Thorens TD-166mk2 What do I do now

I just picked this up from a forum member, or had it delivered. But what do I do now, other than turn some vinyl. So I posted some were around that I was having problems with the record player I had. I think used it as a excuse to pick up another project. I want to get some advice as much as possible other than get rid of it its not worth it. 1. is it necessary to replace the belt right off the bat. 2nd it came with a shure v15 type 3 cart with broken stylus, is this cart worth keeping and are the stylus on the bay for 15.00 worth it. 3rd kind of goes with 2, as in this one has that goofy head shell cart mount, the tone arm is a tp-11mk2 with the tp-62 wand, I could keep searching for a tp-63 wand that would accept more universal carts. Or I could get a tp-16 tone arm for any price of 75-150.00 off of the bay, Or last I could completely drop the dime a different tone arm setup all together. What I was looking at was a Rega rb-251, I have found numerous mounts for these, also I have also taken the vta in consideration. Other than platter, mats, and beefing up the suspension, is there anything all you turntable guys can offer for advice. I have posted on the vinyl engine and got no response, so I turn to my knowledgeable Klipsch friends for help. Thanks Duder

For the money you can't beat Ed's stylus replacement. I've used two of them now and they're a quality product.

IF...IF I were you, I'd play out the 166 with a good mat on it and determine if you like it the way it is.

You might be surprised how good that table/cart combo can sound.

A good phono pre section or seperate phono pre is a must. That would my first upgrade depending on your present system.

Harry

Harry

The main reason I was looking at the tonearm first was cause I once read were that will be the biggest improvement up front. I think for the price were I am setting now, unless a good deal comes up for a tonearm. I will start with the stylus you guys are speaking of. You had mentioned a mat upgrade this to if isn't costly I would be interested in that, do you have any recommendation.

thanks

Nick

Fini if it wasn't meant to be it wasn't meant to be.

Nick,

I'd listen to it for a while before I made any mods to it.

Reading about all this stuff is fine and increases knowledge about the products but...Your ears are the final judge on this stuff.

I couldn't count the upgrades to my system I've made over the years that sucked! IF they didn't suck I ended up spending some major coin and moving "sideways".

It's easy to spend money. It's harder to get value for it.

JHMO. It's all up to you.

I'll take that and run with I am ordering the stylus tonight, worried about getting that setup properly. Setting back and listening.

I guess if I was pretty happy with the last player, I shouldn't care to much about upgrades. But that could all change.

Thanks for your comments.

Nick

So you can run the Cambridge phono pre into the phono section of the reciever, is that because new recievers don't have high out puts on the phono section. Sound like your running a pre into a pre. 100.00 isn't bad for a good phono pre, I might look into those for downstairs.

Nick

Just got the Ed Saunders stylus in, can't wait to hook it up and get her playing. Luckily for me the roommate is sleeping still so that means I can't work on the basement.

Don't worry the system is up to flights of stairs so I should be jamming some tunes here in a couple of hours.

Give us your opinion on Ed's stylus after you put some listening time on it.

When I installed my first one it was a replacement for a broken shank.

The second was replacing one that was worn.

I don't have a clue as to break-in time on the stylus. The one I still have is a wonderful sounding cartridge/stylus combo.

In both replacements I liked Ed's stylus. I'd like to have had the chance to "A/B" against a good factory Shure stylus.

I have found that one of the most important "tweak" for any turntable is a good set-up LP. Without the proper set up of the tonearm/cartridge, even the most expensive combos will sound bad. I personally use a HI-Fi News test LP, but there are many others out there as well. Easily the best $30.00 you'll ever spend!

Just got the Ed Saunders stylus in, can't wait to hook it up and get her playing. Luckily for me the roommate is sleeping still so that means I can't work on the basement.

Don't worry the system is up to flights of stairs so I should be jamming some tunes here in a couple of hours.

How's the TT working out so far? I've been waiting to see what your impression is so far.

Harry

Man as much as I'd like to be listening right now, I have been so busy working on the house and my wedding. I haven't had chance to get everything going. Worse case scenario if I don't get it done this weekend I surely will on Monday, when I take the day off for my birthday.

The hole roommate sleeping didn't last long so it was strait to work on the basement last Saturday. But soon as I get a chance to listen I will report.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Dude I am freaking out, I am listening to The Wall with a new upgraded pre amp and I am hearing stuff I never herd before. This is it the bass response, the symbols his lows detail. I don't even know if the record player is working wright, but its working for me. I think I need to twist the cart a little more square but man it sounds great.

Nick.

Dude I am freaking out, I am listening to The Wall with a new upgraded pre amp and I am hearing stuff I never herd before. This is it the bass response, the symbols his lows detail. I don't even know if the record player is working wright, but its working for me. I think I need to twist the cart a little more square but man it sounds great.

Nick.

By "twisting" the cartridge, what do you mean? Setup is very important for good vinyl playback. Go to vinyl engine and print out a two point protractor, if you haven't already done so. You'll be happy you did.