wud forte2 work with just 45watts amp

Is there no comparison between the two ? Having said that jbl and klipsch have two different sounds. If jbl l80s and chorusII run down to 45 hz and 39hz respectively ,then why do we feel more goody and Visceral in the lows of jbl ?

The only thing a JBL L80 has over a Chorus II is distortion.

You want to feel the bass of a Chorus II add a QSC SRA 2422 or a Crown K2 for amplification.

I had some L 80T's at one point. The titanium tweeter was very fussy...it sounded badly tinny with inferior electronics. The L80T is a rear ported design that has excellent low bass with proper placement, and a STOUT SS amp of 100 wpc or more. Listening to spyro gyra (Nu Shungo) with proper electronics, the speaker proved quite revealing with a nice transparent midrange. The aquaplas mid and woofer were well engineered.

I'd have upgraded the crossover with better caps, and enjoyed the L80t's.

JBL-L80T-Speakers-1980s-vintage__2132101

Is there no comparison between the two ? Having said that jbl and klipsch have two different sounds. If jbl l80s and chorusII run down to 45 hz and 39hz respectively ,then why do we feel more goody and Visceral in the lows of jbl ?

Who's "we?"

I have the Forte II's and a Harman/Kardon 430, which is a 45 wpc amp. I can personally say that the bass with this setup is enough to cause structural damage. The sheer amount of power in this setup is absolutely disturbing, as is the amount of bass it produces, which is almost always on the border of excessive in my opinion. The Chorus are different speakers and should be treated as such. Many people like myself think the Fortes have better bass...a larger driver does not necessarily mean more perceived bass. The Fortes are rock solid down to about 35 Hz, which is a very nice, low starting point to work with, to say the least. Bottom line, I've been running this setup for two years now and do not feel the need to upgrade any part of it, although I realize Crites' crossovers and tweeter diaphragms are in my future eventually. To say the Fortes have "visceral" bass would be a vast understatement...the way this speaker produces sound in the f-fff range when things get loud during the music as well as when they're p-ppp is just perfect...there's no blare AT ALL at high volumes (and I've had almost every person remark about that), and all of the details are perfectly presented and perfectly audible at all times. You will feel and hear the sound as if it were in the room with you. This is simply how high-end Klipsch speakers are and why Klipsch makes a better speaker than most other audio companies like JBL. If you buy the Fortes and don't like them, you will have a line out the door of members on this board willing to buy them from you depending on your location, I'm sure.

I have the Forte II's and a Harman/Kardon 430, which is a 45 wpc amp. I can personally say that the bass with this setup is enough to cause structural damage. The sheer amount of power in this setup is absolutely disturbing, as is the amount of bass it produces, which is almost always on the border of excessive in my opinion. The Chorus are different speakers and should be treated as such. Many people like myself think the Fortes have better bass...a larger driver does not necessarily mean more perceived bass.

I've used the Harman Kardon 930 which is actually rated at 45wpc. I believe the little 430 is rated at 25wpc. To do structural damage so to speak you really need to move up to the big seperate amps. My Chorus II's see a clean 500 wpc and theres no problem with bass from the 15 inch woofers. When I demoed the Quartet, Forte II and Chorus II I found the sound just got bigger as you moved up the line. All of them are basically voiced the same.

I like a nice rock solid kick drum and the hard smack of a snare.

The Forte II do have tighter bass than the chorus, while getting just about the same depth. In fact, for a medium room, the forte's sound better across the board because they match acoustics. The chorus in the same setting is a bit flabby.

The Forte II do have tighter bass than the chorus, while getting just about the same depth. In fact, for a medium room, the forte's sound better across the board because they match acoustics. The chorus in the same setting is a bit flabby.

You must be confusing the Chorus II with the Chorus I or Cornwall.

Theres no flab in a Chorus II. Chorus II has a very lean bass which some folks consider it to be bass shy. But add some watts and she lights right up.

Actually with the Forte II dropping to 32 hz it has a lower perceived bass but actually I found it to be a tad loose compared to the Chorus II. Another reason I chose the Chorus II. Can't stand loose bass. Definitely a pet peeve with me.

Not confusing anything. Forte's work better and sound tighter in a smaller room than chorus (or cornwall) do. The bigger Klipsch need more room to breathe, and not to boom. They certainly do sound wrong in a smaller room.

They sound "right" when acoustic space if provided and they aren't cramped.

Not confusing anything. Forte's work better and sound tighter in a smaller room than chorus (or cornwall) do. The bigger Klipsch need more room to breathe, and not to boom.

Well I wasn't assuming that we were listening to our Klipsch speakers in a closet.

And If I did put the Chorus II in the closet with the death grip the Crown K2 has over the woofers I would probably just hurt myself.

To the OP if I was only going to use 45 watts I would choose 45 high quality tube watts and call it a day. Maybe toss in a sub.

Well I wasn't assuming that we were listening to our Klipsch speakers in a closet.

And If I did put the Chorus II in the closet with the death grip the Crown K2 has over the woofers I would probably just hurt myself.

To the OP if I was only going to use 45 watts I would choose 45 high quality tube watts and call it a day. Maybe toss in a sub.

Speakers need more than just brute force to make the bass sound right, they need to be in a room appropriate for thier size. The room affects the sound to a great degree...something that amps alone do not overcome. Speaker placement....

Speakers need more than just brute force to make the bass sound right, they need to be in a room appropriate for thier size. The room affects the sound to a great degree...something that amps alone do not overcome. Speaker placement....

Absolutley. Also controlling a woofer in a well designed speaker sure has its payoffs.

I couldn't get my Cornwalls to tighten up even setting them outside. [N]

I couldn't get my Cornwalls to tighten up even setting them outside. No

Cornwalls seem to be a nice party/rock speaker...where a little extra boom is acceptable. I prefer the design of the Chorus equipped with a rear passive radiator, to any of the front ported designs.

• 3 weeks later...