KG4 vs Forte

Recently picked-up a pair of KG4s which I'm planning on upgrading with BC crossover upgrade and titanium dias (going to the PO to pick them up today). However, I am thinking of grabbing a pair of mint Fortes that recently came avail. I've always wanted a true 3-way design as I believe that will give the best sound reproduction (two-ways have to sacrifice something) but I'm debating if the Fortes ($450) would be a significant upgrade over the modded KG4s ($250). I have a rather small listening room (12 x 14) and not sure if it worth spending the extra cash for the Fortes would be worth it.

I know this may be an impossible question to answer, but I'm hoping to get some feedback as to help me make my mind up. I'm at 50/50 and cannot make a decision. Help!

• Moderators

I have never heard the KG4's so I can not compare. I do like the Forte's very much as many people here on the forum do also, hopefully someone with the KG's will reply.

Where are you located, if anywhere close enough to this you could try these, there not mint but there also not $450 and someone you could trust who has helped me find speakers.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/134995.aspx

I have compared KG4s to Forte IIs, and it's Forte IIs for me. The KG4 is a very good speaker but, like you said, two-ways sacrifice some of that midrange. A/B-ing between them made the KG4 sound canned compared to the Forte II. Those KG4s modded with Crites would bring it to over $400 (if you send them the crossovers). For that money, I'd get the Fortes.

Hope this helps.

By all means buy both!

Set them up A/B, and find our for yourself. First pour yourself an appropriate adult beverage, then set out a nice stack of your fave vinyl or plastic and have at it.

When you're done the KG4s will go GREAT in a spare bedroom (you do have an old schweeet vintage 2 CH set up don't you??), the basement, the garage / shop, the study, the den, the foyer, the dining room, the master bath, the portico, the head, the command center, the kitchen, the gym, the weight room, the mud room, the hallway, the attic, the office, the back of the VW bus, the duvet or the bidet, while the 3-way Fortes will make your ears happy in your pads main audio-torium digs.

"Fortes.....for when you have yet to score some Cornwalls or Chorus.." (KHorns, LaScalas, Jubes, etc etc etc etc.)

• Moderators

"Fortes.....for when you have yet to score some Cornwalls or Chorus.." (KHorns, LaScalas, Jubes, etc etc etc etc.)

Or after, add two more pair + sub and have a great sounding 6.1 Ht. [;)]

Thanks to everyone who shared their valuable opinions on this question, it looks like a landslide for the Fortes (no suprise). It's amazing that a speaker that's over 20 years old still has such a fanatical following and rates a 4.93 out of 5 at audioreview.com. The more I read, the more I like and I pulled the trigger last night. A mint pair of oiled oak orig Fortes.

In A/Bing my KG4s vs my Polk 10Bs, I have to give top end and detail to the Polks yet the KG4s have much more bottom end and a very "lush" sound to them. With a dedicated mid and a powered woofer, I can only imagine how nice the Fortes will sound. I love the retro look of these speakers as opposed to the dull, black home theater look speakers of today.

I'll be picking them up next week and I'll give my listening impressions then. Thanks again to all!

Congrats on the decision. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The other thing to consider, is the resale value of the Fortes....well on any decent Klipsch speaker really. If you keep them nice looking, you'll always be able to get your money back. I bought a set of mint walnuts from their original owner ($400) and could easily get for them what I paid. Free listening is pretty cool. I even got the mint factory boxes, so they'd walk right out of this place if I ever wanted to unload them.

If you haven't already, visit Bob Crites site http://www.critesspeakers.com/ You'll find that he's got a wealth of information and parts / upgrades for them. It's nice to know that you'll be able to enjoy them for a long time.

Enjoy your new speakers!