Solar-Powered Beach Dance Party on Kauai using KLIPSCH LSIs

Aloha Guys,

Well my acqusition of the LSIs set in motion a plan to have a beach party powered strictly by solar panels and batteries. I think those awesome photos by G. Kennedy with the LSIs sitting in the desert is what got me thinking and inspired. These speakers are so efficient that you can crank them to well over 110dB using a T-amp powered by 8 x AA batteries! How cool is that?

But still I wanted more juice to power a sub and other gear, so I stepped it up to a 12v-battery system the gets its power from the sun.

Because I live on Kauai (which has the highest electrical rates in the US at about .48/kWh) I am trying to promote the idea of using photovoltaic panels to either grid-tie or get completely off the grid. So I put together a small off-grid system that can be used either at home or taken apart and set up remotely to power things like our beach party. Plus in the event of another Iniki-like event where our island had no power for over 3 months (!), this set up could be really useful. [ip]

For the power side I am using a single 230W Solon Blue solar panel, a 3000W inverter, a MPPT-type charge controller and 6x 115 Amp/hr deep cycle batteries - currently I'm using this set up to power my home office and its making about 1kWh per day..hey that's over $180 per year! The system cost about $1400, but you get back ~50% as tax credits, so the final cost was $740 and at current rates the system should pay for itself in 4-5 years.

For the PA side, I'll be using the 2x split LSIs powered by a 20W T-amp by the "famous" LIHAO brand..lol...but believe me this is PLENTY loud and has very clean sound! We're adding more bass using a JBL 18" powered sub. The music is provided by a couple iPods and a battery-powered 4ch mixer. We'll be dragging all this onto Hanalei Beach tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to help! [H]

This is basically a test-run to see how everything works, but the over the summer I'm going to try and make this into a regular thing. We plan to shoot some photos and maybe even a little video...so I'll post that and let you know how it went next week.

You guys know how many little things can go wrong when you do something new like this, so wish me luck!

Good question, and the best part is the answer which is NO!

In Kauai there is no noise ordinance of any kind..no nuisance laws..nada. This sucks when your neighbor raises roosters (for fighting like mine used to do)...or barking dogs, but good when you want to have a party! And all beach is public, so no one can 'own' the beach.

But still, I want to be respectful of the folks who live up there (though in truth it's vacation rentals; not real residents..) so we're doing it from 6pm until 8pm, and we're setting up pointed towards to ocean. That way no one will get mad and we can watch the sun go down over Bali Hai.

Here's the exact spot..

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=hanalei&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hanalei,+Kauai,+Hawaii&ll=22.209537,-159.497001&spn=0.003124,0.005681&t=h&z=18

We've got a great lanai and we've let our fair share of 'strangers' sleep there...any Klispch lover would be more than welcome!

Here's a photo of the spot....you can see why I want to do this here.

http://www.cutewallpapers.net/wp-content/images//sunset_in_hanalei_1024x768.jpg

Now if the weather will cooperate..

Anyone else out there search Craigslist for "klispch" everyday like I do?

I want to be respectful of the folks who live up there (though in truth it's vacation rentals; not real residents..)

Hey, I live here.

The vacation rentals are probably less then 50% in Hanalei, at the high end.

Let'em rip though, the neighbors will probably just think it's me.

I can't believe this...this post helped me link up with 2 Klipschers here on Kauai, and HanaleiMike here lives on Aku (freakin') Road about 100 meters from where I we're doing this. Mike thanks for the offer of help and you rule!

I'll be interested to see just how loud everything really is out in the open like that and competing with the surf noise.

Also got a PM from a Klispch guy in Ele'ele. Wow! Let's all have a Klispch night at the Nui or something.

OK well now the rubber hits the road...time to get all the stuff broken down, packed into 2 trucks and hauled up to Hanalei.

Thanks again to this wonderful warm Klispch community...I participate in several forums and this is as good as it gets.

We got rained out! [st]

Unfortunately it looked nice enough for us to pack everything up and take it 25 miles to Hanalei!

A pretty heavy rain started just as we were dragging stuff onto the beach. It cleared everyone out and continued to look too sketchy to chance em. It was fine..we got a better idea of the best way to do this whole thing. So we'll try again next month.

Also George Clooney is starring in some movie that they were filming on the exact same spot that night..they had all the boom cameras there.

Thanks for all the nice comments and gonna link up with you other Kauai Klipchsers.

That's funny, I was reading your thread and wondering if you knew Mike. Now we know there's a set of LSI, Corns and Khorns on the island.

I did something similar with an SI-5 on AA's, an ipod and a pair of Heresys. Sounded good and amazed the others. Also used a laptop for source in addition to it running a Skype video connection to a guy in the Bay area. Was using a wireless net connection, running off the laptop battery. No big deal, plugged it all in and it worke.