Headphone recommendations for active life cycling and Running

jtubbs6117

Just looking for some input, I have tossed my original apple buds due to the fact they blow out of my ears while riding. I love to ride my bike, i try to ride 100 miles a week. I walk and jog some, but the issue is the noise reduction from the wind noise or the problem of them blowing out. So the one thing I feel i know i am looking for in-ear. Please tell me what kind of experiences you have or what headphone you own what you like about them or if you don't. Thank for your time.

I like to use my in ears for when I'm cutting the yard, cutting fields, working with my backhoe/loader or even like today... when I'm helping the wife plant flowers and spread four truckloads of mulch.

I went for the Custom 3's which I think they've discontinued (but are probably still available at reduced prices?)

I bought this type because I specifically wanted the ear wrap. I figured it would help hold them into place while doing things. I also wear some OVER ear protection muffs while working with this equipment and these fit right under them.

I'm in my own little music world while the tractor is grunting away. Best of both worlds if you ask me. Those little "stick" type that are easy in, easy out....well...for my use the "easy out" says it all. I want them to stay put.

For decent CHEAP phones, I purchased a pair of Philips SHS5200 on amazon.com for around $10, and they actually sound pretty good considering the price. They wrap around the back of your head & have a reflective strap for safety. They also have a cool little relief bungie that prevents the wire from pulling out at the headphone.

I had originally purchased Custom 1s for running/biking....did not work out so well due to 'sweating' and found them constantly falling off...plus I still want to be able to hear cars/people easily to be better aware of my surroundings....central park, nyc.

I got Sennheiser PMX 70's for $25. Found that the around the neck works best, plus they are 'water resistant' for runing in rain.

• 10 months later...

I very seldom respond to forums, but this one jumped all over me. I have been an avid cycylist for over 20 years, and ride rought 5,000 miles per year, and have ALWAYS been told that you do not listen to handheld devices when cycling. For a guy that supposedly rides 100 miles per week, you are nuts if you are sticking earbuds in your ears in traffic. You would be unaware of any dangers around you, and it is pretty irresponsible to me, but it is your life. If our group, which consists of 15 to 20 pretty hardcore riders encounters anyone with phones hanging out of their ears, will refuse to ride with them. Your choice.

The S4i earbuds will stay in very well if inserted properly. I don't use them when I ride outside, but do when I'm on the trainer during the winter.

One thing you could try is to insert them upside down and route the wire up over your earlobe for extra security.

As for riding outside with earphones, I say to each their own. ;)

The S4i earbuds will stay in very well if inserted properly. I don't use them when I ride outside, but do when I'm on the trainer during the winter.

One thing you could try is to insert them upside down and route the wire up over your earlobe for extra security.

As for riding outside with earphones, I say to each their own. ;)

I don't wear earphones while riding a bike outside or while skiing. I really need to hear what is going on around me (plus not allowed to wear earphones while on ski patrol duty anyway). Maybe if you are trail riding way out in the boonies is one thing, but definitly not while riding on roads with other traffic (plus it may even be illegal)

That being said, I also have to agree with the S4/S4i (the "i" variant has the integrated remote for iPods/iPhones). I use the S4s myself for working out at the gym and they do stay in place. The "insert upside-down and route wire over the back of the ear" thing does work and that is how I use them while working out. Plus, at only $80/pair, they are fairly inexpensive, but sound friggan incredible for such a relatively inexpensive headphone (I'd be willling to put these up against others that cost twice as much in terms of sound quality).

• 2 weeks later...