it looks like some strange hoarder lives here with receivers stacked up all around the room. So I belled out of the collection & dedicated my self to having one exceptional system that I could be happy with ( at least for a while [;)] ) But oh my do I have some fin memorizes of those days- the thrill of the hunt for a new acquisition!!@@

Cornman

Thank you all for the comments. I'm always curious to hear what people have to say about the vintage gear.

I'm in the process of restoring another old Pioneer. Right now it is 90% done. When I get some time - i will take pictures of the other units i got.

Great find Yura, it looks like new. Back in the late 70's I purchased a Pioneer SX-980, had it for several months and sold it when the SX-1980 was on clearance as a discontinued model. I still have and use my SX-1980 but I am bi-amping it with my Dynaco ST-70 tube amp. My receiver is 30 years old and my tube amp & pre-amp are over 50 years old, gotta love that vintage audio gear.

Thank you all for the comments. I'm always curious to hear what people have to say about the vintage gear.

I'm in the process of restoring another old Pioneer. Right now it is 90% done. When I get some time - i will take pictures of the other units i got.

I love the vintage gear. I frequent another site and a lot of people there have vintage gear. There is something special about the glow of the lights and swinging needles. I remember an older quadraphonic outfit my dad had that had 2 sliders for front and rear speakers as well as left and right. Not to mention the tunner was in a valley and mountain formation. I would love to have it again.

Keep up the good work restoring the vintage gear!

Yes - I think these mid 70s units sound great with Klipsch speakers. They also look a lot better than anything on the shelf at audio store. The good looks also have to do with the good condition i've found it in. I very little bit of clean-up and a few small upgrades made it simply perfect.

I need to find some time to refinish the wooden cabinet for my Marantz and take pictures of both.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

I own the same receiver and I really enjoy it. I am curious about what you said about upgrading the power packs. I am interested in upgrading my receiver but I have no DIY experience with electronics. My receiver does not have the darlington power packs. Was this the case with yours? Did you upgrade to the Darlington packs or something else? Did you do any other mods/upgrades? Was the upgrade a DIY? Sorry for all the questions...your post just sparked my interest.

Thanks,

Jon